Stillwater fishing in Kent (Medway area) - It’s ludicrous

Flathead

Site Supporter
Turns out there’s an absolute stack of free stretches dotted along the Medway and a couple of other little local rivers too - the FB page gives info on carp sections, pike sections, chub sections, etc and I think everywhere holds little silvers & perch for toddler tiddler fishing :)

Glad you have found somewhere....don’t overlook free fishing!
Some of the best winter fishing in Cambridgeshire is on free stretches of river....the Old Nene through the town of March and the Great Ouse in Ely.

OldTaff

Site Supporter
Glad you have found somewhere....don’t overlook free fishing!
Some of the best winter fishing in Cambridgeshire is on free stretches of river....the Old Nene through the town of March and the Great Ouse in Ely.

Free is good - free with lots of fish in it is even better

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Definitely not much good free fishing about so is a good find ?? Can’t really complain my end as dirt cheap isn’t much worse than free haha

Flathead

Site Supporter
Definitely not much good free fishing about so is a good find ?? Can’t really complain my end as dirt cheap isn’t much worse than free haha
In this area much of the free water is controlled by the water Authority. The Well creek is controlled by the Well creek trust which allows free fishing over several miles.

Much free water is simply not controlled by angling clubs as many of the clubs have folded...
Not because it is poor fishing but simply because there is so much water available.

Sheffield clubs used to control a lot of the Fen water but these no longer exist.....yet they once had thousands of members!

Some small cheap clubs have the rights to many miles of river...the Whittlesey Angling association have around twenty miles of the Twenty foot river and Whittlesey dyke....for example

Last edited:

RedhillPhil

Computers verified, riots quelled, wars started.
Site Supporter
I’ve cracked it !!!!!!!!!!

Went on FB late last night bemoaning my plight - I blame a pooey day in work and many beers with dinner - and got told to stop messing about with stillwaters & fully booked clubs but instead get onto the River Medway free section from Allington Lock to Maidstone town centre.

Highly recommended with easy parking was a stretch in Ringlestone so we’ve given it a go.

With only a 5m elasticated whip, landing net, seatbox, tin of hemp and a pint of casters it was a 2 minute walk from car to a tarmac towpath & neat flat pegs. 12’ of water @ 4m out.

In went a baited hook over a couple of handfuls of hemp - instant bite !

That‘s how it kept going for the next 40 mins we fished - bite every cast producing roach, gudgeon, perch and little skimmers. Had to fish hard to the floor with the olivette about 6” from the hook to get through the bleak but that was fine.

Next swim had a dad with his 8yr old bagging up exactly the same but getting slightly larger fish on 6-7m of pole having groundbaited too plus he’d had a few bonus large skimmers and a proper bream.

We are now river anglers :) time to watch a lot more YouTube and buy more kit :LOL:

Karl

I've had some good days on the free stretch of the Medway at East Farleigh. Nice Chub and Barbel in the weir pool. Parking in the station carp ark.

OldTaff

Site Supporter
I've had some good days on the free stretch of the Medway at East Farleigh. Nice Chub and Barbel in the weir pool. Parking in the station carp ark.

Thank you, wondered where to park for that - might toddle over after church tomorrow for a little look

Not sure Jacob ready for barbel yet :ROFLMAO:

Karl

solwood

Site Supporter
Firstly glad you found somewhere

My advice would be to keep going for silvers and just enjoy the fishing with lots of bites

It's easy to get sucked into specimen hunting and big fish but in my experience gradually Increasing your best keeps youngsters interested longer!

Saying this having introduced 3 god children to fishing, fished for 40 years and very much still going after silvers on the rivers especially

Also in defence of clubs, how much would that land be worth as houses ( this argument lost the greatest greyhound track in the country walthamstow)

I am a member of 2 clubs yearly outlay 225
Reduced now I am a bailiff for one. Membership means I fish short sessions at the right time often only 2 to 3 hours

Would I ho of I had to pay even a fiver each time, probably not. I love these sessions, give me head space and encourage fishing the river on th he float/whip for silvers

Cobweb

Site Supporter
Keep an eye out for some guy taking his Jack Russell for a walk along there. I was into a bream when the blighter nicked my cheese and pickle sandwich. On the way back after half an hour when I was into another one, the greedy git had my pastie as well!

Cobweb

Site Supporter
That is my fallback plan for my day off next week - last midweek session before my boy starts primary school :eek:
Mote Park has some building works going on there at the mo around the boathouse area (flood defences), but there should be plenty of swims elsewhere. Also MVAS are carrying out some work on the swims. A good head of bream, and plenty of silvers - some big carp too and pike

mickthechippy

space cadet
Staff member
Site Supporter
if you had said rivers in the OP,

coulda sent you in the direcion of ths Stour at canterbury, free fishing within the city boundaries

the dykes and drains on the isle of sheppey, and the ones at graveney marshes near sittingbourne and faversham,

all good fishing for general species

Imperium

My god some of these are expensive

My club has 15 owned and private lakes, 16 more lakes to fish via affiliations, access to 3 rivers and offers trout - £100 a year o_O

OldTaff

Site Supporter
if you had said rivers in the OP,

coulda sent you in the direcion of ths Stour at canterbury, free fishing within the city boundaries

the dykes and drains on the isle of sheppey, and the ones at graveney marshes near sittingbourne and faversham,

all good fishing for general species

Hi Mick - my intention was 100% to find a free stillwater as that’s what I know how to fish, it’s what I was brought up on and what I have the gear for. I have river fished but that was in Winter club matches nearly 20 years ago on our stretches of the Wye that inevitably were going through like a train after typical Welsh deluges in the days before.

I only looked at the Medway after a grumpy late night FB exchange with someone who felt the same and getting told what to try and where to try it.

Would appreciate the heads up for the stretches you mention though as I think we are going to like this river lark.

Karl

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
I remember waking down a side stream of the stour in Canterbury alongside a car park that had some of the most incredible roach I’ve ever seen!

And yes once river fishing gets in your blood it can consume you! I have very little interest in doing anything else these days. My closed seasons are always filled with Stillwater and sea fishing but once the rivers are open they are almost all I fish. Just love them ?