stocking with ide?

Back after years

Site Supporter
It might just be me..But why not just stock skimmers..They feed in winter,they can grow into proper bream,and they are a native species...And if you have roach and rudd you might get hybrids, which give a decent little scrap..

JayCoggers AD

Do both. Two differing styles to catch them.

Have you ever fished for ide? It’s a lot of fun. I always try to have an ide line in my club matches and it’s amazing how many I win by doing that.

davylad

Site Supporter
I reckon Ide are a good fish to catch, but like has been said they seem to almost vanish after a few years. Whether this is because they become predatory, I'm not sure. My lad caught one at a local commie, it weighed 5lb - 3oz, but you don't see many of them. The only venue I know where they were caught regularly over 4lb was Rush Larvers fishery in Hedon just outside Hull. That was a while back, so they've probably gone now. I've mentioned it before, but I had 122lb of Ide, to break the then lake record, nowt like blowing your own trumpet.;)

IanG1

Site Supporter
Ide saved the day for me today on club pond, clicked 75 fish and 20lb of them. Great days sport when little else wanted to feed

IMG_20221123_151520757.jpg

Alucard

In my opinion, Ide, as a non native fish should not be stocked into British waters.
Get the conditions right in your waters and the resident fish will successfully breed and there will be no need for stocking.
If you are going to introduce fish, then introduce native fish.

JayCoggers AD

In my opinion, Ide, as a non native fish should not be stocked into British waters.
Get the conditions right in your waters and the resident fish will successfully breed and there will be no need for stocking.
If you are going to introduce fish, then introduce native fish.
Over the course of the last five years the Ide in our ponds have survived being meals for predatory bird life when the native silver species such as Roach and Rudd have not.

Furthermore, Ide are now ‘native’ in some of our rivers such as the Trent and at no detriment to the other silver species.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
I've only ever caught the odd one, when you catch them like that it's easy to think it's a big Roach for a second until you get it in the net. I did watch a Matty Dawes video catching them consistently at Monkhall Fishery, so I went there on a cold winters day hoping to do the same. I wanted to get on the lake I'd seen Matty Dawes fishing, but was told that Tommy Pickering and Tom Scholey were there filming a Fjuka Baits video so I had to go on another lake. Not to worry, there's lots to chose from, but I only ended up catching something like a Tench, a Skimmer and one Ide.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Here's a thought... I've caught more Golden Orfe than Ide. There's a nice fish to have in your lake?

smiffy

Site Supporter
Here's a thought... I've caught more Golden Orfe than Ide. There's a nice fish to have in your lake?
Now there’s a fish that gives proper sport😂😂
They give, at most, a slight flick of the tail when playing them and when you land them they say to you “Gawd bless ya, I’m knackered after that”😉
Ide are Orfe which, probably, explains their lack of fight😂

davylad

Site Supporter
I can't understand some saying they don't fight much, I've found them to be cracking sport when other fish refuse to open their mouths. I'm talking fish of 1lb plus mind, they'll pull a 6 to 8 elastic out a fair way.

IanG1

Site Supporter
It's all about the elastic as @davylad says. Use Preston original slip 6 for my ide fishing which lets the fish pull and stay under the water until in netting distance. Soon as they hit the surface they tend to give up and flap around so light elastics are the key for better sport.

Nicky Dodds

I reckon Ide are a good fish to catch, but like has been said they seem to almost vanish after a few years. Whether this is because they become predatory, I'm not sure. My lad caught one at a local commie, it weighed 5lb - 3oz, but you don't see many of them. The only venue I know where they were caught regularly over 4lb was Rush Larvers fishery in Hedon just outside Hull. That was a while back, so they've probably gone now. I've mentioned it before, but I had 122lb of Ide, to break the then lake record, nowt like blowing your own trumpet.;)
There were some big match winning ide in staddlethorpe pond for a number of years but they mysteriously died out. Same with cowick pond which Barry Rudge took over...big weights of ide albeit smaller fish and all of a sudden gone.

Simon R

Site Supporter
Every time you want to stock fish you must comply with the requisite licencing requirements as per the Environment Agency rules

Details of every stillwater in the country that has been legally stocked at some time in the past or where stocking is proposed in the future must be recorded on the Fish Health Inspectorate register.
In the case of newly dug commercial fisheries - which only very rarely have any sort of permanent inlet or outlet connected to a watercourse - once they're on the register - there will be few if any restrictions on what may or may not be stocked, since the chances of non-native species escaping into the natural environment are minimal.

Natural or more established stillwaters should, if not already on the register, be physically examined to check for connections to watercourses prior to any restocking. Although if they are registered it should indicate if non-native species have been stocked in the past.

For instance we stocked grass carp into our old club pond back in the 1990s
When it came to subsequent stockings the information on the new register indicated that our pond was already stocked with non-native species, was not connected to a watercourse and therefore there were no restrictions on any future stocking.
Ironically not only was there an outlet to the River Wiske (via a rather convoluted route through a 6" pipe, a small pond and an overflow to a normally dry ditch) but during prolonged periods of heavy rainfall the adjacent fields could flood and flow into the pond.
It only happened a couple of times in forty years but I remember netting small silvers from rapidly shrinking puddles before they became seagull food - and a 5lb pike that had evidently followed them out.
We used the EA extensively - to remove unwanted fish, carry out health and growth checks, advise on algal blooms and recommended aquatic herbicides - so I'm surprised they never spotted the lakes outlet.

Simon

davylad

Site Supporter
There were some big match winning ide in staddlethorpe pond for a number of years but they mysteriously died out. Same with cowick pond which Barry Rudge took over...big weights of ide albeit smaller fish and all of a sudden gone.
I fished a few opens when Rudgey had the pond near the railway bridge. I seem to remember a flyer in the corner with good weights of chub. I always seemed to do well there, alas without ever winning one.:rolleyes: You had to drop on the Ide if I remember, and at times they could turn up anywhere, shame they've also disappeared.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Only knowingly fished once place with ide a good 7 years ago whilst on holiday in norfolk. They were alright tbf nice shaped fish just bit washed out looking (probably the waters fault not theirs!) and didn’t pull much. Basically nice enough but not as nice as native silvers so wouldnt go out of my way to find them. Is one place near here with a smattering of golden orfe which are much nicer fish if only because look nicer as still don’t pull much. I don’t personally know enough of the science behind it to know if they’re worth stocking but from a purely fishing point of view I don’t see any reason to deviate to them from native silvers.