Stick float rod recommendations in £50 - £100 price range

minkyandbear

Site Supporter
As the title says I am considering buying a 13' rod suitable for stick float fishing for under £100.

Just to set the scene I have owned some beautiful rods in the past, Normarks, Drennan IM8's and currently have three 13' rods; a Drennan Matchpro Ultralight, a Preston Carbonactive and a Cadence 13''#3

What I am looking for is a 13' rod with an action somewhere between the Matchpro and the Cadence. Part of the reason I am considering a lower cost rod is I will be using it on some pretty awkward to access swins and wouldn't want to risk the more expensive rods, especially the Drennan.

Because I am rather a Cadence fan then either of their #1 or #2 would fit the bill but is just above my self imposed budget.

I was thinking something along the lines of a Shakespeare Suoerteam?

Any suggestions/recommendations would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Paul

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Be a struggle to get something suitable under £100, only new rods I can think of that would do the the job are the Shakespeare agility or agility lite that bobco are knocking out for £60 something which were formerly £100 plus rods. My dads got a Preston Tyson that was about £65 and for it’s price it’s not got a bad action so is just about workable for rivers.

Tbh as the rest of this river season is probably a washout/corona’d out if I were you I’d wait and see if cadence do a Easter sale as you may well be able to get a #1 for very little over the £100 mark then and it will be in a different league to anything cheaper.

trotter2

As the title says I am considering buying a 13' rod suitable for stick float fishing for under £100.

Just to set the scene I have owned some beautiful rods in the past, Normarks, Drennan IM8's and currently have three 13' rods; a Drennan Matchpro Ultralight, a Preston Carbonactive and a Cadence 13''#3

What I am looking for is a 13' rod with an action somewhere between the Matchpro and the Cadence. Part of the reason I am considering a lower cost rod is I will be using it on some pretty awkward to access swins and wouldn't want to risk the more expensive rods, especially the Drennan.

Because I am rather a Cadence fan then either of their #1 or #2 would fit the bill but is just above my self imposed budget.

I was thinking something along the lines of a Shakespeare Suoerteam?

Any suggestions/recommendations would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Paul
You are going to struggle to find something new, have you considered something secondhand?.

minkyandbear

Site Supporter
You are going to struggle to find something new, have you considered something secondhand?.
Yes I'd certain consider s/h, in fact I do rather regret selling my IM8 stick rod..

Be a struggle to get something suitable under £100, only new rods I can think of that would do the the job are the Shakespeare agility or agility lite that bobco are knocking out for £60 something which were formerly £100 plus rods. My dads got a Preston Tyson that was about £65 and for it’s price it’s not got a bad action so is just about workable for rivers.

Tbh as the rest of this river season is probably a washout/corona’d out if I were you I’d wait and see if cadence do a Easter sale as you may well be able to get a #1 for very little over the £100 mark then and it will be in a different league to anything cheaper.
Again a very sensible option and am certainly in no rush with the potentially limited opportunities on the river this season.

david white

Site Supporter
Another vote for the Cadence #1 even if you have to pay list price the quality ( in my experience ) and reviews are totally justified and it’s bound to compliment your #3 and will be far less risky than buying an used rod ‘ blind ‘

minkyandbear

Site Supporter
Another vote for the Cadence #1 even if you have to pay list price the quality ( in my experience ) and reviews are totally justified and it’s bound to compliment your #3 and will be far less risky than buying an used rod ‘ blind ‘
Thanks David. Do you have both the 13' #1 and 2? If so how would you rate each for stick float work?

(Btw, I have a few Cadence rods now and have always bought them having tried them at a Cadence roadshow or have met James bankside)

david white

Site Supporter
Cards on the table

Bought the 15 #1 on James's advice as I’ve never felt happy with my Titan 2000 at 15 ft ( using the 2 ft extension ) and for general float fishing the 15 #1 is spot on for the deeper rivers up here ( no non ‘ stick float ‘ labelled rod is going to be as crisp as a designated stick float rod but good luck finding one ! )

At 13 ft I’d still use the Titan ( but I’m seriously considering selling it on to someone who will use it week in week out as it’s wasted sitting doing diddle squat ) but I’ve been using the 13 #2 on the smaller rivers up here ( loads of snags and decent chub so got a bit more lower down grunt than the Titan ) and the #2 is lovely on still waters where there’s a chance of carp muscling in

As you already have the #3 I’d go for the #1 you can always go a tad heavier on one or lighter on the other ( if I sell my Titan 2000 I’d be happy with the #2 as a replacement but I can’t lie I’d miss the feel of the Normark )

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
I tend to use my acolyte ultra for trotting as its both lighter in weight and action than my #1 and it has a quicker more precise action but I have trotted with the #1 a few times and it's certainly still up to the job just not quite as refined which you'd expect given its a fair bit cheaper.

