Stan At Elvington

Status
Not open for further replies.

david platt

Fusilier
Hi All,
went for a run yesterday and, finished up having a look round
the Lake at Elvington just to see whats what and what I need to
bring on the fish in, whilst walking round the house side of the lake we met Stan ( the owner ) he told us everything about the fishing and the history of the lake,and just about everything there is to know
about the Area, While we were talking, the RED ARROWS came over doing a display and, Stan said he had got them over because we were coming
said it cost him 75,000 ( it was for the Air Museum just up the road )
but he nearly had us convinced he!d done it for us.
after a couple of hours it was time to set off home, it was a laugh
a minute talking with Stan,thank you Stan & family for making us so
welcome
david & barbaraicon_smile_big.gificon_smile_big.gif

lanc

Geoff P

The MOGerator
Staff member
Site Supporter
Hello stranger,
long time no see, look forward to seeing you at Elvington. whose round was it, yours or larrys.

See ya

Geoff

RSSG member - are you?
Clean Banks Campaign member

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Hi David,

It was a good job you didn't tell him that you were from the wrong side of the Pennines - he'd have shot you icon_smile_big.gif lol. The Red Arrows were there patrolling Yorkshire Air Space.

Seriously though, Stan is a gem - one of the old sort who enjoys everyones company and will help out where-ever and when-ever he can.

He didn't tell you about the best baits did he 'cause he promised us he wouldn't tell anyone else icon_smile_wink.gif

See you soon, Dave

Dai Fish

Site Supporter
Hi David, he sounds like a very nice person, I hope you are going to pass on some of the tips he gave you, its a bit far for me to go for a look around.

Dai Fish

Larry

Lazarus
It"THINK" was your's Geoff i got the last round in then you decided it was time to go when it was your turn. LOL WHO'S BOTHERED whose round it was anyway as long as we enjoyed ourselves & we did what's a round or 2 amongst friend's

Cheer's Larry

david platt

Fusilier
Hi Guys,
SHHH but whilst I was on Peg Er Er Er Dam Ive forgot (LOL) but the
bloke landed a tench the size of a dolphin,and he said if you use
Blast time to go lads need my sleep up early tomorrow to get some of that special bait ROFLMAOicon_smile_tongue.gificon_smile_tongue.gif
david
Hi Geoff
nice to hear from you but, like larry said it was your turn, do you not remember ripping the arm out of your jacket, when you trapped it in the door trying to get out LOL ?
david
LOOK FORWARD TO SEEING YOU ALL AT ELVINGTON [/

lanc

david platt

Fusilier
Hi Lads
to be serious,
all the bait I saw being used was Maggots,Meat, worm, sounds daft
but, I did not take a lot of notice, a match was taking place on the other half of the lake but every time I got near a participent he
covered up his bait & groundbait so Sorry Dai I car!nt be of much use to you,But what I can say from what stan said, " It will be a cracking fishin"
david icon_smile_big.gificon_smile_big.gif

lanc

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Hi David,

Just about any bait works well there.

Maggots will attract a lot of the silver fish plus the odd small carp and large tench. The bream take a liking to them as well.
Worm will catch just about anything,
Bread for surface feeding carp in the early morning or late evening especially under the trees or in the lillies.
Meat will pickup the carp on the pole line.
Boilies for the larger fish.
Sweetcorn works occasionally.

Methods:
Pick up the bars in the lake for the carp during the day, they then move in towards the margins on the evening and virtually get out of the water on a night.
Bream and tench can be picked from the surface towards 30yds out so perhaps a method wagler would work although a loaded waggler with a good 'pult definatly does.
Pole line about 8m's fished 18inch to 2ft deep over a steady stream of freebies will initially pick up the silvers followed by the Tench and the passing Carp. Use heavy gear though as once hooked they go for the middle.

The catfish,, well that I can't tell but we know something that you don't know, doo dah, doo dahh icon_smile_tongue.gif

Dave

david platt

Fusilier
Hi Dave Thanks for that, What don you call heavy gear
I use 12lb Main line to 4lb to a 12s hook for carp
is that Heavy enough
david

lanc

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Hi David,

Usually if I'm on the pole at Elvington I use 6lb 'double strength' line as a hooklength to a 14 or 16 elastic. The first thing the big 'uns try to do is dive for the middle, when this happens lay the pole top sections in the water and guide the fish towards the bank turning them as they run.
Normally works well rather than trying to stop them by brute force which could result in a broken section

Float rod, you can go a bit lighter if need be, and leger rod or carp rods normally I use 12lb line through to a braided hooklength (Snakebite 15lb)

It doesn't seem to affect the fish either,

Dave

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
I got a phone call from Stan yesterday about the raffle tickets. He had sold most of the ones that I took to him only last Sunday - 500 of them !! and wanted some more.
It looks like it is now compulsory to buy a book of raffle tickets as well as a day ticket to fish Elvington icon_smile.gif
Needless to say another 500 are on their way to him.

If anyone wants to buy some please Click Here for an order form and we'll get them off to you asap

Cheers, Dave

( 'The Northern Fish-in' - are you supporting it? )

Status
Not open for further replies.