Stillwater Shuriken 10ft Mini Feeder Rod (budget £20 rod)

David_R

Brilliant little budget rod paired with a daiwa ninja 3012 reel. Broken in nicely saturday just gone on a small commercial bagging 30 carp between 3lb and 10lb. I dont think I need more than this setup for small commercial work on the light feeder or bomb. Its a great setup light enough to have fun but with enough backbone to make sure your not taking forever getting low doubles carp in the net.

Anyone looking to get into small commercial feeder fishing on a budget wouldn't got far wrong with this setup.

Markywhizz

Clueless member
Site Supporter
Nice post mate. I have had a few Stillwater items and generally found they punch above their weight.

nejohn

Site Supporter
I have a couple of the previous range of stillwater rods, the Matchstix range which live under Kathy's parents caravan, I have the 13ft waggler rod and the 10 ft feeder rod. I think I paid about £20 each for these and for the money they are great value, they get used once or twice a year and are perfectly usable, OK not top quality but easily as good as many other budget rods costing significantly more

Stufer63

Shame the brand has all but disappeared with AD taking over Chapmans. The Shuriken was I believe Daiwa designed. I got the Matchstix Pro 10' bomb rod. Great quality for the money and looks/performs well above its price point. Paid for itself as well as it has won me a couple of sections with carp in later stages of a couple of matches! Wish I bought a second when I had the chance.

David_R

One of the reasons I went for the stillwater was to directly compare it to my dad's daiwa D Carp feeder rod which is almost identical. They look the same aside from a different quiver tip design but without actually using both to catch fish I cant say if they feel the same.

I already had the daiwa pw version.

turlwickdave

Bagga T
Site Supporter
Took a chance and bought a Shuriken 10ft. mini method feeder rod from Angling Direct £16.53 can't go wrong for that price most of my rods are Drennan or Korum it will do for a spare or holiday rod.

Last edited:

rd115

Some of the gear, No idea
Site Supporter
I've ordered one of the shuriken float/match rods for my old man to see if it's any good. £16 something from ebay, hopefully give it an outing saturday.

David_R

Took a chance and bought a Shuriken 10ft. mini method feeder rod from Angling Direct £16.53 can't go wrong for that price most of my rods are Drennan or Korum it will do for a spare or holiday rod.
I've ordered one of the shuriken float/match rods for my old man to see if it's any good. £16 something from ebay, hopefully give it an outing saturday.

Let me Know how you get on with it? (y)

I doubt very much you will be dissapointed.

rd115

Site Supporter
Well i just got the Shuriken PW rod.

Gotta say i'm mightily impressed with the build quality for £16.

A little heavier than it looks and not perfect balance, the mid/tipping point seems to be about 6 inches from the butt ring, prefer it to be nearer the handle in my rods, but can't grumble for £16. Might have been intentionally made this way knowing it'll likely be paired with a cheap (and usually heavier) reel.

Action isn't quite a through action, leans more towards progressive like most cheap Daiwa rods, but that means more power lower down to tame the odd lump.

I'll be giving it an outing on Saturday and might catch fish from a pound to anything upto about 10lbs hopefully.

rd115

Site Supporter
Just pulled the trigger on the 11ft Stillwater Matchstix carp feeder for £20, i have a 10ft Daiwa YnB mini method and super expensive 12ft and 13ft rods so lacking an 11ft'er, thought i'd give this a blast after being impressed with the Shuriken PW.

I'll be pairing it up with a 4012 TDR just for laughs :ROFLMAO:

turlwickdave

Bagga T
Site Supporter
I have received the Shuriken 10ft. mini method feeder rod from Angling Direct never had chance to try it out yet but for the money i am impressed with the general feel and look of the rod for the money £16.53 time will tell when i can get out on the bank and give a proper review after i use it.

rd115

Site Supporter
Well the 11ft Matchstix carp feeder arrived, very good build quality as per the shuriken, the 2 parts are not equal sizes though and the the tips are weird, one is shorther than the other :unsure:

Not bad for 20 notes though, just a shame i can't go out and use it :confused: