Stock ponds

smiffy

Site Supporter
I guess the first place I ever fished was similar to a stock pond. It was solid with Crucians. The farm owner didn’t know how they got in there and assumed they’d been there since the year dot. You could feed a mashed loaf and scoop them out with a landing net. Just goes to show that in the right environment Crucians will thrive. Wish I had some Crucians nearby now. It’s sad they’ve become so rare.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
I guess the first place I ever fished was similar to a stock pond. It was solid with Crucians. The farm owner didn’t know how they got in there and assumed they’d been there since the year dot. You could feed a mashed loaf and scoop them out with a landing net. Just goes to show that in the right environment Crucians will thrive. Wish I had some Crucians nearby now. It’s sad they’ve become so rare.
I've got 3 in one of my ponds but they aren't a very sporting size yet 😅

Jokes aside it is hard to find places where they are in any real numbers isn't it. There is a few places round here where you can catch a couple but none that you can really get amongst them.

Zerkalo

Thinking about it I don't think I've ever caught a True Crucian as every one I've ever caught has came from a lake that also has Carp/Brown Goldfish etc present.

smiffy

Site Supporter
A lot of clubs stock them into waters that are just too big. They fade away. Crucians are the typical farm pond fish.

mickthechippy

space cadet
Staff member
Site Supporter
Do you remember the old stock pond on the old Monk Lakes layout when it was incorporating the old fish farm? (where the first F1's ad F2's were created).....:unsure:

Two of us were on the bottom lake (the lakes were tiered then) and about 10 o'clock they've decided to have a duck shoot on said lake!.....We was asked to move to the stock pond for the rest of the days fishing!.....Come 4 pm. it was like Armageddon! God knows what weight of fish me and my mate had knocked out! :oops::ROFLMAO:
Im sure I was told (though it coulda just been scuttlebutt) that mr helicopter man, the guy that bought monks, thought the fish farm was included in the deal when he put his offer in

mickthechippy

space cadet
Staff member
Site Supporter
there is a list of ponds and lakes that hold true crucians, certified fish, no cross breeds Mark Wintle is the man to ask

Total

Site Supporter
Im sure I was told (though it coulda just been scuttlebutt) that mr helicopter man, the guy that bought monks, thought the fish farm was included in the deal when he put his offer in
I'm not 100% sure mate to be honest, although the fish farm I understand still trades, but as to the present owners, I couldn't say....(y)

Silver fan 82

there was a stock pond at Hartleylands fishery, absolutely rammed with fish, big ones too

if you stood on the side and fed a few pellets in, the fish used to bowave towards you and damn near take the feed from your hands

pretty near pet fish, cant think of a worse place to fish, Id feel real bad catching owt out of there, it would be like betraying them
I remember this one Mick. Is it still there? Not fished at Hartleylands for years. I believe its under new management now?

mickthechippy

space cadet
Staff member
Site Supporter
Dont Know about now really

only been back to HLF once on a winter league match since the broken peg incident and was treated like a pariah then

it used to be on the path to cherry tree lake ? which has been opened up bigger since the new owners got it, possibly intergrated with cherry now, was bout a third of a footy pitch in size

them stock fish were real tame, you coulda lifted em out by hand near on

Silver fan 82

Dont Know about now really

only been back to HLF once on a winter league match since the broken peg incident and was treated like a pariah then

it used to be on the path to cherry tree lake ? which has been opened up bigger since the new owners got it, possibly intergrated with cherry now, was bout a third of a footy pitch in size

them stock fish were real tame, you coulda lifted em out by hand near on
Ah, is that where you had the broken peg incident?
Yeah the stock pond wasn't big at all but some big lumps in there!
Had a look at the website a while ago and looks like they have ade a few changes.

mickthechippy

space cadet
Staff member
Site Supporter
I was up on there one day fishing with Nick gilbert, we was fishing the first pegs past the trees on the inner bank

I set up the tourney whip feeding loose over maggot and was having a fine old day catching the redfins, proper good, Nick was banging carp out, he badgered me for about an hour to borrow the whip and have a go, so I stopped for a coffee and a smoke and lent him it,

haunched down next to him and off he went, first put in, hes had a savage take, only gone and hooked a carp that hed been feeding pellet, it took him round for an age, it had yellow preston 6 in the topkit, it near stretched half across the pond, whip was bending squeaky bum time too, give the bloke his due, he landed it though, went 10lb plus,

I had some right skiddy marks in my kecks !

Total

Site Supporter
I was up on there one day fishing with Nick gilbert, we was fishing the first pegs past the trees on the inner bank

I set up the tourney whip feeding loose over maggot and was having a fine old day catching the redfins, proper good, Nick was banging carp out, he badgered me for about an hour to borrow the whip and have a go, so I stopped for a coffee and a smoke and lent him it,

haunched down next to him and off he went, first put in, hes had a savage take, only gone and hooked a carp that hed been feeding pellet, it took him round for an age, it had yellow preston 6 in the topkit, it near stretched half across the pond, whip was bending squeaky bum time too, give the bloke his due, he landed it though, went 10lb plus,

I had some right skiddy marks in my kecks !
^^:giggle: ......Just picturing the scene there! :love::ROFLMAO:.....Bless ya size 14's;)......Completely different venue now....:(....All specimen lakes and prices to match, apart from 20 Pegs on Samson's for matches......I won't be going back....:(

The Landlord

Site Supporter
A lot of clubs stock them into waters that are just too big. They fade away. Crucians are the typical farm pond fish.
We've got them in all our ponds (which are farm ponds) and have done for years. You never bag up on them though. I had half a dozen in a session last year & they were around 8oz each. Some ponds have some 1lb plus fish in though.
We've just renovated & desilted a pond and put 300 4 inch crucian in there.

tincatim

Site Supporter
I’ve only ever fished one stock pond, and that was the one in @Zerkalo’s picture at Moorlands. Must have been around 1994 I think. To be fair it was quite good fun for a couple of hours catching stockies. I then moved on to the lake next to it in that picture, but was woefully under-gunned as I lost a few bigger carp that I couldn’t stop. Only ever fished there once as I relied on my dad to drive me there.
Now I’m all grown up, I don’t think I’d bother with fishing stock ponds. It’d be way too easy, and that takes the fun away for me.

Silver fan 82

^^:giggle: ......Just picturing the scene there! :love::ROFLMAO:.....Bless ya size 14's;)......Completely different venue now....:(....All specimen lakes and prices to match, apart from 20 Pegs on Samson's for matches......I won't be going back....:(
Same @Total, it used to be about 7 or 8 quid for a day's fishing, fish whichever lake you want, no OTT rules but as you say different now. Goes back to the point of more commercials leaning towards the specimen angler.
Sounds like a good session @mickthechippy lol!