Stained glass. Errm

Phillip MGBGT

Site Supporter
I'm looking for a bit of advice if any one on here can help me please.

In our threshold door we had a stained glass picture of a king fisher in the window, it was really nice and colourfull but over the years it has faded so I want to repaint it as they aren't real stained glass
now a days just lead stuck on and then painted inside the lead to give the look of stained glass.

Can anyone tell me what paint to use to re-paint it as all I can find is either wash off in warm water or has to be baked in the oven, neither much use to me. It is of course exposed to the weather as it is painted on the outside.

Has any one had a similar experience so they can give me some help with it please.

Sportsman

Site Supporter
Hello mate
I have used this for a similar project to yours. It works fine, but it is a good idea to cover it with a coat of clear when it's finished and make sure it is completely dry before getting water on it.
The problem is, it's in France, so you may have to use Google translate.
If you want to order some I will send you my address and have it delivered here and then post it over to you.
Cheers
Dave

feldri

Site Supporter
Hi Phil, did a lot of window leading 20 years ago. You can buy coloured self adhesive films for window decs. Just trace the shape, cut out, peel off the backing and stick in place. I've done a few on my windows and they look the mutts knutts. The colouring is usually done on the inside of the double glazing panel so as not to be at the mercy of the elements but can also be done on the outside if done correctly. Just put a thin coat of varnish around the edges where it joins the lead.
Here is one supplier.