Stick floats, reels and set ups

NoCarpPlease

Site Supporter
For stick work, you can't beat a 'pin reel.
I beg to differ.
Aside from the learning curve being much greater ... centrepins work better with heavier shooting for trotting - particularly with an upstream wind.
Evesham has a prevailing sw up streamer ... and the Avon roach prefer ultra light shotting on many occasions.

kro2

I beg to differ.
Aside from the learning curve being much greater ... centrepins work better with heavier shooting for trotting - particularly with an upstream wind.
Evesham has a prevailing sw up streamer ... and the Avon roach prefer ultra light shotting on many occasions.
Used to use a pin at Barton and around Stratford years ago. Being honest I never really got it!

Trailblazer

Account Locked
I beg to differ.

I've no problem trotting a 2gm float with a centrepin reel. Never tried a lighter one that I can remember as 2grm was always light enough.
Unfortunately I have no control over the wind so up or down I just work round it....no prob's :).
If were talking trotting a waggler float then the fixed spool is my choice.

kro2

I beg to differ.
One thing be interested to know. In the summer on the Avon its difficult to even get a bait through the small stuff. Fishing heavier helps to an extent but a lot of the time maggots ragged without even seeing a bite even had half ounce fish on a tare

NoCarpPlease

Site Supporter
I've no problem trotting a 2gm float with a centrepin reel. Never tried a lighter one that I can remember as 2grm was always light enough.
Unfortunately I have no control over the wind so up or down I just work round it....no prob's :).
If were talking trotting a waggler float then the fixed spool is my choice.

And there’s the difference ... 2g is 10xno.4 ... which is massive for the kind of fishing I do a lot of the time.
Different styles for different people on different waters ... good thing is we all catch fish and enjoy it ?

NoCarpPlease

Site Supporter
One thing be interested to know. In the summer on the Avon its difficult to even get a bait through the small stuff. Fishing heavier helps to an extent but a lot of the time maggots ragged without even seeing a bite even had half ounce fish on a tare

I don’t venture as far downstream as Evesham, but like most places it will be a combination of
Feeding
Wading through the small stuff and catching about to get rid of the shoal
Being on the right peg ... the better fish are not everywhere
30 years ago the better roach didn’t really feed (on maggots) until the autumn. I think this is still largely true. In the summer hemp or caster is much better in my experience.

tincaboy2

Which size spool would be better for stick float fishing...
Ninja Match LT 3000-C
Bearings: 4
Gear ratio: 5.3:1
Spare spool: without
Spool capacity: 0.23/150 mm/m
Weight: 260.00 g
Code: 10217-300

Ninja Match & Feeder LT 4000-C
Gear ratio: 5.2:1
Spool capacity: 0.28/150 mm/m
Weight: 285.00 g
Code: 10217-400

trotter2

Ninja Match LT 3000-C

No idea on those reels but one of the most important points is make sure you can reach the lip of the spool comfortably with your finger tip.

tincaboy2

so in the end I've gone with the 3000LT Match Double Handed version due to the fact it is lighter than the 3000LT Match Single Handed version. reason being that the single handed version has a one touch folding mechanism which is heavier than the Double handed.

SpenBeck

Site Supporter
Ninja Match LT 3000-C

I have Ninja 3012's for float fishing - stick/waggler and Ninja 4012s for medium+ distance feeder fishing.