Stokesley AC - Golden Jubilee Trophy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Simon R

Site Supporter
Date: Sunday 8th September 2002
Venue: Brafferton Fisheries (Spring Lake)

This was our second match of the season on this venue, the first back in June being very disappointing. Brafferton Fisheries for those who don't know is a three (soon to be four) lake complex four miles south of Topcliffe. Island Pond was the first to be constructed and holds good numbers of large carp (I'm fairly sure Dave and Stu have fished it); matches are held on here, but not very frequently. Ghost Lake as the name implies is stocked almost exclusively with ghost carp, I haven't fished it personally but it seems to be one of those venues on which you either 'bag-up' or blank. Spring Lake is the largest of the lakes, containing 55 pegs, and contains a real mix of species, chiefly carp (from 4oz to 15lb), ide, rudd, roach and tench.

Only seven of us turned up for this match, rumours of recent poor catches keeping a few away. We had pegs 3 to 23 reserved for us, I missed out the first ten pegs since these are very shallow and Saturday night had been quite chilly and so we fished alternate pegs from 11 to 23.

I drew peg 21 (the only peg without a feature to fish to) and cupped in a good pot-full of chopped worm and caster at 8m, before fishing the waggler at 20 yards. After 15 minutes (and only one bite) I binned the waggler and concentrated on the pole. Fishing worm on the hook I started catching small ide and little (4oz) carp and probably had around 2lb after an hour or so. I was at least a pound ahead of anyone else at this stage but constant loose feeding of casters had atracted hordes of tiny rudd and no matter what I did I couldn't get through them. I potted in another big cup of chopped worm, to try and get the fish back down on the bottom, whilst this 'settled' I had a little walk along to see what was getting caught.

Keith fishing to the island had caught three little carp and this was his fourth.
Datafile.jpg Datafile.jpg

Returning to my peg, I still couldn't get any better fish, so decided to fish the whip and see just how quick I could catch the little rudd. They were tiny though (probably 30 to the pound) and it was obvious I wasn't going to do a weight of them, so I returned to fishing at full depth with a bigger worm on and hope for a carp.

With about 30 minutes left I reckoned I had around 4lb, Richie was claiming the same and John was probably a pound behind. Richie had been fishing cat-meat and had hooked and lost two good sized carp, he switched to fishing a light rig (no.6 elastic and a 0.08 hook-length) and hooked another carp.
3.25pm - Its not very big says Richie
Datafile.jpg
3.48pm - I'm gonna net it now
Datafile.jpg

Whilst Richie was battling with this carp, John hooked first this one (around 4lb)
Datafile.jpg
and then landed this smaller one
Datafile.jpg

Meanwhile with 2 minutes to go - he's still playing it!
Datafile.jpg
Until finally, 5 minutes after the end of the match - its in the net
Datafile.jpg

The carp weighed 6lb 13oz and together with his other fish gave Richie 12lb 3oz and his third win of the season.
Datafile.jpg

John Forth finished second, the two late carp plus a decent tench and a few bits weighing 9lb 11oz
Datafile.jpg

I finished third, my net of small ide, a couple of little carp and some minute rudd going 4lb 11oz
Datafile.jpg

4th Steve Golightly 2lb 2oz (all small rudd/ide on the whip)
5th Keith Harris 1lb 14oz (five small carp)
6th Graham (Patriot) 9.5oz (1 ide)
Datafile.jpg

Not the best match we've ever had but the winning weight was similar to last season. Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be as many silver fish as in previous years and although big carp were crashing about and swirling everywhere only two sizeable ones were landed.

Next match in a fortnights time at Renny Lake - that should be interesting.

MALC

Good report and pictures Simon,

Regards the venue not fishing well i think it's pretty much the same every where at the moment and as it's now getting colder at night i think it's going to get tougher.

Malc
Fish with Friends @ MaggotDrowning.com

patriot

Nice report simon cant wait for renny lake put john and myself down to fish.I am determined to do bettert this time not bothering with the waggler next time round think i will try the pole.Keep up the good work mate.

Patriot.

Peter

'Mugger'
Staff member
Site Supporter
Nice report and photo's Simon.
As Malc says it looks as if Autumn is sneaking in,bound to affect things i'm afraid.
Still,beats decorating.icon_smile_big.gif

Peter.

Make Friends,Go Maggotdrowning.

Status
Not open for further replies.