Spurs, Oh Dear

davylad

What a plonker Pepe, I mean if you're going to do that make sure you get a good contact. It might make it hard for Leeds though, as I reckon they would have won comfortably against 11, Arsenal will probably park the bus now if they're good enough to.

Northantslad

'Any indications?
Anyone know what Jose was trying to achieve by saying that Spurs (his team) are a pony in a horse race?
Only thing i could think of was it was some sort of reverse motivator or is it a foundation stone for requesting some money for the January sales, although thoroughbreds are difficult to come by at that time of year.

Tinca Mad

Site Supporter
Anyone know what Jose was trying to achieve by saying that Spurs (his team) are a pony in a horse race?
Only thing i could think of was it was some sort of reverse motivator or is it a foundation stone for requesting some money for the January sales, although thoroughbreds are difficult to come by at that time of year.
Just Jose keeping himself in the news & trying to take the pressure off Spurs and put it onto others e.g Chelsea, Man City, Liverpool & Utd

smiffy

Site Supporter
Anyone else not happy watching it but happy to be, currently, top? We beat the gooners 2-0 but I spent the entire second half complaining??.
Do you think a full house at the new stadium would be happy to watch that sort of football at home? Hmmmmm
Not pretty but effective I guess.

PeteC

Anyone else not happy watching it but happy to be, currently, top? We beat the gooners 2-0 but I spent the entire second half complaining??.
Do you think a full house at the new stadium would be happy to watch that sort of football at home? Hmmmmm
Not pretty but effective I guess.

It's funny you know, but we've played the fancy attacking open play with Poch (like Leeds under Bielsa) and really got nowhere in particular (like Leeds are doing under Bielsa ...lol).... We were a team of 'nearly made its' ..and always stumbled at the last hurdle. Was that down to the virtually fixed style of play or Poch's nativity when it came to tactics and substitutions I dont know, but you can't really argue with the results at the moment, so I would guess I would say, in answer to your question, that I have no blooming idea..????

Whatever happens, football supporters are a fickle bunch Spurs as much as any other team (apart from the gooners and AF TV which is a great comedy show...!), moan when we lose, unhappy with the performance when we win...but we are winning and are top of the table for another week, so something must be going right.....suppose you can't have everything eh....

Northantslad

'Any indications?
Not so sure the Spurs football has been that dull has it?
(personally i think Leeds will do well against an expectation that they would be straight back down being in the newly promoted category)
Right about fickleness of course, it's also in pundits too. Look at your North London rivals, they get Guardiola's 'protege' in, wins a couple of games, the strikers are scoring and all of a sudden, yes he's the next great thing. Now 15th and the goals are drying up and its crisis time, fine lines.

Northantslad

'Any indications?
Didn't see this coming, if Leicester go onto to take this one, then i think they have just reminded everyone not forget about them.

The Bale thing hasn't clicked yet, wondering if things gone the other way and his arrival has just altered the dynamic some what?

H T B

Site Supporter
Very pleased with the way we nullified Son and Kane. Their recent record against us suggested that if we didn't we'd pay for it.

We still have our best two defenders to come back from injury [Ricardo and Soyuncu ].
Future is looking good :)

H T B

Site Supporter
For the last 15 minutes of the game, it was like playing against the old Wimbledon with all the long balls being played by Spurs

Tinca Mad

Site Supporter
Well it's always been a rollercoaster supporting Spurs but I'm nearly lost for words after that "performance" against Brighton!
We were shockingly poor, no endeavour, lacklustre & played without a plan.
We've lost Kane before to injury under Poch & still went on to win games but I'm afraid the honeymoon is over for Mourinho now! His after match jibberish is getting annoying to say the least.
If he can turn things around, I'll take my hat off to him but I'm very sceptical he can.
His team selection & tactics v Liverpool were rubbish.
The over reliance on Kane has to be addressed. Sherwood gave Kane his chance & his after match comments were very telling.
Apart from Kane & Son, has Mourinho improved the other forward playing players at Spurs?
Would the Spurs fans tolerate a performance like that against Brighton if they were present at the game?
From my perspective, Mourinho has got to let the players express themselves again as the go is knocked out of this group now.
If he doesn't, he's going to come in for heavy criticism.
Bale didn't look free in himself & seemed to look like he was carrying an injury. Carlos Vinicius came on & gave his best.
He's a good player and with encouragement he can improve but would Troy Parrot not be better than him?
I would say he is but where is he? Out on loan at Millwall.
The reality of Mourinho is hitting home again and I really hope this is not our lot now for the rest of the season!
Otherwise I'd like to see the back of Jose and see Eddie Howe get the job or somebody like him as that was not Football against Brighton!

