Stokesley AC - Hargreave Memorial Trophy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Simon R

Site Supporter
Venue:- Renny Lake, East Harlsey, North Yorks
Date:- Sunday 1st December

Back to Renny Lake again for our latest match, the third time on this venue this season. Nine hardy souls turned up for this match, the rain and wind howling across the lake as we arrived.

Jeff Whittaker, the owner of the lake, hadn't reserved us any pegs, he just told us to fish where we liked, so in order to keep everyone happy I put numbers 1-9 in the draw bag and whoever drew no.1 got 1st choice of pegs, no.2, 2nd choice and so on.

Only Phil and Keith elected to fish the north bank with the wind and rain in their face, Phil fishing the same peg he caught over 50lb from back in September. The rest of us elected for comfort,fishing with the wind off our backs.

I plumped for the big bay, as did Roy, Graham Hall and Bezzy. Ricky and Tony fished the shallower pegs at the top end of the lake and Graham Lowery fished alongside the first island (where I'd won the previous match from)

The rain was getting even heavier so I decided to try and get the old brolly up, clamped it to the side of my box, stood up to afix a guyrope - and the whole bloody lot blew into the lake [:(!]
I now know that Little Gem 5-drawer boxes are not waterproof!

The match kicked off at 10am and Tony decided he'd had enough after about 30 seconds, packed up and went home. Everyone bar Keith started on the pole, Keith fishing the feeder with big baits looking for carp.
Roy, Ricky and Graham Lowery were all fishing bloodworm and joker and they were the first to start catching. The rest of us were mainly on chopped worm and caster.

Datafile2.jpg
Typical Renny Lake roach

A few carp had been hooked, most of them foul-hooked but none had been landed until Bez hooked into this one.
Datafile2.jpg

This was also foul-hooked but after a lengthy scrap it was landed.

Graham Lowery and Ricky were the early leaders, catching a roach a chuck on bloodworm, Rickys fish were very small and it wasn't until he switched to caster that he started getting the 6-8oz fish.

I was struggling to keep the fish coming, I'd pot some chopped worm in, catch from over it but the swim would die after only a couple of fish. Initially I thought I was overfeeding and cut right back on the feed, but after a bit of experimentation I realised I wasn't feeding enough. The only trouble was if you fed too much, the roach woud start coming up in the water and it took ages to get em back on the deck again.

After five hours of braving the elements I think everyone was quite pleased when I called 'time' at 3pm.

Graham Lowery won the match - his all roach catch weighing 16lb 2oz, he also managed to pull out of five carp (all foul-hooked by the way they took off)
Datafile2.jpg

Graham Hall took 2nd spot by the smallest of margins - 0.5oz
He also had all roach, except for a bonus carp of a couple of pounds, he weighed 12lb 10oz.
Datafile2.jpg

Ricky Brown was 3rd - another all roach catch, weighing 12lb 9.5oz
Datafile2.jpg

Richie Bezemer finished fourth, the only angler to land two carp, he weighed 8lb 6.5oz
Datafile2.jpg

5th Roy Brown 4lb 10oz
6th Simon Robson 4lb 8.5oz
7th Phil Noble 3lb 15oz
8th Keith Harris DNW
9th Tony Shaw - retired

Back to Renny again next week (8th December) and if any MD's would like to take part let me know, it'll only cost you a 1 more than your day-ticket, the sweeps are optional, so the more the merrier.

Tight Lines

Simon

Robert T

Good report Simon,is it going to be on seat-box drowning.com
Daft question, whats MD ? We wont be there this weekend but will definetly be there for Xmas cheer whatever the weather.

Did you see how NUFC helped to get Boro into Asia for the summer tournament, and guranteed them 500,000 to 1,000,000
They might get Europe one day !!! With our help !

Robert Turnbull
NUFC

teepee

12/04/02 - 10/01/19
In Memoriam
Nice report Simon, nice to see plenty of fish even though the conditions were against you.

teepee.

MALC

Good report Simon (pity no picture of the box)[;)][;)]

MALC
Datafile2.asp
IT'S CATCHING ...BUT ARE YOU !!!

scott essery

'Silver man'
Nice one simon

Better report than Malc does [;)]

but it looked BLOODY cold! [:(]

Maybe Kev's not such an odd ball afterall ... mind you he swaps fishing for footie .. ummm then again [;)]

silver man

Simon R

Site Supporter
Sorry Malc - I know I should have taken a photo of my box bobbing on the waves - but I gotta admit it wasn't exactly the first thought that came into my head [:p][:p]

Robert MD's is us - maggotdrowners - so if anyone wants to come along to the next match on Sunday, they'll be more than welcome - a few of the regs are away fishing the last round of the North East Winter League.

And Scott - yes it was bloody cold - but then we're used to it up here in the frozen north. [:D]

Tight Lines

Simon

Last edited:

granjuiceymoose

'Grinch'
Love to fish it but am fishing the thornaby christmas cheer!!! [;)] wish me luck. Last year i got 171 minnows (only math they count in) and 11oz of grayling lol But its a days fishing[:D]

Tight lines [:D]

Status
Not open for further replies.