Stillwater fishing in Kent (Medway area) - It’s ludicrous

OldTaff

Site Supporter
Sorry to rant but I think I’ve been out of fishing too long and the worlds gone mad.

On an FB page for fishing the river Medway someone suggested I look at Paddleworth Lakes complex in Snodland, about 5 mins from the free water I’ve been teaching my son on so we can hone his skills on a water that isn’t solely carp filled and has more pegs.

Googled them - looks good - membership would hurt a bit at £86 per year (plus £21 for him) when we are fishing about 2 hours once a week’ish but that could be sorted with a chunk of extra overtime.

Then I looked at the joining page of Kingfisher Angling & Preservation Society who control it and that’s when I lost the plot

As you can see from the screenshot, not only are their books full but they have a waiting list of 540 :eek:

PLUS on top of that you have to be sponsored by an established KAPS member to vouchsafe your conduct.

FFS it’s simpler to join the illuminati than it is to fish in this part of Kent :mad::eek::mad::eek::mad:

Oh to be back in South Wales where club membership was £30 for 7 lakes, 2 stretches of the Wye and 2 stretches of the Monmouth-Brecon canal (Ebbw Vale Welfare Angling) plus more well stocked free waters than you could shake a stick at.

Karl

t 5D1D10F9-D786-4AD2-8AB1-808585AFC848.png

John Step

Site Supporter
Should have moved to Lincolnshire. Much more civilised. Club books open and far cheaper. More space too.

mickthechippy

space cadet
Staff member
Site Supporter
Lot of it is that Kent and Sussex, especially your area in the Land of the Kentish men, caters for the anglers from the great conurbation that is the capital,

lots of clubs have out of area members, they are no longer just the locals fishing thier local ponds

its got worse of late, over the last few years theres been waiting lists for lots of clubs, especially if they have speci carp waters on thier books, some clubs even have tiered memberships as to what lakes they have on thier cards, that different levels of membership may or may not fish

OldTaff

Site Supporter
Lot of it is that Kent and Sussex, especially your area in the Land of the Kentish men, caters for the anglers from the great conurbation that is the capital,

lots of clubs have out of area members, they are no longer just the locals fishing thier local ponds

its got worse of late, over the last few years theres been waiting lists for lots of clubs, especially if they have speci carp waters on thier books, some clubs even have tiered memberships as to what lakes they have on thier cards, that different levels of membership may or may not fish

Tell me about it - Medway Valley has prices PER LAKE from £185 to £600, only 2 aren’t full and those are £295 p.a.

Maidstone Victory - full, no idea of price

KAPS - full, £107 for my son and I

and so it goes on.

All you see on their website is pictures of big, fat, dopey carp being held - Aaaaaaarrrrrrggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

davej1981

My 2 local clubs in sussex both £104 per year, one has now restricted its membership (i believe because of the the increase in members due to the barbel fishing) cheapest ive seem around here is £60 but that only permits you to fish one of the clubs waters. Around £100 seems to the norm but given that all the day ticket waters around here are £10+ a day it works out considerably cheaper to join the club rather than getting day tickets. Im hoping to join a club as like you i only get a short session on the bank and i cant justify paying £10 to only be on the bank for 1.5-2hrs

OldTaff

Site Supporter
My club here in West Sussex has restricted the membership from this year. Five lakes and a stretch of river for eighty squids is good I reckons.

Its great for regular sessions but for what I need to do then financially it’s a no go.

Karl

squimp

Site Supporter
Essex clubs were the same when I lived there. Most were closed Membership with waiting lists.

Down here in Glos the clubs are relatively cheap to join and most are open to new members.

The downside here is that the clubs are badly managed, the waters are filthy and baliffing is virtually non-existent.....

competition for waters (holiday homes, water skiing, bird watching etc etc) means that the clubs are losing any waters that they didn’t buy when they were cheap (30 years ago!). the future for cheap club style fishing down here is non-existent.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Some clubs can be extortionate can’t they. Around a working life I just don’t know how people find the time to justify the price but if you’re retired I don’t know how people can afford it.