TimFB

Bale is a shadow of his former self. The only role I can see for him is a Molby/cunning old pro type role in midfield, where he doesn’t need to do any running. Expectations were too high and it was unreasonable to expect Kane and Son to remain on fire for the rest of the season and keep digging us out of a hole.

I watched the 1987 Cup Final replayed on ITV the other night ...same problem with that side as this one...over reliance on a couple of world class players and a great keeper but a defence prone to calamities/self destruction given half the chance. Come to think of it, that is true of just about every Spurs side in the past 50 years or so I have supported them 😤

PeteC

Sorry first attempt went a bit awry and I couldn't edit or delete ...so here goes again...!

First Spurs match I ever saw was at the tender age of 10...November 1966....lost at home to West Ham 3-4 Greaves even missed a penalty ....and it's been a rollercoaster ever since...!

I said, sometime ago that I thought they have all been playing as though they were wearing straitjackets, all afraid to do anything other than that they were told to do by J.M. There's no team cohesion...watch City or Liverpool, they do everything as a unit whereas Spurs just leave gaps, especially in midfield. I still feel that Dele has something to offer but for some reason is totally out of favour...could have done with him against Brighton as there was absolutely no creativity.

I've no idea where they are going now, but at least you now can go into a game not expecting a result ....if they get one it's a plus, but it makes the disappointment easier to deal with when they are pants...

Tinca Mad

Site Supporter
Sorry first attempt went a bit awry and I couldn't edit or delete ...so here goes again...!

First Spurs match I ever saw was at the tender age of 10...November 1966....lost at home to West Ham 3-4 Greaves even missed a penalty ....and it's been a rollercoaster ever since...!

I said, sometime ago that I thought they have all been playing as though they were wearing straitjackets, all afraid to do anything other than that they were told to do by J.M. There's no team cohesion...watch City or Liverpool, they do everything as a unit whereas Spurs just leave gaps, especially in midfield. I still feel that Dele has something to offer but for some reason is totally out of favour...could have done with him against Brighton as there was absolutely no creativity.

I've no idea where they are going now, but at least you now can go into a game not expecting a result ....if they get one it's a plus, but it makes the disappointment easier to deal with when they are pants...
Agree with everything you said Pete.
I watch the Spurs with a heavy heart now. Oh to have the Harry Redknapp, Sherwood & Pochettino days back!
After watching the Chelsea v Burnley highlights, we could get stuffed by Chelski in the next game.
We can only wish for the fluidity of Villa, Leeds, Leicester in attack..............

PeteC

Trouble is Tinca, their current style of play...if you can call it that....has just sucked all of the enjoyment and anticipation out of their games....there is nothing to look forward to , just the faint hope that we might salvage a point here and there. I'm not so sure that I'd like Sherwood back, but I do wish Poch hadn't gone...even if we lost games at least we had some sort of style then.
Over the years we've had some quality players and teams but have never shown our full potential....I was watching a YouTube interview with stevie perryman, glen hoddle and ossie...... hoddle was talking about why Burkenshaw left and basically it was due to interference by scholar, who thought he knew football better than the manager....think that's been the story at Spurs for a number of years. Levy and Lewis might have made the facilities the best in the league...just wish they'd spent that much time thinking about and helping the manager to develop the team instead of developing their investments...!

Northantslad

'Any indications?
Agree on that fear factor @PeteC

Saw it at Utd, and was so obvious. Smalling at the time in one particular game, Palace i think it was 0-0 er...

Would receive the ball on the edge of the box from the keeper, time after time, opposition had retreated to their half way line, yet instead of running with the ball, then drawing out an opposition player and laying it off, would look to give it wide and then sit almost immediately after receiving the ball without travelling first.

It's a rigidness that takes away any self thought, dynamism or speculative football.

Clear this was on instruction to not commit the space. Plus the endless knocking it back inside from full backs, which in fairness to Jose, may be something he specifically advocates, but is another fashion, like playing out from the back, the game could do without.

Tinca Mad

Site Supporter
The Special One has a lot of heat on him now and there is no love for him in the Press now either.
I've a mate who gave up watching Utd under Jose.
He has a big game against Chelsea and I fever we'll be well beaten.
Alonso loves scoring against us and Kovačić & Kante could nullify us in the centre of the park!