Stokesley AC - Hargreave Trophy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Simon R

Site Supporter
Date: Sunday 22nd September 2002
Venue: Renny Lake, East Harlsey, North Yorks

This was our first match of the season on this venue (and also the first official match ever, other than a couple of knock-ups we'd organised back in February), so it was going to be interesting to see how it would fish under match conditions.

The lake is around an acre in size and contains 51 permanent pegs, the main species are carp, chub and roach with lesser numbers of tench and rudd. Its only been open officially since March this year, although the fish are not as new, having been transferred from the owners previous pond at Stoney Lane. We had a considerably better turnout than recently, fourteen anglers turning up for the 9am draw. We had fifteen pegs reserved, all along the back of the lake, in front of the boundary hedge.

Recent catches from the lake seemed to suggest that the carp sport had tailed off somewhat and the silver fish were showing in good numbers. With this in mind I had decided to fish maggot, chopped worm and caster, going for quantity rather than quality. I shouted time at 10am and five minutes later Phil on the adjacent peg to me hooked (and landed) this fish.
Datafile2.jpg
Followed ten minutes later by this one
Datafile2.jpg

Fifteen minutes gone and Phil had around 9lb in the net, my plans regarding silver fish now appeared to be something of a waste of time!
Phil was fishing sweetcorn across towards the far bank (at 11m), feeding corn and soft pellet. I followed suit but without success.

Whilst chatting to Phil I happened to mention the Trent fish-in and the MD's and from behind this brolly
Datafile2.jpg
appeared the smiling face of the infamous peg-hopper Norm (not immeadiately recognisable due to the coat covering his jumper[:p])

After a couple of hours with no carp forthcoming I had a wander round to chat to Norm and on my return was just in time to see Watto landing his tenth good-sized chub.
Datafile2.jpg
He was fishing the pole at 13m, with chopped-worm in a slightly deeper channel between two islands. It was debatable who was leading at this point, Phil had eight carp but was struggling whereas Watto was catching chub fairly steadily.

Other than Phil nobody had caught a carp but late on, odd fish started to show, Graham landing one of four or five pounds closely followed by Dave Morris landing this slightly smaller one.
Datafile2.jpg

With fifteen minutes to go it was difficult to say who was winning, both Watto and Phil claiming 35-40lbs. Then Phil hooked another BIG carp which took him all over the lake until he managed to land it five minutes after the match finished. This fish weighed 9lbs 8oz and that together with his other fish gave him 52lbs 4oz, beating his own club match record of 48lb 7oz (caught at Carpvale back in July) and, since this was the first match on the lake setting a lake record in the process.

Final results:
1st Phil Noble (Peg 2) 52lbs 4oz
Datafile2.jpg

2nd Dave Watson (Peg 9) 39lbs 12oz
Datafile2.jpg

3rd Graham Lowery (Peg 12) 25lbs 3oz
Datafile2.jpg

4th Peter Helm (Peg 10) 11lbs 6.5oz
5th Dave Morris (Peg 6) 6lbs 6oz
6th Keith Harris (Peg 14) 3lbs 7oz
7th James Turnbull (Peg 7) 2lbs 0oz
8th Simon Robson (Peg 3) 1lb 0.5oz
9th Steve Golightly (Peg 1) 9oz
DNW Roy Brown (Peg 4)
DNW Tony Shaw (Peg 5)
DNW Chris Brown (Peg 8)
DNW Robert Turnbull (Peg 11)
DNW Arthur Cairns (Peg 15)

Some excellent catches in places but the lake proved to be rather 'peggy', the expected numbers of roach didn't show and hence if you couldn't catch a carp or chub you were going to struggle.

We've got another three matches on this venue later this year and it will be interesting to see what gets caught when the colder weather sets in.

Next club match is the annual pike championship on the Tontine Lake on October 13th.

Peter

'Mugger'
Staff member
Site Supporter
Nice report Simon,
Just the one question,How many peoples pegs was Norm musseling in on[?][?][?][:D]

Peter.

Make Friends,Go Maggotdrowning.

norm

now now boys [:D]

good to see ya simon [:)]

and it was good for you to see me [8D]

see yas later
norm

Last edited:

Simon R

Site Supporter
Actually Peter, Norm was very well behaved, he barely moved all day.
And despite what Teepee says he didn't try and scrounge any bait either. LOL

Simon

G

LoL Peter [^][^][^]

Good report Simon and good pics m8.
So norm the peg hopper was there was he ?????? he told me he was'nt fishing this week end with going to the trent weekend,

Ring you later norm [;)][;)][;)][;)]
See you at the trent Simon

i'm going to bait up
Andy

MALC

Nice report and pictures Simon
Keep em coming

Malc
Fish with Friends @ MaggotDrowning.com

Status
Not open for further replies.