stocking with ide?

hombre38

hombre
Has anybody any experience of stocking with ide? We are in the process of restocking and ide were mentioned as a possibility. Do they bred in still water? Also do they feed in winter. This is only a preliminary enquiry and nothing has yet been decided

smiffy

Site Supporter
One of my old clubs stocked with Ide and within two or three years they had vanished. I don’t know wether the venues were suitable for them though.
Out in Holland there’s millions of them in the rivers so that suggests they do better in running water.
Personally I don’t understand the attraction. There’s nothing special about Ide.

grey

Site Supporter
I've got nothing against Ide, they're a lovely fish and I enjoy catching them, but personally, I don't consider them a good main stock for club competition or match waters.

Yes, they feed in winter, and prove to be good sport for up-in-the-water summer fishing - but I find them a solitary fish that whizz in and out your swim, meaning it's virtually impossible to build a swim on Ide, often more luck than skill to catch them in stillwater compared to other fish.

Stocking a few Ide to bring a random element of excitement on a club water is great, but not suited as a reliable feeding main net-filling species at any time of year IMO.

Those who remember, the trend of stocking trout in some early commercials (30+ years ago) failed to fulfil the coarse anglers requirements, for similar reasons.

Probably better stocking crucians for winter if you wish to avoid the normal F1 approach?

Total

Site Supporter
I've got nothing against Ide, they're a lovely fish and I enjoy catching them, but personally, I don't consider them a good main stock for club competition or match waters.

Yes, they feed in winter, and prove to be good sport for up-in-the-water summer fishing - but I find them a solitary fish that whizz in and out your swim, meaning it's virtually impossible to build a swim on Ide, often more luck than skill to catch them in stillwater compared to other fish.

Stocking a few Ide to bring a random element of excitement on a club water is great, but not suited as a reliable feeding main net-filling species at any time of year IMO.

Those who remember, the trend of stocking trout in some early commercials (30+ years ago) failed to fulfil the coarse anglers requirements, for similar reasons.

Probably better stocking crucians for winter if you wish to avoid the normal F1 approach?
Unless a lake is injected with a high quantity of crucians for Winter fishing they are very difficult to catch....Milton pond at Old Bury Hill had exactly this problem and although with the supplementary stocking of roach to change this, further stockings of crucians was the solution they found...

As for Ide, don't bother.....As said above you'll get two or three years out of them at best as they did on Lake 4 at Monk Lakes.

grey

Site Supporter
Unless a lake is injected with a high quantity of crucians for Winter fishing they are very difficult to catch....Milton pond at Old Bury Hill had exactly this problem and although with the supplementary stocking of roach to change this, further stockings of crucians was the solution they found...
Don't think it is possible to buy certified true crucians anymore, they're all slightly different strains and have different qualities - don't know what they got at Milton pond, clearly avoid buying that sort :D

They're shy, but they definitely feed and shoal even in the depth of winter, so a good angler can still build a swim and find good sport.

GeoffW

Site Supporter
We were told by EA that if your water has a flowing inlet and outlet of water, you won't get a permit to stock Ide

Total

Site Supporter
Don't think it is possible to buy certified true crucians anymore, they're all slightly different strains and have different qualities - don't know what they got at Milton pond, clearly avoid buying that sort :D

They're shy, but they definitely feed and shoal even in the depth of winter, so a good angler can still build a swim and find good sport.
Do your research before you spout off!:D:ROFLMAO:....Or better still read what's written not what you think is written....:D:p

TiggerXFM

They are an invasive species as GeoffW says, but they have quite a long lifespan, 10 to 15yrs on average.

Peter

'Mugger'
Staff member
Site Supporter
The original stocking of Crucians were pure Crucians from Whitley Park, when it was netted prior to conversion to a Trout Lake.

Arry

Aitch, Cantankerous old gimmer with "Views"
Site Supporter
Another issue with Ide is they become predatory as they get older and bigger

Peter

'Mugger'
Staff member
Site Supporter
Ide/Orfe are the same fish (Leuciscus idus), just that Orfe are classed as ornamentals.

grey

Site Supporter
Do your research before you spout off!:D:ROFLMAO:....Or better still read what's written not what you think is written....:D:p
Oh, didn't think I was disagreeing with what you wrote.

TiggerXFM

Ide/Orfe are the same fish, just that Orfe are classed as ornamentals.
Yes, your right Pete, i've caught the ornamnetal ones on a couple of places, some washed out orangy coloured ones and some quite strongly orange coluored ones.
I think they can grow to around 8lb or more and do pull back a bit. I've had quite a few when trotting on the rivers, but they seem to be sporadic catches.

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
We were told by EA that if your water has a flowing inlet and outlet of water, you won't get a permit to stock Ide
I don't know where that's from, but our club lakes are stream fed into first lake, with an outlet to second lake, another outlet on second lake feeds back into the stream and we were permitted to stock Ide last year.

Peter

'Mugger'
Staff member
Site Supporter
It's highly unlikely that anyone would get permission to stock them nowadays where there is any chance of them escaping into a river as they're a non native species.
As already mentioned once they get larger they become predatory supplementing their diet with small fish.

The British Record is 8lbs 5ozs caught from the River Hull

British record Ide 8lbs 05ozs.

Peter

'Mugger'
Staff member
Site Supporter
The River Dearne up here has a good few Ide in that have escaped from commercials due to flooding over the years and they're being caught in excess of 4lbs, so there's a very good chance that they're present in the River Don as well.