still water barbel tips required (borwick)

Status
Not open for further replies.

gudderz1

Right im going fishing on saturday maybe friday night and im after tips for stillwater barbel, what approach should i addopt/ what tactics. what sort of features should i be looking for, i have loads of halibut pellets so will use them for bait i think, any other bait suggestions, also anyone ever fished at BORWICK does anybody know what they grow upto thanks

paul

Last edited:

phil-k

I've not fished Borwick (YET!!!-going in a fortnight[8D])

But I have fished Cudmore Milo which has a lot of stillwater barbel in it.

The barbel in there are to be found tight to the bank at the islands or in the underwater roots/branches of trees.

Luncheon meat is the best bait and stout tackle to get them away from the snags.

A 6lb barbel is a very good one on a stillwater and they are fast and strong.

Severn Wolf

Wait for June 16th then go and catch them in their natural enviroment, a RIVER.

Theres only one thing I hate more than fishery owners who stock barbel into stillwaters and thats folks dumb enough to fish for them....

gudderz1

well i am waiting for the 16th of june to go fish for them in the ribble but having found them in a still water rather near to here i wouldnt mind having a shot at them, a barbel is a barbel at the end of the day and is a fish i really want to catch so im going to give it a shot. it might not be natural but at the end of the day water is water, a fish in water is in its natural environment

Thom

severn wolf, a bit harsh dont you think?

i love my river barbel but still water fish are good fun too!v

phil-k

Originally posted by Severn Wolf

Wait for June 16th then go and catch them in their natural enviroment, a RIVER.

Theres only one thing I hate more than fishery owners who stock barbel into stillwaters and thats folks dumb enough to fish for them....

Well I hate you too!!![;)] snobby get[xx(]

breamcatcher

15/07/06 -016/02/14
In Memoriam
I have fished at Borwick quite a few times in the past four/five years and to be honest i have never heard or seen of any Barbel being caught.Stuffed with carp etc but Barbel im not so sure of,
Might be just me though but good luck anyway, be interesting to hear how you get on.

gudderz1

yeah well it says on their website they have a river pool, it also has chub in aswell as golden tench and other species.i wanted to go to ribble this weekend but was told it was closed season so thats out the window. now found a place that i can fish thart has them, cant wait, goingto give i a shot. do you have any tips for the carp breamcatcher

Severn Wolf

Metal, nope thats not harsh. The truth often appears that way though.

They`re stocked with one thought in mind, money. Its another species that can be added to the list advertising the fisheries. "Oh, we`ve got 21 different species INCLUDING barbel, sturgeon, american black bass, salmon and soddin burbot."

Do me a favour.Its not fishing anymore. Its just a money geared enterprise to cater for lazy anglers who expect the world on their doorstep. Fish welfare doesn`t matter a jot to either the anglers or the fishery owners.

mouse77

Originally posted by Severn Wolf

Metal, nope thats not harsh. The truth often appears that way though.

They`re stocked with one thought in mind, money. Its another species that can be added to the list advertising the fisheries. "Oh, we`ve got 21 different species INCLUDING barbel, sturgeon, american black bass, salmon and soddin burbot."

Do me a favour.Its not fishing anymore. Its just a money geared enterprise to cater for lazy anglers who expect the world on their doorstep. Fish welfare doesn`t matter a jot to either the anglers or the fishery owners.

Agreed....

Thom

oh well personally i would much rather fish somwhere like anglers paridise where they have nearly every species possible than somewhere stocked full of roach, i prefer to unexpected personally [:)]

Severn Wolf

So you`d avoid the lake shaped like a tench then[:D]

Places like Anglers Paradise don`t bother me too much. Its these overstocked match waters or holes in the ground stuffed with fish like barbel and sturgeon that have absolutely no right to be there that get my goat.

We must be a dying breed of angler, the ones prepared to fail.

piroflip

Yes ive had barbel from Borwick. From what is known as the catfish lake. though why they put cats in a pond that you could almost jump over is beyond me.

Status
Not open for further replies.