Stephens of Birmingham

Simon R

Site Supporter
Before the plastic and glass fibre boxes became popular I, and all my mates, had either a wicker basket or the 'modern' Efgeeco or Stephens boxes.
The Efgeeco was metal framed - they came in various sizes with a hardboard 'seat'. Over time the hardboard would develop a sag until inevitably there came a day when the hardboard no longer spanned the gap and ones arse would get well and truly jammed. :p
1581719157048.png

The Stephens box was generally considered to be the better of the two since the later models (of which our group owned two) were of wooden construction and generally felt more solid and better put together. There were heavier than an equivalent sized Efgeeco and couldn't hold as much gear - the Efgeeco being surprisingly spacious.
1581719971868.png

I remember the holdall too - a number of us owned one of those at one time or another
Didn't Bennetts of Sheffield sell Stephens gear on their famous interest free credit deals?

Simon

Simon

banksy

Life Member
Site Supporter
That Stephens box was brilliant. With just the PVC cover and aluminium frame, it was light as a feather.
A mate and I used to park on the A1 road bridge over the Trent, scramble down the steep embankment, then walk down to Crankley Point. Sprinting at times when other cars had arrived at the bridge at the same time as us! Couldn't do that now with my seatbox!
With its voluminous side pockets, there seemed to be no limit to the amount of stuff you could fit in, like 6 pints of maggots, casters, meat etc, plus all the paraphenalia for a day's fishing, including big flask, food, waders and waterproofs.
I too experienced the collapsed lid and jammed backside issue, but it was relatively easy to unpick the back stitching on the lid, insert a piece of 1/2" plywood and sew it back up again.
I also had the circular section rod holdall, but with its six plastic rod tubes, it was a touch on the heavy side.

Last edited:

Zerkalo

Quality posts @Simon R and @banksy The part about the lid sagging made me laugh as the same has happened to our box.

It's still going to be put to use by my nephew I think!

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
That Stephens box was brilliant. With just the PVC cover and aluminium frame, it was light as a feather.
A mate and I used to park on the A1 road bridge over the Trent, scramble down the steep embankment, then walk down to Crankley Point. Sprinting at times when other cars had arrived at the bridge at the same time as us! Couldn't do that now with my seatbox!
With its voluminous side pockets, there seemed to be no limit to the amount of stuff you could fit in, like 6 pints of maggots, casters, meat etc, plus all the paraphenalia for a day's fishing, including big flask, food, waders and waterproofs.
I too experienced the collapsed lid and jammed backside issue, but it was relatively easy to unpick the back stitching on the lid, insert a piece of 1/2" plywood and sew it back up again.
I also had the circular section rod holdall, but with its six plastic rod tubes, it was a touch on the heavy side.
So you were the angler that kept beating me to Crankley point were you ? ?? Ive been on my backside many a time scrambling down that A1 banking. I wonder what the police would have to say if you parked on the A1 bridge nowadays ? ???

Bob Greenway

Went to visit my Brother in the Isle of Wight and he has the tackle we used as kids that was previously my dads. I remember using this and some other stuff he had.

stephens.JPG
(stock photo)

Anyone remember these? Was Stephens of Birmingham a tackle company?
Stephens of B'ham in the 70- 80s manufactured all types of angling seat boxes, holdalls, umbrellas, keepnet bags and one piece 'Zoot' suits.... Owned by Tony Stevens.

Deejay8

Site Supporter
I remember a few guys using that type of box in the early 1980s. Before the Shakespeare/Daiwa/Galaxy plastic boxes came out, they were an affordable and useful box. Before I got my Shakespeare box, I used to have a small plastic cantilever carry box for terminal tackle and floats and a small folding stool, and a small rucksack to carry bait, my reel and sarnies. Rucksack on back, box and landing net in left hand, rod and net handle in my right hand, and I was ready to go.

Dean56

Site Supporter
My first box was a Berwood, just a plywood crate covered in brown vinyl , had two external pockets which I thought was pretty tricky at the time. Thought I looked quite the Bob Nudd with a couple of house bricks under the front legs to level off on the banks of the Severn!. Have a Inception HD 150 now, just a tad different, although my favourite box was a Water Queen, first continental style box I owned, very comfortable, good draws etc., fitted Octoplus legs,made it very useable. Have not seen one since, are there still any out there?

matti

Site Supporter
I had a stephens holdall, in blue and black, enough room for 2-3 rod tubes, must have had it for 30 years, only recently became beyound repair

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
I had a wooden box with brown vinyl covering, foam-padded lid, two side pockets, and a net pocket at the front that you couldn't fit a net into :)
And a roll up canvas rod holdall with tubes in that made me feel important as some of the big names at the time also had them

The Landlord

Site Supporter
My first box was also one of those brown vinyl wooden jobs. Think it cost me £12. Couldn't get much in it.

BARBELIN

Yes, I had the Stephens matchman holdall 5 tube with the Velcro top and the Berwood seatbox in brown zip side pockets and the big pocket at the front. All around 1985.

Dean56

Site Supporter
I had a wooden box with brown vinyl covering, foam-padded lid, two side pockets, and a net pocket at the front that you couldn't fit a net into :)
And a roll up canvas rod holdall with tubes in that made me feel important as some of the big names at the time also had them
Luxury! I used to dream of foam padding :oops:

dave brittain 1

The Stevens and Brennan and Hickman roll up holdalls and boxes were superb quality and lasted years. I bought a Brennan and Hickman Alloy framed box with the green PVC covering and it had rucksack style webbing for carrying it, possibly the best lightweight river box I've had. Those were the days when you'd have to find planks of wood, dried sticks, stones and anything else to try and level your box.

Yosemite Sam

Site Supporter
I had a holdall and box; forever trying to get the frame together on the box and replaced in about 1987 with a Shakespeare box. Here's the holdall and box.
C21 - Bag of roach on Quay.jpg
Look at you with your brogues and wax jacket. Trying to take the title of ”Best dressed fisherman “ off Arry. Nice fish by the way.

BBear

Site Supporter
I also had the brown vinyl covered box - here’s me sat on it on the GU canal in the the late 70’s aged 15. Fond memories....

Attachments

• 5B704B21-E2CE-4F15-853E-0F7E8FC57851.jpeg
    5B704B21-E2CE-4F15-853E-0F7E8FC57851.jpeg
    426.6 KB · Views: 7