Stockton Res Sunday 5th Jan 2003

Status
Not open for further replies.

MALC

Well after suffering with no car since early December [:(] and not getting any fishing in since Dec 12th [:(]

Steve is taking me to Stockton Reservoir [:)] (nr Coventry) on Sunday 5th for a days pleasure fishing as he's fedup with me keep moaning about being sat at home.

So if anyone is at a loose end on Sunday your find 2 cold and proberly wet souls (plus RED) sat trying to get the elastic pulled.

Can't remember the last time i went this long with out going fishing it's doing my head in bash.gif

MALC
IT'S CATCHING ...BUT ARE YOU !!!

steve wilson

changed my mind count me back in
i suppose someone has to take you and show you how it should be done

MALC

As you can see it's now 7am and i'm wrighting this between drinking a coffee and sorting my bait out.

Got in from work at 6.30am and during the night the Temp went down to -4 so it'll be a bit chilly.

On the walk home from work i crossed over the Oxford Canal and no surpirise it's frozen over (so the ice breaker will go today just incase).

Steve's picking me up at 9 as in the winter Stockton is normally dead till midday (proberly dead all day after the frost).

Hopefully we'll get a bite or two but i'll do a report when we return anyway.

MALC

Polepot

Poles
I was thinking of joining you two but even the D word is attractive with weather like this. Best of luck hope you don't get frostbite - maybe the only bites you get LOL

Poles

Great info, great guys, great fun, thats Maggot Drowners

MALC

Bit late with this report as i fell asleep after getting home and having a bit of grub, but here's todays report.

Well Steve turned up at 9am with his normal winter cheery attitude
"it's Bloody cold we must be mad"

But hey were anglers and whats a bit of cold when you've not been fishing for a few weeks.[:)][:)]

So after loading the gear in the car off we set for Stockton reservoir.[:)]

On the way we chatted about the days fishing that lay ahead and a plan of attack was formulated which involved fishing the deeper pegs on the Dam wall into open water with a small feeder and maggot with no worry about what we caught but just to enjoy the days fishing.[:D]

We pulled into the car park (which was empty) then walked up the small slop to find this scene..!!

[:0][:0][:(][:(]IT WAS FROZEN OVER[:(][:(][:0][:0]

But not to be beaten by a bit of Ice we took a walk around the reservoir to check for an area that was not so thick that we could fish without causing to much commotion by breaking the ice.

But as you can see by the second picture we did not find any thinner ice as the whole lake was frozen with the exception of peg 1 which is not the best of winter pegs as it is only a matter of a few inches deep.[:(][:(]

So we decided to take the chance that Boddington was not totally iced over and so drove the 20 minutes to there.[:)]

On arrival at Boddington the scene was totally different and although the picture below does not do it justice this is what we were greeted with..!![:0][8D][8D]

[8D][8D]SUN SOAKED ICE FREE FLAT CALM WATER[8D][8D]

We decided to fish on the Dam wall (about pegs 21/22) as there was an open match from peg 30 upwards and a couple of other pleasure anglers down on pegs 1 & 2.

As neither Steve or me has fished Boddington in the Winter we scanned what the guys in the open were doing as they fish it on a weekly basis so know what works,[;)] and to a man every body was fishing on the deck with either feeder or straight bomb so we settled for a day on the tip rods.

As you can tell by the picture below Steve was happy to be out on the bank at last as well,(although i think he was hoping a bit for a fish of that size [;)])

Steve set up a small grip mesh feeder and i settled for a small inline method feeder and so we sat back and waited for the action to start whilst basking in the glorious winter
[8D] SUN [8D]

and then we waited and waited and waited some more.

And carried on waiting for action a bit more

And that pretty much sums up the days fishing
(we both done a TROGG [;)])
YES WE BLANKED

Although Steve did get 2 taps neither of which turned into proper bites.

But i will admit it was great to be sat in such beautiful weather in January regardless of catching or not.

Cheers Steve for getting me out on the bank again

MALC

Lurcher

Some of us tried to get some practice in at Sheepy and the two fit ladies, Watto, Paul, Andy and me had a go. The girls fished Long pool as the ice was this and not as coloured as Monk and they both caught.
Perch I believe? Dave Watto bagged up with roach, Paul, Andy and I struggled for an hour but we were quite hopeful as it was such a lovely day. Anyway suddenly Paul caught a small roach and almost immediately I had a 2oz roach. Andy looked on. Roach Perch and gudgeon followed and I reckon we all got near 2Lbs of fish each except Andy who blanked.
Not bad considering it was nearly an inch thick of ice.
See you on Sunday bring ice breaking kit as you will probably need it

Lurcher

G.R.Eggison

EJAYAR

Fraid the D word took over on Sunday (and Monday), good job really as you had to move on to Boddington but what a pleasant day you had!
I've booked off for Fishing on Thursday but will probably end up with a paintbrush in my hand!!

Status
Not open for further replies.