Stokesley AC - Bob Taylor Memorial Cup

Status
Not open for further replies.

Simon R

Site Supporter
Venue:- Carpvale (Front Lake)
Date:- 14th July 2002

This was the 4th match of the season and the first to be held at Carpvale (one of my favourite venues) The front lake is a small pond with 19 permanent pegs, although, to be honest, more than about 15 anglers and it gets a bit tight (especially in the corners)

Datafile.jpg

I was pegged in the middle of that row of anglers and without having a feature to fish to, I decided to fish the pole and waggler. There were a lot of fish moving in front of me and first cast on the waggler the float buried and I struck into something which came adrift almost straight away - the scale I retreived confirmed that I had foul-hooked the fish. This happened twice more in short succession so I decided to bin the waggler and concentrate on the pole.

Fish were already being caught - Tony to my left about to land a small mirror of about 2lbs.

Datafile.jpg

Despite having fed a number of lines on the pole and trying a variety of baits and methods, the hoped for carp were not showing for me, so I decided to have a little wander and see what everyone else was doing.

Phil was on one of the fancied pegs, at the end of the second island, however he'd struggled fishing up against it so had switched to fishing at 16m right into the corner of the lake (in about a foot of water). He was fishing possibly the simplest method there is - two feet of 0.14diameter line to a size 12 hook and big lump of floating bread - the photos below show the result:-

Datafile.jpg Datafile.jpg Datafile.jpg

The front runners at this stage of the match seemed to be Phil, Richie (fishing alongside Phil but fishing cat-meat at full depth against the island) and Chris fishing two pegs from myself, fishing cat-meat into open water.

However Chris's peg died and he has was rapidly overhauled by Graham fishing almost opposite him who was getting a fish a chuck, using soft pellets up in the water.

I still couldn't buy a bite fishing for the carp, so decided to have a bit of fun for the last hour, fishing the whip for the hordes of little rudd, orfe and ide. (I should have switched earlier because I weighed 6lb 10oz of them at the end)

The end result was as follows

1st Phil Noble (Peg65) 48lb 7oz (a new club record)
Datafile.jpg

2nd Graham Lowery (Peg60) 43lb 9oz (which also beat the old club record)
Datafile.jpg

3rd Richie Newton (Peg66) 38lb 4oz (note the 2lb+ eel, which took some landing)
Datafile.jpg

4th Ricky Brown (Peg73) 23lb 13oz
5th Roy Brown (Peg58) 21lb 11oz
6th Dave Watson (Peg56) 20lb 10oz
7th Chris Brown (Peg69) 14lb 13oz
8th Josh Newton (Peg67) 12lb 10oz

In all the 14 anglers weighed in almost 260lb of fish, with a naverage weight of 18lb 8oz per angler - in terms of weight the best club match we've ever had. A special mention should go to Josh who finished 8th - he's only ten years old but beat a lot of much more experienced anglers (including me icon_smile_blush.gif)

Next match is the all-nighter (8.30pm - 8.30am) at our club lake (Tontine Pond) - I very much doubt if the weights will come close to those above.

Peter

'Mugger'
Staff member
Site Supporter
Simon,
Nice Report,and photo's.
Sounds like a good day was had by all.

Peter.

Make Friends,Go Maggotdrowning.

Ziptrev

05/10/01 - 18/10/02
In Memoriam
Nice one Simon,
Particularly interested to see that you have a 12 hour all-nighter coming up!!!

Sounds like a fun club for fishing nutters!
Where do I join LOL
(You'll probably get a 'Do you keep the fish in nets for TWELVE hours???' post now, from some killjoy, who rarely goes themselves and sits and knocks!) LOL

Keep 'em coming

Trev

Ziptrev
Shouldn't happen to a DOG!

MALC

Nice report and pictures Simon,

I remember years ago fishing a couple of 12hr night matches and they were a good laugh we stopped half way through for food (mobile van) and to weigh any one in that had caught (not many did).
Then we carried on till Breakfast was cooked and every one enjoyed it and we even raised a few 's for charity to boot.

So have a good time and enjoy yourself.

Malc
Fish with Friends @ MaggotDrowning.com

Simon R

Site Supporter
Thanks for the comments guys

Actually we have two 'all-nighters' every year (well apart from last year when foot and mouth forced us to cancel them).

We also have the Early Morning Cup, which has a 4am draw. At one time we used to meet in the pub the night before, make the draw there, after which you could go down to the lake and pre-bait for the following morning.

At one time we held all our matches on our own club waters but dwindling attendances meant we had to 'bite the bullet' and now about two-thirds are held on commercial fisheries (at the end of the day even match anglers want to get a few bites I suppose)

Anyway the all-nighter is this Friday, so I'll let you know how we get on.

Tight Lines

Simon

Status
Not open for further replies.