STICK FLOAT TYPES AND THEIR USES

Status
Not open for further replies.

Barrie44

' The Hulk '
Hope this helps someone, I see alot of people asking me what float does what so I posted this.[;)]

A Stabilizers are good for running through at the speed of the flow. The bulge at the bottom of the float makes them very stable

B Wire stemmed sticks are used in pacey water and are good for holding back

C Pointed top floats are very sensitive and are usefull when bites are shy

D Domed Top floats have their bouyancy right at the top of the float making them less likely to ride out of the water when holding back
Datafile4.gif
Datafile4.gif
Floats direct is where I had this imfomation OF which I agree with.

If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles.

Last edited:

esox.20

04/11/01 - 12/10/15
In Memoriam
quote:D Domed Top floats have their bouyancy right at the top of the float making them less likely to ride out of the water when holding back
I was under the impression that a float with a shoulder ie avon type in fact similar to numbers one and two were the best for holding back as its the shoulder that prevents them riding out of the water.
Suely a domed top would by its design ride out of the water when held back?

chill out go fishing

Datafile2.asp

Barrie44

' The Hulk '
Esox My friend here is how I look at using stick floats.
I'm sure someone will have a thing or two to add we can all learn by [:)]

Float selection depends on the depth and flow of the River. As a general guide, in slow running water you need about one No8 shot to every foot of water.In medium paced swims one No6 shot per foot.In fast water, one No4 shot per foot. So in fast moving water which is about six feet deep you will be looking to use a 6 No4 stick float Therefore if the River is medium paced and is about ten feet deep, you would want a 10 No6 float. Just because a Stick Float with a shotting capacity 6 No 4's, it doesn't mean you have to put 6 No 4's down the line. You could have 2 No 1's and 2 No 4's Which would sink much quicker than 6 No4's.

You have selected and attached your Stick Float and tied your hook, where do you put the shot. The most common style of shotting is called the Shirt Button style. Shot are placed evenly down the line getting smaller as you get to the hook. This style is fine for moderate or slow paced rivers. For faster Rivers you need to bunch the bulk of the shot around three quarters down the line and spread the remainder evenly between the bulk and the hook.

TROTTING

There are four basic ways to trot a stick (1) Running through (2) Lift and Drop (3)On the Drop (4)Holding Back

(1) Running through at the speed of the flow is probably the most natural way of fishing a stick float. When fishing this style you don't just let your float go down the river. You ease it down by keeping your index finger on the spool and following the float with your rod. When you have ran out of line release you finger bring the rod up and start the process again. The secret of fishing this method is not to let your line get in front of the float, as this will increase the speed of the float and take the float away from the feed line. The line must be tight to the float and out of the water as much as possible.

(2) Sometimes you can catch fish by making the bait rise and fall as it travels through the swim. You do this by setting your float to the depth of the swim and stopping the float by placing your finger on the spool. The bait then rises up off the bottom and drops again when you release your finger. How often you do this and the amount of time you hold back is dependent upon the flow and the way the fish are feeding. The only way is to experiment.

(3) When the fish are feeding in mid-water try to catch them on the drop. Fish this rig off the bottom and shot it lightly so that the bait fails slowly through the feed area. By casting so that the shot lands in a straight line downstream of the float, the bait sinks in a smooth arc. The float gradually rights itself as the bait sinks, and is able to register a fish intercepting the bait on the drop.

(4)When the water temperature is low holding back scores. You set the float 6-18in over depth and you keep your finger on the spool. This method is useful when the fish don't want to chase after food.
Datafile4.asp

If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles.

esox.20

04/11/01 - 12/10/15
In Memoriam
quote: Esox My friend here is how I look at using stick floats.
Barrie you are not "my friend" in fact I feel insulted by your remarks. I have used stick floats for over 30 years and am fully aware of the shotting patterns as well as the variations.

chill out go fishing

Datafile2.asp

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Whoa !! Slow down a little John. Barrie's post was as he stated
quote: Hope this helps someone, I see alot of people asking me what float does what so I posted this

Not a 'you must do....'

[:)]

Dave
Datafile2.asp

Free MD's Stickers

esox.20

04/11/01 - 12/10/15
In Memoriam
So why was I picked out by name?

chill out go fishing

Datafile2.asp

Barrie44

' The Hulk '
Now I am confused, When did I "insult you"? I got the feeling we are supose tobe all friends here!! Or are you just picking on me, for being helpful to others? We all have diffent points of views I put mine across to help people here.

You say So why was I picked out by name? I did'nt mention you're name.!!

Chill out. Tight Lines.

Datafile4.asp

stiffler

Crafty Carper !
now,now,lads you both have your own point of vew . if people didnt then there would be only 1 type of grown bait or 1 type of rod,reel ect . so let all be friends and help each other out .
Happy fishing !!!!

m hewitt
<'//<

Status
Not open for further replies.