Stock ponds

Zerkalo

That wasnt a fantail ,it was my gert taking an evening skinny dip 😇
I remember it well as it was one of those surreal fishing moments. A pheasant just appeared to the side of me, the sky suddenly turned grey, and then a fish I hooked with fluttering fins came to the surface. Kind of weirded me out a little bit, as though it was an omen, for some reason so I called that the last fish of the day. 😁

robert d

Allways trying to improve
Site Supporter
I
My favourite pool at Tunnel Barn when I used to pleasure fish it was the one with the lily pads in the middle. I even had a spooky looking fantail fish from there one evening. But back when I used to fish club matches at Tunnel, is it the home or house pool, the one with the bridge anyway. I drew that bridge peg one winter and had close to 150lb when the next weight was around 30lb. Talk about a flyer peg, at the time anyway, I'm told it's changed a lot since then as that was 20 years ago.
I think its a proper venue ,its hard to beat the locals and the owner used to win a lot ,mr Price i think . But if you go and enjoy it thats what counts ,more times you go the more you learn and the more chance of a brown packet.😁

robert d

Site Supporter
I remember it well as it was one of those surreal fishing moments. A pheasant just appeared to the side of me, the sky suddenly turned grey, and then a fish I hooked with fluttering fins came to the surface. Kind of weirded me out a little bit, as though it was an omen, for some reason so I called that the last fish of the day. 😁
To much ganja 😆

Zerkalo

I did used to smoke quite a bit around that time haha, but not so much when I was fishing because of driving. Last time, and I've told this story before, a carper came over and gave me a massive bud in return for some tobacco, rod turned to jelly. Probably will be the last time. 😁

robert d

Site Supporter
I did used to smoke quite a bit around that time haha, but not so much when I was fishing because of driving. Last time, and I've told this story before, a carper came over and gave me a massive bud in return for some tobacco, rod turned to jelly. Probably will be the last time. 😁
Nice one 😆 happy days 😀 jelly rod 🤩

carphauler

Barbel Tickler
I

I think its a proper venue ,its hard to beat the locals and the owner used to win a lot ,mr Price i think . But if you go and enjoy it thats what counts ,more times you go the more you learn and the more chance of a brown packet.😁
Are you on about ricey, he was the manager for quite a while.

Zerkalo

When I mention fishing to my non fishing mates, they always say "Sounds like fun, a few crafty beers on the bank". I've never drunk and fished but don't really blame those who do. (y)

robert d

Site Supporter
When I mention fishing to my non fishing mates, they always say "Sounds like fun, a few crafty beers on the bank". I've never drunk and fished but don't really blame those who do. (y)
Me neither ,but a few beers after can lead to a jelly pole 😇

NoCarpPlease

Site Supporter
I

As Carphauler said .... Mr P. Rice ..... so you were pretty accurate.
Pete was a top river angler (Aquarians) before he went to the dark side.

robert d

Site Supporter
Grant Allbut, now owns Moorlands farm, another good angler.
Thats the trouble ,where ever you go there are top notch anglers ,some of them brilliant . I just go with intention of having a good day out and doing my best . I always enjoy a good challenge and you never know ,might get lucky 😉

Total

Site Supporter
there was a stock pond at Hartleylands fishery, absolutely rammed with fish, big ones too

if you stood on the side and fed a few pellets in, the fish used to bowave towards you and damn near take the feed from your hands

pretty near pet fish, cant think of a worse place to fish, Id feel real bad catching owt out of there, it would be like betraying them
Do you remember the old stock pond on the old Monk Lakes layout when it was incorporating the old fish farm? (where the first F1's ad F2's were created).....:unsure:

Two of us were on the bottom lake (the lakes were tiered then) and about 10 o'clock they've decided to have a duck shoot on said lake!.....We was asked to move to the stock pond for the rest of the days fishing!.....Come 4 pm. it was like Armageddon! God knows what weight of fish me and my mate had knocked out! :oops::ROFLMAO:

nejohn

Site Supporter
I can't say I have ever fished a stock pond and really have no interest in fishing one in the future unless it is an ancient old monastery stock pond with its original strain of wild carp surviving. I think I would also be hard pushed to want fish the complex in the original picture as part the attraction of fishing for me is to be out and about in pleasant attractive surroundings so tend to avoid the hole in the ground type waters with no bankside cover or vegetation, it just makes me feel that it is an open soulless water, maybe the picture does not do it justice but that type of water is just not for me. Even when I do decide to give a commercial fishery a go I tend to chose them to suit my preference, I have stopped going to one locally as they have closed the 2 more natural feeling lakes to general coarse fishing and made them into specimen lakes just leaving holes in the ground for us mere mortals

Zerkalo

Yeah Moorlands can feel a bit soulless. It's a good match venue but as I say, attracts good anglers, and pleasure fishing I haven't been there for years. Re the Wild Carp though, I used to fish a pond on the Cadbury Estate with Carp in there presumably stocked by the Quakers when they built it, shallow and weedy, covered with lillies, they didn't half fight, complete opposite to commercial Carp fishing that was. The stock pond was fun when I was a kid but that's about it. I remember being starry eyed when I heard of 100lb+ match weights from there years ago so quite often made the journey there. I was just laughing with my dad about how we used to fish the stock pond.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
I can't say I have ever fished a stock pond and really have no interest in fishing one in the future unless it is an ancient old monastery stock pond with its original strain of wild carp surviving. I think I would also be hard pushed to want fish the complex in the original picture as part the attraction of fishing for me is to be out and about in pleasant attractive surroundings so tend to avoid the hole in the ground type waters with no bankside cover or vegetation, it just makes me feel that it is an open soulless water, maybe the picture does not do it justice but that type of water is just not for me. Even when I do decide to give a commercial fishery a go I tend to chose them to suit my preference, I have stopped going to one locally as they have closed the 2 more natural feeling lakes to general coarse fishing and made them into specimen lakes just leaving holes in the ground for us mere mortals
True the main lake in the OP doesn't look much better than the stock pond does it! A place like that would do nothing for me, aesthetics are a big part of fishing for me so if a place doesn't look nice I don't want to be there.