St Patrick's Armagh (C of I)

Neil ofthe nene

Doing things differently.
Site Supporter
I cannot let this moment pass without mentioning the programme currently on BBC 1. A Service of Reflection and Hope from St Patrick's.

My great grandfather was Archbishop of Armagh and this was his cathedral whilst in office. There is a stained glass window to his memory and one he had installed in memory of his son who acted as his secretary until his early death.

It was a very moving moment when I visited and saw the window for myself. Although aware of its existance I didn't realise how large it was.

And a note on the man himself. I am given to understand that he was very broad minded and encouraged lay members to take more responsibility for running the church. The biggest indication of his views is that while a bishop in the Church of Ireland he had a cook who was Roman Catholic. He will forever be admired by me for that.

He has his own Wikipedia entry.

The Saint

Paul
Site Supporter
Not a church goer myself but i must admit there's something about stained glass windows, those are beautiful Neil.

The Saint

Paul
Site Supporter
Does this now mean you want to be:
Neil O'Nene

Whenever we travel we always go to religious buildings as the architecture and design never fails to impress.
It's funny that Lee because as i just said i'm not religious but do enjoy looking at old churches, always amazes and puzzles me as to how they managed to build them without modern day machinery etc, the ornate workings on some of the outsides are amazing like the gargoyles on York Minster for example.

Lee Richards

Site Supporter
Been to York a few times Paul and really like the place.
Always later in the year though outside of the tourist season and school holidays.

davylad

Site Supporter
We've got a day trip to York booked in a couple of weeks, going by train so we can have a few refreshments. York minster is a grand old building, strangely enough, although I only live a stones throw away I've never been inside.

That's a wonderful story Neil, your Great Grandfather would have had some stories to tell I bet.

davylad

Site Supporter
I've been there a couple of times lee, very good too. I gave a couple of family members a tour of NE Yorkshire when they came from down under, which included York, and a nice walk along the walls of the old castle.

Pompous git

Site Supporter
When I sold my first house it was to a recently retired bloke who worked for the COE, based in Canterbury he was a stained glass window
restorer. Unusual job which I imagine was quietly satisfying.