Spurs, Oh Dear

Peter

'Mugger'
Staff member
Site Supporter
Well as a Chelsea fan I have to say Thanks for the 3 points.

That must have been painful for Spurs Fans to watch.
A thought did cross my mind after the match that Pep might just put out City's Academy side in the League Cup Final and unluckily lose on penalties thus forcing Levy to hand Jose a 5 year extension on his contract for bringing back some silverware. 🤣

Meanwhile we wait to see which Spurs players career he decides to destroy next after Alli and Bale ................Son?

Neil ofthe nene

Doing things differently.
Site Supporter
Cannot do anything but agree with you @Peter. It is painful to the point that I nearly didn't bother staying up to watch last night. Getting so predictable - defend and hope for a goal on the break. Might work occasionally but it is not a league winning tactic. I feel sorry for Vinicius, you cannot score without service from the midfield. He is no Harry Kane but I think could do well with decent service.

I don't see Kane (and others) staying long with this style of play. I would much rather have stuck with Pochettino and got through the bad spell and then see him develop as a manager. At least we tried to play football under him.

It was a telling point last night that Lamella, a player I don't particularly like, was the best Spurs player and he only came on as sub.

Northantslad

'Any indications?
I still maintain that Kane is the issue, not in anyway his fault of course, but for years now it has been a must play every minute, every game approach. Subsequently there has been little thought to strengthening in that area or having alternative options mixed in. So when his injuries come, and more regularly lately (made worse by the over use perhaps?) Spurs don't perform, simple and clear as day. There is also then the factor that when players such as Moora were called in, done well then dropped again when Kane is fit, their motivation wanes somewhat. What chances of attracting another quality striker in the Kane type player, when they know they will be playing second fiddle when he is fit?

Tinca Mad

Site Supporter
A very good point @Northantslad
It was painful to watch the game and listen to Jose's after match garbage!
To Dare is To Do I'm afraid is dead in the water at present.
Mourinho won't change the way he sets his teams up so it's down to the fans complaining about him and Levy to pull the trigger. He probably won't get sacked till the summer.
I genuinely can't see us qualifying for the CL this year & don't want us to if that's the tripe we have to watch.

david white

Site Supporter
Until THFC plc become a football team again playing the style of football the fans recognise and NOT being the by product of a business venture ( Levy et al ) I’m afraid what you see is what you get
Saving grace is true fans are not being subjected to having to pay to watch such utter drivel on the other hand the possible loss of revenue from fans voting with their feet and not attending matches won’t be showing on the ‘ company ‘ income audits ringing alarm bells in the accounts department !!

IF ( and it’s a big IF on current form ) we were to beat City and land some silverware ( even though it’s the ‘ Micky mouse cup ! ) who ( as a Tottenham supporter ) would applaud and raise a glass to Mourinho ( not me )
I’d prefer to watch the performances of old with players being allowed to express themselves as individuals in a unit, to entertain by giving 100% week in week out

Trent_Fisher

Site Supporter
I turned last nights game off before half time. Painful to watch at the moment. It’s very sad because I used to enjoy watching Spurs under Poch and Redknapp.

As has been alluded to already they have a lack of depth up top, nobody of quality is going to want to come in and play second fiddle to Kane.

Son is an outstanding player but isn’t getting any service in this team when Kane doesn’t play. Bergwijn is frustrating to watch, strong, powerful and good at dribbling but can’t pick a pass or get his head up.

Ndombele and Lo Celso are the only players that offer any creativity in the middle and the latter can’t stay fit long enough to get a run of games.

DFL

Site Supporter
Well as a Chelsea fan I have to say Thanks for the 3 points.

