Stokesley AC - Annual Cup

Status
Not open for further replies.

Simon R

Site Supporter
Venue:- Elmfield Pond, Bedale, North Yorks
Date:- Sunday 1st September 2002

Our latest match was on the small, 20 peg, Elmfield Pond near Bedale. Myself and a couple of the other lads had fished the lake last summer and had 10-15lbs every visit, consisting of small carp, crucians, roach, skimmers (and some proper bream), chub, perch and gudgeon.

The lake is basically long and thin, with a central island, which is only 7 or 8m away plus a couple of circular islands at one end of the lake where it widens out slightly. Its also unusual in being 6 or 7 feet deep with no shelf against the island - its almost a vertical wall.

This is the view along the front of the lake
Datafile.jpg
and this is the other side
Datafile.jpg

That very 'fishy' looking area in the foreground of the first photo, with all the lily pads was my peg icon_smile_big.gif

I shouted time at 10am, cupped in chopped worm against the island and a good helping of corn and pellet next to the lily pads and ................... nothing happened!

I couldn't buy a bite, neither could Graham alongside me or Richie next to him. Roy and Steve fishing on pegs 19 & 20 next to the small circular islands had a small carp each early on, but for the first hour no-one else had a bite. I was reduced to fishing single pinkie on a 22, but still couldn't get a bite. Ricky on peg 5 finally caught a little crucian and then a few roach and other odd fish showed here and there but basically it was cr*p.

By 2pm half the lads had had enough, including Roy who'd caught 5 little carp and a chub. I weighed in the lads who wanted to go and the rest of us persevered for another hour and then we too jacked in (an hour early)

The results were:-
1st Roy Brown Peg 19 5lbs 6.5oz
Datafile.jpg

2nd Ricky Brown Peg 5 1lb 0.5oz
Datafile.jpg
(These are his two better fish)

3rd Lee O'Connor Peg 15 15.5oz
Datafile.jpg

4th Steve Golightly Peg 20 14.5oz
Datafile.jpg

5th Graham Turner Peg 14 10.5oz
6th Dave Watson Peg 12 7.5oz
7th John Forth Peg 6 7.0oz
Keith Harris Peg 4 DNW
Dave Morris Peg 7 DNW
Richie Newton Peg 8 DNW
Graham Lowery Peg 9 DNW
Simon Robson Peg 10 DNW
Andrew Harris Peg 13 DNW

Basically a fairly disastrous day!
The lake doesn't get match-fished very often but the winning weights are generally around 12-15lbs so why we struggled so badly is a mystery. I don't think I'll be booking a match on there next season - I'd probably get lynched icon_smile_tongue.gif

Spring Lake at Brafferton next week - surely things can't get any worse.

Tight Lines

Simon

angler-mark

Simon, Don't worry mate, our last 3 matches have been the same, I think it's something to do with the weather, catches have been poor all around this area just lately, maybe the fish are on holiday! icon_smile_big.gificon_smile_big.gificon_smile_big.gif

Tight Lines

Mark

patriot

Nice article mate lets hope braffy fishes better next week.
Enjoyed reading about ireland look forward to reading second part.
Keep up the good work mate and see you at braffy on sunday.

Simon R

Site Supporter
Graham

I see you managed to register in the end icon_smile_tongue.gif

The second part of my Ireland trip is on the same thread - just a bit further up the page, keep looking - you'll find it

Simon

Status
Not open for further replies.