Static or Moving

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
In fast paced water in winter do you think a static or moving bait is best for Chub and Barbel? So float fishing or legering?

I know the pool I fish pretty well by now so know what I think, the fish like a static bait presented in the slack water, but wondering what others think?

PS Can't really drag bottom to slow the bait down on the float as so fast and snaggy in the only pegs available, as much as I want to with the new Drennan Bobber floats I've ordered.

I can't really see the fish I fish for a) Sitting in the main flow b) Expending energy chasing bait around in the flow but I might be wrong?

I will set up a float rod next time I fish there but don't expect to be able to catch on it until summer.

mickthechippy

space cadet
Staff member
Site Supporter
fish along the crease of the main flow, its not so fast, use an avon float, cant say for berties but that is sound for chub, roach, dace etc,

davej

old hippy
Site Supporter
Had good success on Bristol Avon using a round leger as light as poss, 3 to 4ft hooklength with rod at 90 deg letting the bait waft about in current. Bites are usually fierce.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
It's funny, Christmas Eve, half drunk and I'm still thinking about fishing here.

I find 50g to be the right weight for feeders there, can use 40g but it will waft in the current and eventually drift all the way downstream, still do get bites like that, usually savage as you say. I like to keep it pinned in one place though due to snags.

And with the creases, this is the general target area when I say slack water, but they are more eddies than creases as the water swirls around here. Basically can't wait to be able to trot there with new rod and floats. (y) Will try it when cold but think due to this particular peg it will be a warm water tactic.

carphauler

Barbel Tickler
For me as a rule, a moving bait will pick up more fish, just got to find the shoal in the winter.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
For me as a rule, a moving bait will pick up more fish, just got to find the shoal in the winter.

The fish definitely shoal up in this little pool so that's half the battle. I've already been asked by @bluemack to come and fish here with me but if you don't live too far away you'd be welcome to come for a days fishing there too!

But this is how it probably looks at the moment (video taken earlier this year but it was that high last time I checked).

View attachment IMG_2086.m4v

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
It's funny, Christmas Eve, half drunk and I'm still thinking about fishing here.

I find 50g to be the right weight for feeders there, can use 40g but it will waft in the current and eventually drift all the way downstream, still do get bites like that, usually savage as you say. I like to keep it pinned in one place though due to snags.

And with the creases, this is the general target area when I say slack water, but they are more eddies than creases as the water swirls around here. Basically can't wait to be able to trot there with new rod and floats. (y) Will try it when cold but think due to this particular peg it will be a warm water tactic.
It’s Christmas Eve ? It’s Christmas Day Rodney ya plonker. 🤣🤣. Has your post been held up somewhere Zerkalo or have you typed it out last night before falling to sleep. I don’t know. The young uns today. 🙄

Last edited:

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
It’s Christmas Eve ? It’s Christmas Day Rodney ya plonker. 🤣🤣. As your post been held up somewhere Zerkalo or have you typed it out last night before falling to sleep. I don’t know. The young uns today. 🙄

Haha. On about the first post. I did crawl into bed shortly after typing it though. :LOL: Merry Christmas. (y)

trotter2

Loafer float bulk shot.
If it drops off in the summer an Avon float will surpise. Fish the crease not the main flow. Bait dropper for feeding.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
It drops off quite quickly even in Winter from what it's like in that video so I'm hoping it will be fishable as soon as the tackle shops are open for bait again, so Monday onwards. It's not impossible to float fish there, but conditions have to be right for the fish to be on the nearside crease. I hope a 3g Drennan Bobber Float will enable me to fish it a bit different on the float and search the swim a bit more as I've ordered a few of those.

It fished best on the float there when small fish were present, it was chock full of them for one session this year where I did 18lb 12oz in 4.5 hours.

18lb 12oz weir.jpg

But then the very next session on the float the small fish had gone and only big Chub were about, this was shortly before a shoal of Barbel arrived and seemed to make it there home for a while, hopefully they are still there, but 26lb 14oz on the float is one of my best catches from there.

26lb14oz.jpg

Northantslad

'Any indications?
Water clarity is what i base it on, then pace of water, which can i suppose influence the former to a point.

18 inches or more of clarity, then the float can be a better option.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Water clarity is what i base it on, then pace of water, which can i suppose influence the former to a point.

18 inches or more of clarity, then the float can be a better option.

Has to have a bit of colour to this pool for the fish to come within float range unfortunately, though what you say makes sense to me, when the water is clear the fish back off to the other side which is feeder range. :)