Spyware Remover

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeff

Here's a nice little program for removing all those nasty little Gremlins that lurk about inside your computer. It finds finds a few things that AdAware does'nt, so it might be useful.
http://spybot.safer-networking.de/

Tight Lines

Last edited:

Lid

Be careful with this.

The software looks well written and is extremely comprehensive, but it doesn't give you any obvious guidance as you run it.

I don't have time to read and absorb long instruction documents (more fool me!) and instead rely on software that is is hopefully intuitive and gives relevant information as you go.

I downloaded this anti spyware program and ran it. It identified about 300 questionable items, but only about 30 were actually deemed baddies and pre-selected for removal. There is a warning stating you may not be able to use certain software if you remove the spyware/adware associated with it, but you need to go through all your license agreements to understand the impact of this.

I decided to remove the highlighted baddies and on restart found that a number freeware programs I run, like Precision Date and Precision Time no longer worked. I was able to recover them from the spybot.safer options, but I am still left with an error message at start up from an application I cannot identify. I also don't know if any other programs have been knackered, e.g realone games. I also found that some stuff I decided to recover seemed to disappear, in that my next spy scan didn't seem to detect it?

When I'm back home I'll post my new startup error message here, in the hope that some of you home PC experts will recognise what program is trying to do something unsuccessfully.

Lid [:)]

Last edited by a moderator:

Jeff

Hi Lid,
I am sorry to hear that you had problems with Spybot, I have been using it for some time now and it's been fine.
I downloaded the two programs you had trouble with and tried them. They both contain GAIN trickler spyware, that is why Spybot highlighted them for removal and once you remove the spyware the programs don't work. They will only work if the spyware is in them. You can sometimes find Dummy files to make these programs work with out the spyware. You have to be very careful when using programs that allow you to remove entries from your Registry because it can cause problems.

Tight Lines

Last edited:

Lid

LOL Norm. That's actually a small feather put under our IntelPlay USB microscope and then d******ed by my daughter. [:D]

Lid [:)]

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.