That must have been painful for Spurs Fans to watch.
A thought did cross my mind after the match that Pep might just put out City's Academy side in the League Cup Final and unluckily lose on penalties thus forcing Levy to hand Jose a 5 year extension on his contract for bringing back some silverware. 🤣

Meanwhile we wait to see which Spurs players career he decides to destroy next after Alli and Bale ................Son?
As along time fellow superbloo like yourself I found our team only marginally less painful to watch last night. You won't get many better opportunities to rattle in a few goals during that totally one sided first half but once again we proved to be toothless in front of goal. I think we only had one or two threatening moments , penalty aside in the entire match, I did rather pessimisticly think they'd get an undeserved draw. Get Mount, CHO, Werner and co. amongst the goals again and we will be a match for anyone else in the PL.

Today some scurrilous rumours of Eden returning! 🤔

Peter

'Mugger'
Staff member
Site Supporter
As along time fellow superbloo like yourself I found our team only marginally less painful to watch last night. You won't get many better opportunities to rattle in a few goals during that totally one sided first half but once again we proved to be toothless in front of goal. I think we only had one or two threatening moments , penalty aside in the entire match, I did rather pessimisticly think they'd get an undeserved draw. Get Mount, CHO, Werner and co. amongst the goals again and we will be a match for anyone else in the PL.

Today some scurrilous rumours of Eden returning! 🤔
Not disagreeing with that, but only 3 matches into a changed structure. Out of respect to Spurs fans this isn't the thread to discuss Chelsea, but would be happy to continue on a separate thread should you want to post one. :upthumb:

DFL

Site Supporter
Not disagreeing with that, but only 3 matches into a changed structure. Out of respect to Spurs fans this isn't the thread to discuss Chelsea, but would be happy to continue on a separate thread should you want to post one. :upthumb:
Think it maybe just you and me!

Northantslad

'Any indications?
There's the Bale factor too, that may have upset the apple cart. First day back in the place and he's off for a game of golf with Daniel, not sure if all players at that club or at many clubs have that sort of relationship with the top person, not sure as a manager i would want it either. Just adds to the boys club view a bit. I would have said you get fit on the training ground first and bond with your team mates, then perhaps we all go for a game of golf at some point.

Northantslad

'Any indications?
In a largely player praising mood in his interview yesterday.
Trouble is, you can do that as many times as you like, but if any criticism and openly has taken place before hand, it will be that an individual is still thinking about and basing their effort level on.

Ponies and horse races anyone?............

Tinca Mad

Site Supporter
Jose's post match comments are getting cringe worthy.
I wonder does Levy realise the majority of Spurs fans don't want him as our manager any more.

Tinca Mad

Site Supporter
Correct @Neil ofthe nene you never backed him and you were right.
I tried to give him a chance but it looks like he's losing the players confidence and the football is rubbish.
I wouldn't care if we didn't win another game as long as he's gone.
I get the impression he is under pressure and Levy has had a chat.

Neil ofthe nene

Doing things differently.
Site Supporter
I can't help thinking that if Spurs had stuck with Poch and supported him with funds he would have got through the rough patch and be set for a long stay. I am reminded of Sir Alex and Man U.

Yorkieboy70

Site Supporter
Is he in charge of the team though, is he just playing by Levy's rules. I think a lot of managers now (my team included, Man u) dont get much of a say on which players are brought in. Unless it goes really wrong and bigger teams are getting into Eurpean competitions then they will be seen to be doing an ok job.

Simon Walsh

Site Supporter
When SAF retired I wished we got Jose. When did come in, at first things looked on the up. As soon as the board didn’t back him, things went down hill quickly. By the time he was sacked in December most Reds were sick to the back teeth of him.
He seems to have not learned the lessons and is now repeating at Spurs.
Great manager in his younger days and proved it at various clubs. But his methods with modern day players simply don’t work. Think it’s only a matter of time before Spurs show him the door

Peter

'Mugger'
Staff member
Site Supporter
As a Chelsea fan, I've always thought that it's not in Jose's make up to take a long term view.
It's more a case of arrive at a club and get the players to buy into his plan, those that don't are jettisoned or marginalised.
It can be effective at first if results go his way but can be highly toxic if it doesn't.
The longer he's been in management, the shorter those periods of success have become but the toxic effect on clubs hasn't.