Springwater Lakes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Geoff P

The MOGerator
Staff member
Site Supporter
I have spent a pleasant week in the company of Margaret and her parents who were down from Glasgow to celebrate varying birthdays. Mother in law 80, Margaret 50, daughter Tracy 30. To cap the week we all encamped to a local hostelry on Friday night for a meal. Very nice it was too.

But I digress. After seeing the in-laws away on their journey back to Scotland about 8am on the Saturday morning Margaret asked me if I fancied fishing the place I looked at on Wednesday. Springwater lakes, at Harford near Lampeter.

To say I was gob smacked would be putting it mildly, but not being one to let an opportunity escape I jumped at the chance. A quick 30 minutes shop, a quick trip to the local tackle shop to get bait and try for sponsorship (absolute failure 5 in the shop and only one book of tickets sold tight welsh tossers),and then back home to pack the gear.

I arrived at Springwater Lakes at 11am. It is 38 miles from Swansea. The site is run by a family from Nottinghamshire. Malcolm and Shirley Bexon and co. They can be contacted on 01558650788. the fishery consists of 1 trout lake of about 3 acres and a course lake of 3 acres. Malcolm is developing the site by opening two more lakes. Both of which will be for trout fishing and the existing trout lake will be turned into a specimen lake. There is ample space for caravans, with electric hookups and campers are made welcome.

I was there to fish until the Sunday afternoon and that cost me 12.00, including a pitch for my tent. After putting my new tent up for the first time I had a look at the lake. This is a view of the lake looking across the Island and the north east bank.

datafile.jpg

I set up a ledger rod to fish towards the island with luncheon meat on the hook and the pole to fish at 9 metres in about 6 feet of water. As this was my first time at the water I had a variety of baits including maggots, casters, worm, corn, cat food, luncheon meat and pellets. The groundbait was a mix of layers mash and Expo with sweetcorn, hemp and trout pellets added. (A mix that normally works on the Neath canal.)

That afternoon I had four tench up to 1lb, no end of skimmers and rudd with the occasional perch. I also caught some crucians of about half a pound but to catch these I had to dot the float right down, and strike at the slightest movement. Not easy when you are not used to that kind of fishing.

I packed up at about 9pm after having a thoroughly enjoyable day. Just in time as it happened because it poured down. At least I found out my new tent was waterproof.

Five o clock in the morning and I was back at the lake in a different swim. Not a good photograph but never mind.
Datafile.jpg

My intention was to fish until 2 pm then make my way home.

Today I was fishing two pole lines, one at 10 metres in about 4 foot of water and one tight to some rushes, in 30 inches of water. 5 metres out. The deeper swim was producing skimmers to about half a pound and the odd roach while the inner line was coming up with the odd tench to 2 lb with loads of small carp and crucians. Still hard to catch but great fun.

I caught nothing big but a couple of carp anglers were pulling out fish to 12lb.

I finished fishing at 2 o clock and made my way home, after a thoroughly enjoyable time.

The whole site is well looked after with well mown swims and camping site. There is a full toilet and shower block and a small, basic bait shop. Kit can be hired and the owner will give limited tuition. Disabled anglers can drive their cars to their swims.

I shall certainly be back to target the tench, which I have been told reach 7lb in weight, with bream to the same weight and carp to 18lb.

thumbsup.gif Geoff

RSSG member - are you?
Clean Banks Campaign member

Ray Owen

'Nomad'
Hi Geoff,

Looks a great place and again another good write up. I am off on hols in 2 weeks be back around the 19th Aug. After that i will be up for a weekend down there when u are available

tight lines

Ray

Where there is one Bream there are many more

G

Geoff sounds a super place mate, well kept and well run, showers and toilets, and a well kept camp site, could this be a future M/Ds fish in venueicon_smile_question.gificon_smile_question.gificon_smile_question.gificon_smile_question.gif.
Good report and pics mate,tench and crucians, very tastey

i'm going to bait up
Andy

Geoff P

The MOGerator
Staff member
Site Supporter
Ray,

Week after you get back is the week of the Welsh Fish-In at Hazel court. I am looking forward to that. (Visas to be supplied shortly.)

Give me a ring, I believe you have my number, after that and we can arrange something.

Geoff

RSSG member - are you?
Clean Banks Campaign member

Dai Fish

Site Supporter
Sounds like a very nice place Geoff, I am up for a weekend as well as Ray so maybe we can have a mini fish-in.

Dai Fish

Status
Not open for further replies.