Staying warm enough to fish

banksy

Life Member
Site Supporter
I know this has been done to death, but it's never been a problem for me, until now!
Since my spell in hospital in March, I've lost about 4 stone.
It's said that whales and walruses can stand cold temperatures because of their blubber. Well it must be true, because this old walrus is now feeling the cold in his bones.

So what's to do? I have a few old thermals from places like M&S and tkmaxx, but they don't seem to be very effective.
Is Merino wool worth the price?
I thought about a Preston Celsius suit, but everywhere seems to be out of stock.

Any suggestions gratefully received, except that of staying at home.
:)

Total

Site Supporter
@banksy ............Dave, Benwicks are listing the Preston Celsius Suits as in stock unless one needs the biggest size....(y).....Obviously please bell 'em first to check stock etc......

davej

old hippy
Site Supporter
Check out "foods to keep you warm" oats and bananas are supposed to help. If you're cold when you get to the bank you'll stay that way.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
I've bought a Daiwa jacket this year that will keep me warmish but I'm slim build, feel the cold, but that makes it easier to do what my mom always told me, 'wear lots of layers'.

carphauler

Roachhauler
I bought fancy socks etc but the ones that keep my feet warm are just plain old wool, 2 pairs on, a nice pair of soft comfy socks then the wool ones over the top, plus a thick neck warmer and various hats, deer trappers being my favourite, cold wind on your neck or back is never nice.

NoCarpPlease

Site Supporter
With clothing, Three things keep you warm
1. loft - the amount of air trapped by the clothing layer that is then heated up by your body
2. windproof - windchill is a heat robber! directly on the skin but also replacing nicely warmed air with cold
3. waterproof/breathable - wet clothing transfers heat away from your body rather too efficiently

obviously gaps, extremities and your ability to move when looking like the Michelin man are also a factor.

I like a 3 layer system
base layer for comfort
mid layer(s) for warmth
shell layer for water and windproof
(obviously there's some overlap - such as quilt insulate waterproofs and thicker base layers).

the best warm layers are artificial fibre (usually quilted), fibre pile or fleece. Down is great in dry cold but not so good in UK dampness.
A close fit that allows the required movement is much better than a loose fit.

IMO - merino is not worth it for fishing as its main benefit as a material is anti-bacterial to avoid smells for multi-day use.

Arry

Aitch, Cantankerous old gimmer with "Views"
Site Supporter
Tips....
1 tuck long johns or joggers into socks
2 wear a scarf... draughts means cold
3 good pair of fingerless neoprene mitts are great
4 warm hat.. baseball caps don't cut it... get a woolly or thinsulate lined hat
5 make sure your jacket has adjustable cuffs
6 don't wear too many layers, if you sweat you'll be cold
7 warm drinks are good but leave coffee alone or you'll be stopping for a pee more often... drink a good chunky soup, it'll fill you up and keep you going longer
8 have some porridge for brekky... long slow burning carbs keep you warm and active...

Hope this helps...👍

Paul Cresswell

Site Supporter
I too suffer in the cold (poor circulation) and always think when your feet start to get cold then the rest of you does. After trying many boot makes and socks I now have Blazewear heated socks, inside neoprene wellies. On cool days they work great, on very cold days I wouldnt describe my feet as toasty warm but I will say I never think about my feet any more. Not cheap but worth it for me. Btw don’t try the cheap versions on eBay, no good.

Reuben

Site Supporter
Treat yourself to a pair of British Army surplus ‘softy’ insulated trousers to go over a decent set of thermals or warm joggers then a pair of waterproof trousers. A couple of pairs of decent wool socks - you could do worse than the British Army ‘Arctic’ ones then a decent pair of boots or neoprene wellies - loads out there. A wool hat & a buff or scarf. It’s not hard to dress warm, mate.

John Step

Site Supporter
Regarding clothing I find a bib and brace which is high up the back keeps the draughts out.
As well as all the advice on warm clothing the other obvious consideration , study the weather forecast for the wind direction and fish if possible with it in your back with a brolly behind you. If its not a match where you are told where to fish choose your venue accordingly. Worth an extra overcoat.

Matt Simmy

Matress
Site Supporter
I too suffer in the cold (poor circulation) and always think when your feet start to get cold then the rest of you does. After trying many boot makes and socks I now have Blazewear heated socks, inside neoprene wellies. On cool days they work great, on very cold days I wouldnt describe my feet as toasty warm but I will say I never think about my feet any more. Not cheap but worth it for me. Btw don’t try the cheap versions on eBay, no good.
Just had a look...nearly 90 quid a pair 😳😳

Fugley-fisher

Site Supporter
Thermal boots, a decent breathable waterprove top layer with enough room to add a couple layers under I have the preston df no lining as I've still got my blubber but able to wear track bottoms + longjohns if needed and a fleece under the jacke, think the word is flexible so if it's wet but mild I don't cook but cold n dry with wind I'm still ok, if you get a padded suit you loose the ability to shed layers if needed.

Robwooly

Anyone suffer from cold hands? - its the blood going through the wrists getting cold that chills them, since I found this out I rarely suffer from cold hands whilst fishing now, I find an oversized hoodie with elasticated wrists does the job nicely. Hope this helps

Reuben

Site Supporter
Anyone suffer from cold hands? - its the blood going through the wrists getting cold that chills them, since I found this out I rarely suffer from cold hands whilst fishing now, I find an oversized hoodie with elasticated wrists does the job nicely. Hope this helps
Have you tried wrist gaiters? Never needed them myself but a couple of lads I used to fish with swore by them in Winter.

Robwooly

Have you tried wrist gaiters? Never needed them myself but a couple of lads I used to fish with swore by them in Winter.
Wrist gaiters sounds like something you'll get arrested for in The Everglades :D I'll check them out cheers

lp1886

Site Supporter
The hand warmer packs are also good to keep in your pockets or slide inside your wellies. You can pick them up from B&M or homebargains for £1 each and help on those icebreaker days.

DFL

Site Supporter
I would add one more to Arry’s great list of 8. Movement, especially if you are sitting, just a quick few steps, skips, arm waving, you’ll look a loonie but keeping the circulation going is paramount.

nutmeg

Site Supporter
Buy some packets of hand warmers, these self heat and warm up once exposed to the air, l use thses all through the colder months, no use if you suffer from Poleitus but if your fishing the tip and able to put tour hands in your pockets while waiting for a bite, these are the remedy. I stocked up during the summer when Tesco were selling them for 25p a packet. They do stay active for upto 10 hours as stated. They are single use only, but worth it.

John Step

Site Supporter
I would throw the cat amongst the pigeons to say we have not had a cold winter for some years . Certainly not cold enough for artic type protection clothing. Sods law this winter will be the humdinger!