Starting again after 18 year break..

Jimpanzee

Site Supporter
Hi all,
Firstly hello, I stumbled upon this forum last night and seen some great posts/tips already and I thought I’d post my own thread to hopefully get a bit of advice.

As the title suggests I’m looking to get back into angling again after an 18 year break. I fished throughout my teens with my Dad and Grandad and it was always something I loved, but as I got older it became less and less frequent as my time was taken up with other activities such as football, cricket, beer etc...

Angling was always something that I knew I would get back into at some point and the past year or so I’ve really felt the urge to get back into it. The problem is I’m really starting completely from scratch which is exciting and a bit daunting too.

I plan to ease into it with some lake fishing and when feeling a bit more confident I will head onto the River Thames. I’m after a feeder rod that will be capable of fishing both and can handle silver fish, chub, perch and the odd carp..(but not something I will be targeting)

I’ve identified a number of rods and I’m interested in hearing your views/advice. Any help offered would be greatly appreciated

Daiwa D carp feeder rod - is a sturdier rod needed for river fishing? will this be too stiff to detect smaller fish?

Daiwa Ninja feeder rod - very good online reviews

Shakespeare Sigma Surpa Feeder rod - seems a good Entry price rod?

Shimano Foremaster BX commercial feeder rod

Thanks for reading and apologies for the lengthy post.

trotter2

No matter which direction you take you will find yourself fine tuning your equipment as you progress.
A standard Avon 1 1/4lb test would be a good starting block.

david white

Site Supporter
Hi and welcome to the mad house,

hopefully you’ll have any previous enthusiasm well and truly rekindled and if you get through the next few months weather wise just think what next spring and summer could hold

if you are looking to completely kit yourself out Cadence tackle ( an on line only outlet ) have an excellent series of YouTube videos ( Cadence TV ) which offers great advice across the spectrum of course Angling ( there are many other brands that do the same of course )
they also have two starter rod and reel combo ( float and feeder ) which are well worth a look as they needn’t be put to one side once you decide which tactics and species you wish to follow

I’ll try and identify the actual video in which the combo float outfit is in use ( I know it was filmed at Elvington fishery near York and feature James Robbins and Paul Kozyra

Jimpanzee

Site Supporter
Thanks for the welcome all.
Thanks for the suggestions David & Trotter.

I will definitely look at investing into a float rod but with winter coming I thought a feeder rod would be a good place to start, both of your suggestions would cover this area.

david white

Site Supporter
Hi sorry for a bit of a delay

There’s a Cadence video ‘ value combo v the pole ‘ ( I think that’s its title) pretty sure there’s two very short videos on the combos ( both decent rods coupled with CS 5 reels which I have used and are perfectly adequate )

Keep your eye on their Facebook page they do occasional discounted offers ( and Black Friday is around the corner ?? maybe )

However ( and it’s a big however ) there’s a lot of mileage in dealing with a decent tackle shop ( face to face ) but if you’re going down the mail order route I can recommend the Cadence products I have purchased

Neil ofthe nene

Site Supporter
Can't help with choosing tackle, I just go with the cheapest option being the forum Scrooge. But welcome to the forum.

Jimpanzee

Site Supporter
Little update for you - I popped into my local tackle shop (thanks David) who advised that the commercials I plan to start fishing on are predominately best fished with a Waggler setup.
Slight change of plan I’ve ended up with a Preston Tyson 13ft match rod and a Daiwa Crossfire 3000 reel. It’s set me back £72 notes which seemed decent value. Hopefully I can get out in the next week or 2, work permitting.

I do have my eye on the Cadence feeder rod combo, but will wait to see what offers come up on Black Friday.

Thanks everyone for their help.

TrickyD

Site Supporter
Welcome to the site. You say you're coming back after 18 years, did you have your own tackle back then, or share/borrow? Reason I ask, is that some of the rods and reels from back then may be acceptable to use now, some even gain cult status and could be worth selling, and talking of selling, you may pick up someone's off casts they are selling on the classified section on here, I have had a few bargains.

Jimpanzee

Site Supporter
Thanks Tricky - over the years I gave a lot of my kit to my Grandad to use as spares. The majority of my kit was very cheap tbh. As a teenage I would usually go for the cheapest stuff I could find..