Stock levels still low?

Browner

Site Supporter
Are you finding stock levels still low. Went in AD today and they had hardly any Drennan rods, luggage or terminal tackle. Some empty spaces on the PI stands too. The news seems to suggest there is a shortage of delivery drivers due to being “pinged”.

fredradac

Site Supporter
I buy my bait plus odds n sods from World of Water near us. They don't do many "substantial" items but generally are good for pellets etc. Did notice on my visit last Sat that stocks seem low.

Peter

'Mugger'
Staff member
Site Supporter
Not just delivery drivers. The costs involved in shipping from the Far East and other countries has risen hugely along with material costs, coupled with a lot of manufacturers playing catch up. It's hard to see stock levels returning to normal for the rest of the year at the very least.

stephenk

Site Supporter
The ship stuck in Suez has only just been released by Egyptian government in the last couple of weeks - bet there was some gear on that - not to mention all the logistical issues of containers being in the wrong place etc...

PI absolute box units been unavailable for months 😔

Wonder if all this might prompt some companies to manufacture in uk ?

alsur

Site Supporter
Was looking to buy a penrose platform but they have been out of stock for a couple of weeks.

OldTaff

Site Supporter
My local shops have big gaps on their displays too - think it will take a long time for supply chains to reset providing there are no more blips as we roll into autumn and winter.

adriang

Site Supporter
Wonder if all this might prompt some companies to manufacture in uk ?
At the moment, there are also challenges getting raw materials into the country to actually make stuff locally.

Local tackle shop told me that Daiwa have a backlog of pole orders thats over a 1000.

alsur

Site Supporter
At the moment, there are also challenges getting raw materials into the country to actually make stuff locally.

Local tackle shop told me that Daiwa have a backlog of pole orders thats over a 1000.
On Penrose website that's what they say

mickthechippy

space cadet
Staff member
Site Supporter
its not just fishing gear, pretty near everything is in short supply at this moment

try going into your local builders merchants, and it seems that what they do have in stock or to order has shot up in price, an example is sheets of ply or MRMDF, they have almost trebled in price compared to this time last year, and basic standard timbers has doubled

things are going to be like it for a fair while, the clusterf*ck of brexit coupled with covid has hit the supply and manufacturing chains hard

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
The biggest issue is our dependency on importing products and materials at the expense of investing in our own manufacturing industries.
The UK's manufacturing base has been withered away for the past forty years in a quest to supply cheap products, and as we know cheap doesn't always mean cost effective.

You now have a situation where the far east are trying to play catchup, the shipping industry has containers everywhere but where needed, and everyone is blaming everyone else.

Anglingman

Mr Ginster
Site Supporter
The biggest issue is our dependency on importing products and materials at the expense of investing in our own manufacturing industries.
The UK's manufacturing base has been withered away for the past forty years in a quest to supply cheap products, and as we know cheap doesn't always mean cost effective.

You now have a situation where the far east are trying to play catchup, the shipping industry has containers everywhere but where needed, and everyone is blaming everyone else.
and you can add to that Covid having a much bigger impact in Asia than here as Delta variant is rife and population generally un vaccinated. Ports are shut or disrupted almost daily, often for a week at a time for deep cleans/firebreaks etc

tonyh24

Site Supporter
Been trying to purchase a couple of Drennan slimline hardcase rod sleeves for about 3 months + but nobody has stock.
Anyone have any info as and when Drennan luggage will be back in the shops ?

banksy

Life Member
Site Supporter
I recently treated myself to a new Drennan Acolyte Pro Carp pole, and have been very impressed with it.

But in April I dinked the no. 5 section, and it now has a 'squishy' spot, still useable, but not inspiring confidence.
So I ordered a new no. 5 section from my usual, excellent, tackle shop.
In May and in June and in July I was still waiting.

Suggestion reasons for the delay were increased paperwork due to our leaving the EU, that ship blocking the Suez canal, and of course the Covid 19 epidemic.
I wrote to Drennan at their Oxford headquarters to ask them about these suggestions, and received a very quick reply:

"... these are quite possibly excuses that been used by other suppliers as none of these are relevant to the Acolyte Pro Carp.
You would genuinely struggle to buy a complete pole at the moment, we received a delivery mid-June and all were sold within a week. If we had a complete pole in stock we would have absolutely no problem in breaking it down to sell a spare section.

In a ‘normal’ year we always try to carry stocks of both complete poles and spare sections, however demand has completely outstripped supply. With the additional delays due to shortages in carbon, extended lead times from suppliers and increased transit times it has meant loyal Drennan customers like yourself are left with an expensive pole they cannot use. We sincerely apologise for this.

We are expecting our next order of sections to be ready in August. We will (at great expense) look to air freight some of these sections when they are ready so anglers like yourself can get replacements and get fishing as soon as possible."