Staunton harold

wishfullbagger

wishfullbagger
Site Supporter
I am going to staunton harold fishing soon has anybody fished this place and can give me a few pointers as in what bait to take and how far out to fish
many thanks wishfullbagger (y)

Arch

Site Supporter
I'm reliably informed peg 59 is a good area, park behind your peg. Broardstone lane and park down the side of Derby hills fm (i thinks it's called) You'll need to go a good chuck, 70m.

Or walk from the carpark to pegs 14-16 and chuck 50-60m. Bait wise. It's Old school. Maggots, Casters, Worms, Corn. Fishmeal type G/B and keep it going in.

I think the pegs in front of the children's play area are also worth a try.

Last edited:

wishfullbagger

wishfullbagger
Site Supporter
I'm reliably informed peg 59 is a good area, park behind your peg. Broardstone lane and park down the side of Derby hills fm (i thinks it's called) You'll need to go a good chuck, 70m.

Or walk from the carpark to pegs 14-16 and chuck 50-60m. Bait wise. It's Old school. Maggots, Casters, Worms, Corn. Fishmeal type G/B and keep it going in.

thanks arch 50/60 m seems a hell of a Chuck. Do you fish with braid mate and a shocker line and would you recommend 8 or 10 lb shocker, what about hook lengths and size of hooks arch, I do appreciate your knowledge on Staunton mate. 👍

Arch

Site Supporter
I'm no expert down there, it's just big water Bream fishing. Everyone seems to want to cast to the horizon these days. If you're down there on your own i'd imagine you'd catch closer. Could you pre-bait ?? That may help.

I do use Braid and a shockleader. Cheap braid from the Bay, 8lb Maxima shockleader, 4 turns of it onto the reel. 16s - 14s even 12s with double Corn. As for hooklengths, just match them to the hook and size of fish you're getting.

It hasn't fished that well this year, still decent weights, but not like some matches last year. Lots of ton weights last season. I need to fish it a bit more often, seeing as i'm a member there.

Arch

Site Supporter
One other thing, take a platform and some waders, because you'll need to be out in the water a distance.

Dave Spence

MD virtual champion 2020. Golden Pie winner 2018.
Site Supporter
I was a regular there in the 70/80's, we used to fish a yard overdepth with giant, bodied wagglers (4-6 ssg). A long 50 metre chuck and let the wind gently drag the bait, fishing overdepth slowed it down and the big wagglers would not keep sinking with the drag. Lots of 1lb plus roach(y). But, as I stated this was many years ago, what it is like nowadays I don't know.