Spur of the moment session.

DFL

Site Supporter
The couple of weeks between the start of the close season and the opening of the syndicate lake I fish leaves me in a bit of limbo, it’s too early to start chucking lures for bass down on the beach but waking up to clear blue skies and the promise of temperatures in double figures I needed to scratch an itch.

So, with a tin of sweetcorn and a whip I visited my local commie, Lavender Farm, a venue I haven’t fished for a few years. The weather was glorious and the lake was looking a picture.

A6EF3C73-72C9-4C3E-8C4D-F0C54157E980.jpeg

I set up my new 5M Acolyte telescopic whip with a 4lb mainline going down to a 3lb hooklength using a 16 hook.

5BB2BB6D-B368-4DAF-9FD3-730CBBA41344.jpeg

A quiet start with nothing happening in the first 40 minutes. There were two guys fishing to my right not catching. Feeding a few bits of corn every few minutes I started to get pestered by tiny rudd, better than a blank I’m thinking. After the umpteenth rudd I struck into something solid, a feisty carp gave my whip a testing workout and was finally landed after ten minutes, weighing in at seven and a bit pounds. I’m not a carp angler and do my best to avoid them but on a whip with light tackle the sport is good fun.

261F833D-05A4-401A-A8CA-3BF4876522B3.jpeg

In the final ninety minutes I lost two and landed another two carp slightly smaller. The guys to my left had carp rods out without a touch, must be frustrating to see somebody catch them on a whip. 😊

Peter

'Mugger'
Staff member
Site Supporter
Nice report John, made me quite nostalgic. I cant have fished at Lavender for for at least 10 years, and back then more often than not it was on the Match Lake.
Is John (Lasher) Larraman still running the place?
I have to say that your old school Brilo looks an absolute picture in the sunlight. :love:
It's always rather satisfying to winkle a few Carp out on minimal tackle while Carper's watch on without so much as a bite between them. :ROFLMAO:

DFL

Site Supporter
Nice report John, made me quite nostalgic. I cant have fished at Lavender for for at least 10 years, and back then more often than not it was on the Match Lake.
Is John (Lasher) Larraman still running the place?
I have to say that your old school Brilo looks an absolute picture in the sunlight. :love:
It's always rather satisfying to winkle a few Carp out on minimal tackle while Carper's watch on without so much as a bite between them. :ROFLMAO:
Yes Peter, Lasher is running the place, he took it over approx four years ago and spends countless hours there maintaining the venue.