Stokesley AC - Last Cast Trophy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Simon R

Site Supporter
Venue: Renny Lake, East Harlsey, North Yorks
Date: 9th March 2003

Our last match of the season (as the trophy name suggests) and we were back at our second home - Renny Lake.

Eleven anglers turned up for the 9am draw, so we only used the pegs on the south side of the lake (nearest the car-park). Renny Lake is rather open to the elements so with a very strong westerly wind blowing the length of the lake, long-pole tactics were going to be something of a waste of a time.

The general concenus of opinion was that the higher the number you drew, the better due a) the strength of the wind and b) the depth of water - I was less than pleased to draw peg 2 [:(!]

Datafile3.jpg

This was the view across my peg, I found the deepest part of the swim was at 3.5m so decided to fish there! To be honest I wasn't really expecting to catch a great deal, its not a peg with any form at all.

A few brave souls started fishing at 13m but with top sections flying off rests, Keiths net-bag going for a swim and various other inanimate objects taking to the air, it rapidly became a match for the short pole or the tip.

Norm and Keith were pleasure fishing on the far-bank but even they eventually took shelter at the top-end of the lake. After a couple of hours (and about 10 roach in the net) I decided to have a wander along and see who was catching. Ricky was on the end of the point and had snared a carp on the tip plus a couple of dozen roach on the pole and bloodworm - he was well in the lead. The only other sizable fish was a chub of about the 2.5lb mark which Watto had caught on the pole.

Col Owen alongside me on peg 3 gave up at 1pm, he'd struggled with the pole for over an hour before switching to the tip but the wind was so strong it was almost impossible to put the lead in the same place twice.

Late on Steve Wilson caught a chub and a carp and Geoff Screen on peg 1 hooked and lost a brace of carp - the first one rolled almost at my feet and it was a good sized fish - certainly over 5lb.
Datafile3.jpg
Geoff playing his second carp

I'd been catching roach at intervals and also managed to snare a bonus tench of 12oz or so but thought I might make fourth or fifth at best.

The final results were:
1st Ricky Brown 21lb 2oz (Peg 10)
Datafile3.jpg

2nd Simon Robson 6lb 10oz (Peg 2)
Datafile3.jpg

3rd Steve Wilson (guest) 6lb 6oz (Peg 9)
Datafile3.jpg

4th Dave Williams 5lb 8oz (Peg 8)
Datafile3.jpg

5th Dave Watson (guest) 5lb 4.5oz (Peg 13)
6th Geoff Screen (guest) 3lb 14oz (Peg 1)
7th Roy Brown 3lb 9oz (Peg 5)
8th Keith Harris 2lb 10oz (Peg 11)

Col Owen (Peg 3) DNW
Anth Stock (Peg 4) DNW
Peter Weatherley (Peg 6) DNW

Without the wind I'm sure todays match would have seen a number of double-figure weights, it was certainly mild enough.

Thats it for another season - it all starts again with the first of our evening matches at Stony Lane Pond on May 21st.

Tight Lines

Simon

Last edited:

norm

good report simon
god that wind was strong

Peter

'Mugger'
Staff member
Site Supporter
Nice report & photo's Simon.[:D]

Peter.

Make Friends,
Go Maggotdrowning.

teepee

12/04/02 - 10/01/19
In Memoriam
Good report Simon & well done with 2nd,

teepee.

mookie

mookie
[:D][:D][:D][:D]

Heres to the next Maggotdrowners match on this pond in a field......

Well done Simon....[:p]
Hulltyke < Steve> has emailed me asking when the next fun match is...
Anyone with ideas......

Cheers

MOOKSTER....[:D][:D][:D][:D]

carper2002

'Ronnie'
great report congrats on coming second Simon well done bud see you at Renee
cheers

RONNIE (carper2002) a smoggy and proud

Status
Not open for further replies.