Stokesley AC - Mike Winney Memorial Trophy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Simon R

Site Supporter
Date:- Sunday 9th February 2003
Venue:- Renny Lake, East Harlsey, North Yorks

Back to Renny again for our first match of the New Year (should have been our second but no-one turned up for the first one [:(!] - except me)

As usual, Jeff the owner hadn't reserved us any pegs and on arrival we found a couple of Wilton AC lads pleasure fishing the plumb pegs in the middle of the big bay. Geoff was getting a fish a chuck on the bomb and maggot, whilst Steve was getting odd ones alongside him on the pole.
Here's one that Geoff landed shortly after we arrived
Datafile3.jpg

There was ten of us actually fishing the match and once the draw was done Anth found himself on the same peg that he'd won a Wilton match off a couple of weeks previously and Col got as close to Geoff as he could - at one point I thought he was gonna sit on his knee [:p]

The rest of use were spread around the lake, although everyone avoided the far-end which is very shallow and never fishes at this time of year. A steady stream of pleasure anglers arrived whilst we were tackling up and by the time I shouted "Time" at 10am the place was pretty full.

I was fishing on the point opposite the first island (the same peg I'd had a couple of matches ago) and found the deepest part of my peg at 7m, after which the bottom gently shelved up towards the island some 20m away. I set up two rigs for the 7m line (one for maggot/caster and one for corn/worm) and two for the 11m line (for the same baits). I also set up a feeder rod, to fish a maggot feeder across towards the island - although I didn't really expect to use it.

Anth was the first to land a carp, a fish of four or five pound coming to the net after only ten minutes. Fred behind me lost a decent fish on the whip shortly afterwards and Col had already pulled out of two (probably foul-hooked). I was catching steadily - but only small roach, until I managed to snare a chub of a couple of pounds afer 30 minutes or so.

Geoff Layton had caught an early carp but managed to lose this one
Datafile3.jpg

After a couple of hours Anth was well in front, a steady sucession of carp to 8lbs gave him around 20lbs+. Col had a lot of fish in front of him, but they weren't really feeding resulting in loads of foul-hooked (and consequently lost) fish. Geoff had also stopped catching and although Keith was getting a few fish they were mainly roach which wasn't going to make much of an impact on the leaders.

By 2pm Anth's swim had died but the fish in front of Col had started feeding properly and he was getting one-a-chuck. It was a question of whether he could catch enough to overhaul Anth.

I'd been switching back and forth between different lines, picking up odd roach here and there until at just after 2pm the float buried and I found myself attached to a 'proper' fish. I'd already lost two foul-hooked carp and this felt very much as though it was also hooked somewhere other than the mouth. After a lengthy battle I landed a mirror carp of about 6lb which was firmly hooked in the root of its anal fin.

With twenty minutes to go the sun came out and it was so bright I could barely make out my float. I decided to give the feeder rod a go and chucked a maggot feeder out about 5m off the island (it was more out of desperation than hope - John alongside me had been fishing the feeder on and off for most of the day, without a bite).

Thirty seconds after hitting the water the tip went round and I struck into another decent chub of about a pound and a half [:D]. That was safely landed and I chucked the feeder out again, had to wait about a minute this time before I got another bite. This time I had a lengthy battle before landing a long lean common weighing about 5lbs. I didn't have time to chuck in again, calling 'Time' just as I dropped the fish into the net. Why didn't I go over there earlier[?][?]

At the weigh-in Colin had done enough, his carp weighing 34lbs 3oz
Datafile3.jpg

Anth was a clear second, weighing in 28lbs 6oz (unfortunately his two biggest carp have rather obscured the rest of his catch)
Datafile3.jpg

My net of mirror and common carp, chub, roach and a single rudd weighed in at 18lbs 2oz (and I've just realised that's five species for the Fishing Race[:D][:D])
Datafile3.jpg

Final Results
1st Colin Owen 34lbs 3oz (guest)
2nd Anth Stock 28lbs 6oz (guest)
3rd Simon Robson 18lbs 2oz
4th Geoff Layton 9lbs 9.5oz (guest)
5th Keith Morris 7lbs 3oz
6th Fred Nemeth 2lbs 8oz
7th John Lancaster 2lbs 0oz (guest)
8th Mal Longden 1lbs 8oz (guest)
9th Dave Morris 0lbs 14oz
10th Steve Golightly 0lbs 12.5oz

The ten anglers weighed in 105lbs 2oz in total, averaging 10.5lbs per person.

For the money (4/day)I reckon this little fishery is the best in the north-east. Its a shame that Jeff the owner only allows matches from October to the end of March - the weights in summer could be unbelievable.

Next match is two weeks today - our annual Grayling match on the River Swale at Catterick, followed by the last match of the season, back on Renny Lake again on the 9th March.

Tight Lines

Simon

nefisherman

You were extremely quick getting this one up Simon. Another great match report. Great pictures, keep it up. Shame I fouled and lost so many fish (pulled out of nine and got wiped out by one). This is the first time I've written here so I haven't got my head round all the smileys and stuff. Great day out.

Robert T

Great report Simon, glad the carp came out to play.Good turn out for Febuary.

Robert T
NUFC

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Nice and detailed report Simon [:)]

Looks like we'll have to pay it a visit

Dave

Peter

'Mugger'
Staff member
Site Supporter
Simon,
Great report & Pics mate [:D]
One question, The Mike Winney Memorial Trophy.
Is this the same chap who had "up for the cup" and other humerous stories published in David Hall's Coarse Fishing,some time ago?

Peter.

Make Friends,
Go Maggotdrowning.

MALC

Well done Simon on yet another indepth report and some great pics as well.[:D]

Well done to all the lads. [:D]

MALC
IT'S CATCHING ...BUT ARE YOU !!!

Simon R

Site Supporter
Peter

Yep - the same guy, he was match secretary of Stokesley AC until he died (that dubious honour then passing to me)

There's a bench dedicated to him down at our club lake (Tontine Pond) and his ashes were scattered at the same place.

Simon

orvil

yeh good day simon as you no me /col and ath stayed on for extra hour or so with it been a nice settling night . ath had ten put outs with the pole ten carp to the net all nice lumps 5lbs up over. i had five more with the loss of four one at the net looking a good common of about 12lbs.cols swim had died a deaf but it was hectic finsh of the day.

Status
Not open for further replies.