Starter whip suggestions

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Has anyone got any suggestions for a decent starter whip of probably 5 metres for around the £40/50 mark?

Seen a few good catch reports on here recently with people bagging up on silvers with whips and it looks like a nice way of fishing so thinking about giving it a go, any excuse for a new bit of tackle really. Only done a little bit of whip fishing before with the real cheap £20 tops ones so I know next to nothing about them in terms of what length, strength, style or whether to go elasticated or not so would welcome any suggestions and advice.

Thanks in advance!

DFL

Site Supporter
Slightly over budget but I really like these whips.

frankg

Site Supporter
Slightly over budget but I really like these whips.

As DFL said...Preston Absolute....nice whips

Aston_fisher

Site Supporter
I've just bought a Preston Absolute 4m, several people recommended them. Haven't used it yet, but feels nice and is well made. Hope to christen it this weekend!

IanG1

Site Supporter
I picked up an old Daiwa Harrier system whip as it was what I had 20 years ago. They are telescopic to 4m the have sections for 5,6 to 7 metres so really handy. They have a nice action and a good quality carbon flick tip. If your lucky you may get one to close to your budget but they sometimes make strong money on eBay as they are that good. They are also really light at 200g at 6m so easy usable all day long.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Will have a look see if there’s any of the Preston’s about under £60 then I’d be tempted. Best looking one I’ve found in my price range was a Daiwa speed something or other.

Aston_fisher

Site Supporter
Will have a look see if there’s any of the Preston’s about under £60 then I’d be tempted. Best looking one I’ve found in my price range was a Daiwa speed something or other.
Yeah, I think Daiwa do a couple within your budget, that's what I intended getting first, but my local had the Preston in store and I liked it.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Looked into the Prestons and looks like you can get the 4m for about £50 and the 4.5m for less than £60 so either of them could work if I do decide to get one, will have to see if I can find a place to have a waggle of them.

Aston_fisher

Site Supporter
I think they're about the limit of what you can find, any more than about £50-£60 and you suddenly jump into 'system whips' like the Acolyte etc that generally seem to cost around £250, bit rich for my blood at this point in time.

Ken the Pacman

Site Supporter
Leeda Concept GTx Competition tele whip,superb whips for the price with proper flick tips and you should find a 5m one for around £30