Statement from the Angling Trust on the national lockdown rules

Angling Trust

RSS Feed

Statement from the Angling Trust on the national lockdown rules​

UPDATE – January 5, 2021

Whilst the regulations have not yet been published we have been informed this evening by the Cabinet Office that the Government have taken the decision that fishing in England will not be permitted during this national lockdown period. Whilst this is disappointing news I would ask anglers, fisheries and clubs to respect these rules and the reason they have been put in place; to help save lives and support the NHS.

Individuals should not go fishing from midnight tonight (5th January) and clubs and fisheries should close their waters to anglers. We will be publishing more detailed guidance on specific areas like bailiffing and fishery maintenance once the Government regulations have been published.

Over the past few weeks we have been in communication with the Government at the highest possible level. We have presented a strong case on how fishing could continue safely during the third national lockdown. We have explained that fishing benefits physical health and mental wellbeing and that it is regularly the only form of activity individuals undertake. You can read our representations to Cabinet Ministers here.

My team and I have consistently presented the arguments ahead of the changing government guidelines, which have allowed fishing to remain permitted continuously since the first national lockdown was lifted in May. We have been successful when other sports have not as all anglers will know.

However, with 60,000 new infections announced today, the Government have taken the decision that leaving home for recreation or leisure, including all forms of recreational fishing, should be prohibited in England during this third national lockdown period.

I thank you for your support and for being a credit to our sport. As members, you can rest assured that the Angling Trust will continue to represent our sport at the highest level and will present proposals for the resumption of angling when it is safe and sensible to do so. We will come through this period of national crisis. We will fish again, but until then, please, stay safe.

Jamie Cook
CEO, Angling Trust

Wales​

Details of Covid restrictions and how they affect angling in Wales can be found here.

notneeded

The 1st pie winner 2019
Site Supporter
Dose that mean I cannot go fishing ? Just asking for a friend???😂😂😂

mike fox

'Just Me and the Fish'
Site Supporter

UPDATE – January 5, 2021

Whilst the regulations have not yet been published we have been informed this evening by the Cabinet Office that the Government have taken the decision that fishing in England will not be permitted during this national lockdown period. Whilst this is disappointing news I would ask anglers, fisheries and clubs to respect these rules and the reason they have been put in place; to help save lives and support the NHS.

Individuals should not go fishing from midnight tonight (5th January) and clubs and fisheries should close their waters to anglers. We will be publishing more detailed guidance on specific areas like bailiffing and fishery maintenance once the Government regulations have been published.

Over the past few weeks we have been in communication with the Government at the highest possible level. We have presented a strong case on how fishing could continue safely during the third national lockdown. We have explained that fishing benefits physical health and mental wellbeing and that it is regularly the only form of activity individuals undertake. You can read our representations to Cabinet Ministers here.

My team and I have consistently presented the arguments ahead of the changing government guidelines, which have allowed fishing to remain permitted continuously since the first national lockdown was lifted in May. We have been successful when other sports have not as all anglers will know.

However, with 60,000 new infections announced today, the Government have taken the decision that leaving home for recreation or leisure, including all forms of recreational fishing, should be prohibited in England during this third national lockdown period.

I thank you for your support and for being a credit to our sport. As members, you can rest assured that the Angling Trust will continue to represent our sport at the highest level and will present proposals for the resumption of angling when it is safe and sensible to do so. We will come through this period of national crisis. We will fish again, but until then, please, stay safe.

Jamie Cook
CEO, Angling Trust

Wales​

Details of Covid restrictions and how they affect angling in Wales can be found here.
Congratulations on the new web site by the way. Much better for anglers of all ages to understand and browse through. Still a lot of marketing work to be done in my opinion....if you don't mind me saying. ;)

Jonathan Sutcliffe-Bland

Site Supporter

UPDATE – January 5, 2021

Jamie Cook
CEO, Angling Trust

Wales​

Thanks for trying.

dry nets

apprentice stormtrooper
Site Supporter
They better get down the ribble, it was rammed at 4pm this afternoon

Maesknoll

Chris
Staff member
Site Supporter
It says recreational fishing, some of the matches I’ve fished haven’t been very recreational....... 😀

And more seriously, whilst I’m not going to do it, could you say you were fishing for food if sea fishing or trout fishing? That would be safer than the supermarket.

turnpike

I'm all for a full lockdown but I don't understand why some clearly more risky things are allowed while others arguably less so are not. I was genuinely asking the question in the hope someone would rationalise it for me. I thought maybe I'd misread something.

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
Am I missing something? You can't go fishing as an individual but you can still jog down the street with a mate?
I think there's quite a bit that needs fine tuning among the new rules, but it is what it is for the time being.

gingert76

Facts, Stats & Evidence!
Site Supporter
honestly the replies on FB and on AT page beggar belief! there is a blanket ban on fishing, end of! i am 150yds from the sea and can go fishing in 3 mins but already resigned myself to no fishing in Tier 5, god there are people on there even asking about license rebates as that is obviously the top concern at this time!

really do not get all this comparison stuff, fishing is banned end of, other things are allowed - simple as that - why do a group of people want every decision/action explained in detail? if something is banned you cant do it, if something is allowed you can do it - 100% clear to me

AdeB

Site Supporter
honestly the replies on FB and on AT page beggar belief! there is a blanket ban on fishing, end of! i am 150yds from the sea and can go fishing in 3 mins but already resigned myself to no fishing in Tier 5, god there are people on there even asking about license rebates as that is obviously the top concern at this time!

really do not get all this comparison stuff, fishing is banned end of, other things are allowed - simple as that - why do a group of people want every decision/action explained in detail? if something is banned you cant do it, if something is allowed you can do it - 100% clear to me
There are some right thick tw*ts on FB spouting "the AT can't tell me wot to do" or " F*** em, I'm going fishing!" without being bright enough to know it's the government making the rules not the AT!

gingert76

Facts, Stats & Evidence!
Site Supporter
these will be the same people saying AT cannot make rules blah blah blah when its the government making the correct choice at last! until punishments are enforced for breaking the rules though certain anglers will still carry on being the selfish asses they are and trying to justify their actions in their tiny tiny brains!

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
It beggars belief how some of them manage to get dressed by themselves on a morning