My river club is pretty much the opposite. Think it’s about 10 miles of the Thames, about 6 miles of the oxford canal and about 3 miles of the cherwell for £12. I must have it down to under 50p per session already this season.

davebike1

Site Supporter
My club West Suuses Surrey has also closed membership fro the first time in some years £75 + £25 joining fee 4 lakes / ponds +river+ use of commercial
Great value in my view ( OK commitee member) out tommrow pulling fallen trees out the Medway !

davej1981

Some clubs can be extortionate can’t they. Around a working life I just don’t know how people find the time to justify the price but if you’re retired I don’t know how people can afford it.

My river club is pretty much the opposite. Think it’s about 10 miles of the Thames, about 6 miles of the oxford canal and about 3 miles of the cherwell for £12. I must have it down to under 50p per session already this season.
£12 sounds fantastic value, i pay nearly that for a day ticket!

Flathead

Site Supporter
One of the differences seems to be that clubs who have stillwaters are more expensive.

Many miles of rivers in the fens are free fishing or very cheap but those who have still waters tend to be more expensive.

Alongside the cheap river fishing, in Cambridgeshire, there is also some very expensive and exclusive lake fishing....mostly gravel pits, many are very well known.

Seems anglers do not want river fishing even though you can park where you fish on many of them round here, they are stuffed with fish and the banks are flat and even for the most part.....the downside is that many are overgrown and it can take a bit of work to prepare a swim....the other downside is that the fens can be pretty bleak and windy with little shelter.

Neil ofthe nene

Doing things differently.
Site Supporter
Economics 101 - supply and demand dictate price.

It is not cheap to run a fishery particularly if a club has few volunteers for working parties and have to get contractors in.

As for waiting lists, again the club will know how many members it can accommodate. Above that number and members would complain about a lack of pegs available at peak times. A balance has to be found.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
£12 sounds fantastic value, i pay nearly that for a day ticket!

Yeah pretty fishing much bargain of the century lol It’s supposedly got well over 500 members (the FB page has just shy of 700 so I can believe that) which is I guess how they keep the prices down. The matches get the same 15-20 regulars each time but there are always a few pleasure anglers on all the stretches so it does seem pretty well supported. Obviously not all the waters are wonderful but it does includes a handful of Thames stretches that probably would rank amongst some of the best on the Thames source to sea. That’s enough for me ??

Flathead

Site Supporter
Yeah pretty fishing much bargain of the century lol It’s supposedly got well over 500 members (the FB page has just shy of 700 so I can believe that) which is I guess how they keep the prices down. The matches get the same 15-20 regulars each time but there are always a few pleasure anglers on all the stretches so it does seem pretty well supported. Obviously not all the waters are wonderful but it does includes a handful of Thames stretches that probably would rank amongst some of the best on the Thames source to sea. That’s enough for me ??
If that is a Littlemore ticket?......which also gives access to all ODAA waters (and agreements with others cubs) then I think that is about £7 a year for an OAP permit

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
If that is a Littlemore ticket?......which also gives access to all ODAA waters (and agreements with others cubs) then I think that is about £7 a year for an OAP permit

Yep that’s the one ?. Thinking of joining the Kidlington club as well as littlemore next year as whilst they obviously share the same odaa waters it would give me in addition to them and the littlemore stretches (which are a lot now they water share with RDAA) some more productive canal and cherwell stretches (now accessible again due to works) for still only about £40 for the two clubs.

Flathead

Site Supporter
I thought anglers were supposed to be a diminishing breed ?
I think they probably are.....but things are also changing.

I remember when places like the Fens or the Trent would be solid with anglers for miles, especially at the weekend.

Nowadays it is the commercials which are busy....and carp lakes....now it is the river which are very quiet apart from the usual hotspots