TrickyD

Site Supporter
There are usually a few on ebay, had a quick look just now and there are a couple of Drennan ones, and a few others, but a few are usually listed with broken tips, and don't believe the "won't affect usage " as they didn't manufacture the rod at 12' 10" for a reason.

david white

Site Supporter
There are usually a few on ebay, had a quick look just now and there are a couple of Drennan ones, and a few others, but a few are usually listed with broken tips, and don't believe the "won't affect usage " as they didn't manufacture the rod at 12' 10" for a reason.
Exactly what I was referring too when buying blind 12 ft 10” usually means a slight tip loss but many rods still measure 13 ft to essentially the seller “ hasn’t mis sold “ according to eBay !!
many ‘ stick float ‘ rods from yesterday year also have older style sliding reel fittings which aren’t to everyone’s taste either

TrickyD

Site Supporter
Exactly what I was referring too when buying blind 12 ft 10” usually means a slight tip loss but many rods still measure 13 ft to essentially the seller “ hasn’t mis sold “ according to eBay !!
many ‘ stick float ‘ rods from yesterday year also have older style sliding reel fittings which aren’t to everyone’s taste either
Having a few inches trimmed off the handle wouldn't put me off, some handles can be too long to start with. I know what you mean about sliding reel fittings, I had my Shimano twin power splice tipped rod changed from a cork handle to just a Fuji screw reel fitting and bare carbon on the rest of the handle. Still use it, had a couple of outings with it last autumn.

nejohn

Site Supporter
If only it was the handle that was missing 2 inches... Unfortunately in most cases the handle is fully intact unlike the tip section which is missing the top 2 inches hence where the 12'10'' comes from. Many good stick float rods from a few years ago had a spliced tip which although I have not broken one myself are prone to breakages if not treated with care

trotter2

If you don't wish to go second hand and I can't blame you TBH. The cadence for only little bit more cash is a good choice. Nothing wrong with them and represent excellent value for money.

dave brittain 1

Site Supporter
If the Shakespeare Superteam is the old Mach 3 blank and I believe it may be, it's a great rod for the money. I've caught a lot of fish on the old Superteam LXL's and the Mach 3 which were the same blanks, (the LXL's had an extension, i.e. 12/16ft, 13/17ft and 14/18ft). The LXL 12/16 was the pick of the LXL and I still use mine and the Mach 3 13ft. Fine for the waggler and stick and I wouldn't be surprised if the Cadence No 2 is very similar as James designed both rods.

Browner

Site Supporter
I think your biggest problem at the moment will be finding stock of anything. I spoke with a tackle shop today and he thinks 2021 is potentially going to be a tough year for supply of major items like rods and poles. Shops seem to have very little available.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
If the Shakespeare Superteam is the old Mach 3 blank and I believe it may be, it's a great rod for the money. I've caught a lot of fish on the old Superteam LXL's and the Mach 3 which were the same blanks, (the LXL's had an extension, i.e. 12/16ft, 13/17ft and 14/18ft). The LXL 12/16 was the pick of the LXL and I still use mine and the Mach 3 13ft. Fine for the waggler and stick and I wouldn't be surprised if the Cadence No 2 is very similar as James designed both rods.

LXL 13/17' was a great rod for me I managed to get for a bargain price from someone kindly off here. I'm looking to replace the broken tip section of it at the moment and have heard it's interchangeable I think with a Mach 3. I have heard good things about Mach 3 rods too but I had a Mach 1 and this was the budget rod at the time and nowhere near Mach 3 standard.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Glasgow angling are doing the tfgear nantec Classic for £50 at the moment. Pretty sure it was over £100 when it came out so should be decent plus most the early tfgear rods were fairly well rated for their price point.

satinet

Site Supporter
I found the Mach 3xt normal float rod a little sloppy. Well compared to my frenzee precision which is quite tippy. The mach 3 also weighs around 230g with thing longer butt.