stocking with ide?

GeoffW

Site Supporter
I don't know where that's from, but our club lakes are stream fed into first lake, with an outlet to second lake, another outlet on second lake feeds back into the stream and we were permitted to stock Ide last year.
It came from a North West EA officer. He said if there is a risk of escape of fish, eggs or fry into the river system (which there is on our lake) then a filter must be fitted, which was not deemed feasible. Other areas may interpret the rules on introducing non-native differently

Total

Site Supporter
Another issue with Ide is they become predatory as they get older and bigger
^^ Have seen that first hand....(y).....But it's also true of most of our fish and I'm not just talking egg eating fish.....When we was kids a live lip hooked minnow caught not only perch but bream, roach, chub, carp etc, etc:oops:

DAMFLASK CHRIS

Site Supporter
have ide in our club ponds which has stream running through
I don't know where that's from, but our club lakes are stream fed into first lake, with an outlet to second lake, another outlet on second lake feeds back into the stream and we were permitted to stock Ide last year.
same with my club ponds and they have ide in

chefster

Shedster!!
Site Supporter
Bishops Bowl in Warwickshire is a classic example of successful ide and crucian stocking !!! Shaun Smart who runs this very successful fishery is a very shrewd and professional fishery manager !! Marshes 1 & 2 and Walworth ( match lakes) have a massive head of ide and small crucians , in the matches you need40-50lb of these, as well as carp, skimmers and tench …..It’s possible to fish a whole match for ide , and we catch them on the deck mostly in 6-8ft of water ….they are now averaging 12oz ,from 4-6oz when they were first stocked!! They’ve been a fantastic addition to the match lakes

pies

Site Supporter
Ide are just a smaller version of a chub.
In a match you can catch 2or 3 then nothing. Then later on you might catch another 2 or three

If you dont have carp in your water you could get some stocked. Personally id have tench roach and skimmers

chefster

Shedster!!
Site Supporter
Ide are just a smaller version of a chub.
In a match you can catch 2or 3 then nothing. Then later on you might catch another 2 or three

If you dont have carp in your water you could get some stocked. Personally id have tench roach and skimmers
I disagree as I explained above in my post, you can catch 40-50lb off them off most pegs in a match on marshes, now that’s not odd fish , when you get them going it can be one a chuck

Total

Site Supporter
I disagree as I explained above in my post, you can catch 40-50lb off them off most pegs in a match on marshes, now that’s not odd fish , when you get them going it can be one a chuck
Just out of interest Gary, how are you feeding for these bottom feeding Ide please?.....Thank you....(y)

pies

Site Supporter
Just going by what happens on our matches, there could be many reasons why they different, stocking density, other fish, natural food. I like ide as they feed in cold but we never catch loads

chefster

Shedster!!
Site Supporter
Just out of interest Gary, how are you feeding for these bottom feeding Ide please?.....Thank you....(y)
Small nuggets of gb/worm slop/casters , even loosefeeding casters, keeps them there, but they don’t come up, odd ones on the drop, but most when bait hits the deck

Total

Site Supporter
Just going by what happens on our matches, there could be many reasons why they different, stocking density, other fish, natural food. I like ide as they feed in cold but we never catch loads
I fished Alvechurch Fisheries (Midlands) one Winter and all their lakes contain Ide and they could fish just as you mentioned above.....Really strange fish at times...:oops:(y)

Dave gsx1400

My local club stocked Ide a few years back. I believe the idea behind it was to have a target fish present for the winter months. Trouble is, the bigger they get, the greedier they are and quite honestly, a real pain regardless of the bait used - they`ll happily take floaters off the top too!

smiffy

Site Supporter
I think, at a high density they’re an ideal match fish. They’re normally hungry, come to maggots and caster, not tackle shy and don’t fight, except once they’re in the keepnet😂.
I just find them very underwhelming 🤷. Even in strong flowing Dutch rivers the scrap doesn’t amount to much. I have had them chasing silver cage feeders out there which shows their predatory side.

Paul22

Has anybody any experience of stocking with ide? We are in the process of restocking and ide were mentioned as a possibility. Do they bred in still water? Also do they feed in winter. This is only a preliminary enquiry and nothing has yet been decided
Ring Alex at Aston park he stocks them in all his lakes and I’m sure he’d speak with you !

Last edited:

tincatim

Site Supporter
The River Dearne up here has a good few Ide in that have escaped from commercials due to flooding over the years and they're being caught in excess of 4lbs, so there's a very good chance that they're present in the River Don as well.
I’ve had one over 4lb from the Dearne, and I’ve seen a picture of one over 6lb from the Don. Lovely fish at that size.

I’m a fan of them as a species, they’re great fun in the winter when you can get a shoal feeding. Plenty of bites and action in a cold day is always welcome. They fight a bit like bream, but to mental in the net, that’s the only downside.

The bailiff at Newbiggin seems convinced that they’re breeding in there, apparently they’re not meant to? But they’re finding smaller specimens than were stocked.

I’ve also fished places that have had them in abundance, then a year or two later they’re all gone.

Peter

'Mugger'
Staff member
Site Supporter
I’ve had one over 4lb from the Dearne, and I’ve seen a picture of one over 6lb from the Don. Lovely fish at that size.
I had one of 4lbs 02ozs from Lewden Springs last year Tim and they're impressive fish at that size, I'd never had one of more than a pound prior to that.

Stewie74

Making it up as I go along…..
Site Supporter
My regular match venue has a good stocking of ide in all 3 lakes, from 6-8oz up to a new stocking of 2-3lb ers.

They like a maggot, feed up in the water and on the deck, and if you land in a shoal of them you can rack up a big weight pretty quick. There’s been a couple of 100lb plus weights of them since the latest stock went in.

Should make the winter leagues interesting.

Simon R

Site Supporter
Another issue with Ide is they become predatory as they get older and bigger
So do chub - and rudd - in fact almost all coarse fish will happily eat a fishy snack - most of them just aren't quick enough.
A friend of mine had a double figure carp on a deadbait from a local pond and back when the Angling Times ran the British Pike Final there was a prize for the biggest non-predatory fish and that was always won by a bream of 6lb+.

It shouldn't come as a surprise really - after all what's the major constituent of the pellets that are flung into lakes and rivers up and down the country by the ton, week in week out.

Simon

JayCoggers AD

We introduced ide into both our club ponds with the ide a of filling the gap between bream/ tench and roach.

Our ponds are old pit waters Made from land run off and we have an in and out water scenario but the EA didn’t mind that.

5 years in and they are topping 2lb in the Larger of the two ponds and and half that in the smaller(lower) pond.

It’s a good job we did as the silverfish sport has suffered due to roach being on the bird menu. Decimated is the word.

The ide are fun to fish for and feed well in the winter but it’s summer where they come into their own. 2lb one after another on 4 elastic is much fun.