Stick float rod Daiwa Matchwinner 13' Stick

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
I beg to differ. I consider the action of the 15' Maver Signature to be closely comparable to the 15' Acolyte Plus. But then again, what do I know, I just own and use them both (along with the 15' Acolyte Ultra). I'd go so far as to say that I'd not be remotely surprised if Maver gave an Acolyte Plus to their manufacturers and said copy that, but make it a little tougher. If, as I suspect, you are comparing it to an Acolyte Ultra, you may have more of a point, but by just saying "Acolyte", you don't make it clear enough.

An Acolyte Ultra will undoubtedly be considered as a silvers rod by many. An Acolyte Plus is certainly a bit more than just a silvers rod, much like the Maver Signature. However, both Acolyte models are lighter than a Maver Signature at the corresponding length. It shouldn't be too much of a shock to anyone that a buyer presented with two similar rods, at similar prices, is likely to take the one that feels lighter in the shop. An awful lot of the success of the Acolytes can be attributed to them being impressively light at a relatively sensible price.
Sorry yes I did mean the ultra ??

trotter2

They have had a 13'er gathering dust in our local for a while. At full price, people compare them directly to an Acolyte. The Acolyte leaves the shop and the Maver gathers more dust. Shame really, because they are decent rods, just not quite as light.
I will have a look next time I am in . Regarding the rod action was told the same from a good friend similar to a plus. Probably why I never bothered about them already have a few plus rods don't need any more. But do like the handle reel seat on the maver.

trotter2

Chris what's your opinion on the browning compared to others ,were do you find it slots in . Just interested if you have a similar conclusion to myself
I find it light enough to catch Dace and grayling but also with more power to cope with bonus fish . Sweet spot is fish anything from say 6oz to 5lb. Its a versatile trotting rod. Covers more ground than say an acolyte ultra or plus.
Not as light as the ultra and not as well balanced and probably not as much fun to use as an acolyte ultra for smaller fish . But the browning is a cracking good all around stick rod. I would imagine perfect for the swale were your next fish could be a small grayling or a dog of a chub.
One rod you could use for a multitude of light to medium trotting on running water without any major problems.

Sam Vimes

Site Supporter
Chris what's your opinion on the browning compared to others ,were do you find it slots in . Just interested if you have a similar conclusion to myself
I find it light enough to catch Dace and grayling but also with more power to cope with bonus fish . Sweet spot is fish anything from say 6oz to 5lb. Its a versatile trotting rod. Covers more ground than say an acolyte ultra or plus.
Not as light as the ultra and not as well balanced and probably not as much fun to use as an acolyte ultra for smaller fish . But the browning is a cracking good all around stick rod. I would imagine perfect for the swale were your next fish could be a small grayling or a dog of a chub.
One rod you could use for a multitude of light to medium trotting on running water without any major problems.

If you want a more direct comparison to the Acolytes, try the Sphere Match. It's a fairer comparison and, at 13', this Sphere just pips the Acolytes on weight

As for the Spliced Tip Spheres, their awkward lengths make them more difficult to compare directly to anything. However, they are still lighter than any other spliced tip rod I've encountered, even though they are six inches longer than the rods you might reasonably compare them to. I've never noticed any tip heaviness in the 13'6" model, but it's certainly apparent in the 15'6" rod. It's nowhere near enough of an issue to put me off the longer variant.

I consider the Spliced Tip Spheres to be the best trotting rods I've ever encountered. I've had no issues with anything from dace to double figure barbel (which actually surprised me). As much of my fishing revolves around grayling, their ability with them is paramount. Over the past month or two, I've been using alternatives just to check my thoughts on the Spheres. As far as I'm concerned, nothing compares, regardless of the price.

Strangely, though it's a good rod, I'm not quite so enamoured with the Sphere Match (waggler) rod.

adriang

Site Supporter
If you want a more direct comparison to the Acolytes, try the Sphere Match. It's a fairer comparison and, at 13', this Sphere just pips the Acolytes on weight

As for the Spliced Tip Spheres, their awkward lengths make them more difficult to compare directly to anything. However, they are still lighter than any other spliced tip rod I've encountered, even though they are six inches longer than the rods you might reasonably compare them to. I've never noticed any tip heaviness in the 13'6" model, but it's certainly apparent in the 15'6" rod. It's nowhere near enough of an issue to put me off the longer variant.

I consider the Spliced Tip Spheres to be the best trotting rods I've ever encountered. I've had no issues with anything from dace to double figure barbel (which actually surprised me). As much of my fishing revolves around grayling, their ability with them is paramount. Over the past month or two, I've been using alternatives just to check my thoughts on the Spheres. As far as I'm concerned, nothing compares, regardless of the price.

Strangely, though it's a good rod, I'm not quite so enamoured with the Sphere Match (waggler) rod.
I am really curious to take a look at one of these Browning Spheres.. was banking on getting my hands on one at the 'Big One' show this year..

trotter2

I am really curious to take a look at one of these Browning Spheres.. was banking on getting my hands on one at the 'Big One' show this year..
Well worth a look adriang
Very versatile rod don't know if there is any truth but someone posted they thought possibly "discontinued" ?.