Stillwaters in and around Ripon

MountainAsh

Just moved into the Ripon area at the backend of last year and interested to hear if anyone has info on a couple of the local waters namely Queen Mary Ponds (Bradford No1 water) and Littlethorpe Pond (Knaresborough AC) which I think was formerly know as Fairfield Fishery.

The Bradford No1 water looks interesting but from what I’ve managed to find out looks to lean toward a more specimen type of water and might be hard going? Additionally looks like it’s on MOD land and you need a permit to have your car on it so it not easy to roll up and ask unless your on shanks pony. Littlethorpe Pond is locked away behind a coded gate, other side of which is a mud track that a 4 x 4 would struggle on. I think the water might be of more pleasure fishing ilk.

Both the waters are well off the beaten track natural waters which suits me fine, I’ve contacted the secretary of Bradford No1 but would like a bit if independent info. I’m a member of Boroughbridge AC, nice friendly club with a decent club stillwater in the middle of an industrial estate - when the noise stops, the cellulose fumes waft over!

Any info much appreciated on those two waters or anything similar in the Ripon area. Thanks.

Sam Vimes

Site Supporter
Just moved into the Ripon area at the backend of last year and interested to hear if anyone has info on a couple of the local waters namely Queen Mary Ponds (Bradford No1 water) and Littlethorpe Pond (Knaresborough AC) which I think was formerly know as Fairfield Fishery.

The Bradford No1 water looks interesting but from what I’ve managed to find out looks to lean toward a more specimen type of water and might be hard going? Additionally looks like it’s on MOD land and you need a permit to have your car on it so it not easy to roll up and ask unless your on shanks pony.
For a variety of reasons, I'm not going to be a member of Bradford No1 this year. However, access to QM's was my main reason for being a member and I enjoyed fishing there. There are two separate ponds. I consider neither to be out and out speci ponds, though they perhaps have been in the past and could be in the future. I preferred fishing the smaller figure of 8 pond for the tench which I had to around 6lb. There have been tench to around nine pounds reported. There are also some decent bream, though (not unhappily) I never caught any. As you can't night fish, and there are very few carp, there's little evidence of the bivvy types. The only other particularly interesting fish present were a handful of "crucians". I only had one and it was over 3lb. Sadly, the scale count on the one I caught suggested that it wasn't a true crucian. Beyond that, you're looking at a few tiddly perch, roach and rudd.

Don't worry unduly about the site access. The site is occasionally used by the MoD, but it's not gated access, nor fenced and patrolled. The entrance is through a golf club and the land beyond is farmed. The permit for your car comes with your club book, not from a military guardroom on each visit. The only real downside is that there is a limit on anglers per day. I was told that the permit system was in place to restrict numbers because the site is a SSSI rather than the MoD. This limit is enforced by a separate "permit" system. In days past, this really was a pain as you had to apply in writing well in advance of any trip. These day, it's all done on line. They request a minimum of 24hrs notice, but it's free and simple to do. Ad hoc visits (fishing or not) aren't easy, regardless of how you get there, but it's not the end of the world. You'd certainly find accessing and fishing it a whole lot easier than you've described.

MountainAsh

Thanks for that info. Does it get particularly busy during the summer months I.e is it a permit bun fight and does it get overly weedy. Cheers

Sam Vimes

Site Supporter
Thanks for that info. Does it get particularly busy during the summer months I.e is it a permit bun fight and does it get overly weedy. Cheers
Prior to 2020, I never had an issue getting on and getting a peg I actually fancied. Last spring was a bit different. No dramas getting a permit, though I only tried for midweek slots. Getting a peg (on the Fig 8) that I actually fancied was a different matter. That's one of the reasons I'm not bothering to join No.1 this year. Don't get the idea that you won't get on, there are more pegs between the two ponds than there are daily permits. However, even with limited permits, you may not get on a favoured peg, or possibly your pond of choice, at times.

The main reason for me not rejoining is that I'm choosing to stay even closer to home. It does help that a venue a couple of miles away has given me bigger tench and bream than I ever managed at QM.

Lufc44

The Bradford No1 water looks interesting but from what I’ve managed to find out looks to lean toward a more specimen type of water and might be hard going? Additionally looks like it’s on MOD land and you need a permit to have your car on it so it not easy to roll up and ask unless your on shanks pony. Littlethorpe Pond is locked away behind a coded gate, other side of which is a mud track that a 4 x 4 would struggle on. I think the water might be of more pleasure fishing ilk.

Both the waters are well off the beaten track natural waters which suits me fine, I’ve contacted the secretary of Bradford No1 but would like a bit if independent info. I’m a member of Boroughbridge AC, nice friendly club with a decent club stillwater in the middle of an industrial estate - when the noise stops, the cellulose fumes waft over!

Any info much appreciated on those two waters or anything similar in the Ripon area. Thanks.
Brickyards between ripon and the A1 on your left going towards the A1..£8.50 a day and holds plenty of decent fish.carp tench etc

Simon R

Site Supporter
Last yr only 1 was..left pond and pond nr road were day tickets
According to their website that's still the case
What was originally termed the match lake in the 1990s is still day-ticket (the one to the left as you're looking from the car-park) together with what was the stock-pond behind the toilet block - the largest lake is the membership only specimen carp water.

Simon