Stockport fishing for beginners.

RohnnyJose

 Hi,
I am moving to Bredbury later this summer and as a keen fisherman would like advice on free stretches of canals, rivers and any good places for a beginner, ponds or lakes where he will land something, to keep his interest up.

Thanks in advance, tight lines.

ravey

I cut my teeth at Poynton Pool many years ago, but it was run by Stockport Fed at the time. A local tackle shop should be able to offer up to date info and advice.

mike fox

'Just Me and the Fish'
Site Supporter
Most of the canals around Stockport are free. This is only because the clubs that have the fishing rights don't bailiff them very well. There are very few signs up indicating who have the rights so it is easy to plead ignorance if someone comes along. You MUST have an EA rod licence though. When you arrive call in to Edgeley Sports or Hazel Grove Angling for all the local run club waters. none are expensive to join. The river Thame upstream of Tesco's is free and has a good head of all species of fish. Unfortunately, because of this, you may well encounter the local 'knob heads' as well.
Stockport area itself is very poor for angling, it's just the way it is, so you would be better to travel a little outside of town.

melvyn

Head Blanker
Roman lakes day ticket. Goose green farm day ticket. Stockport federation waters . Reddish anglers club, Dane bank anglers club. All can be found on internet. Nearest shop Woodley precinct. Edgeley sports.