Spring Viraemia of Carp Fisheries Carp

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
The Midlands Environment Agency has issued fisheries, angling clubs and anglers with advice on how to minimise the risk of spreading Spring Viraemia of Carp (SVC), following the announcement by the Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs (DEFRA) that the disease has been detected at the Woodland View Fishery and Woodland View Fish Farm, Hay Lane, Hadley near Droitwich, Worcestershire.

SVC is a contagious viral disease of carp and other coarse fish which has resulted in mortality rates of up to 50% in populations of susceptible fish during previous outbreaks. There is no treatment for the disease, which may be spread from one fishery to another via movement of live fish, water or contaminated fishing tackle. It is vital that this disease does not spread to other fisheries.

Following the announcement of SVC being present at Woodland View Fishery and Woodland View Fish Farm, the Department of Environment, Food and Rural Affairs (DEFRA) has placed a Designated Area Order on the fishery, prohibiting the movement of live fish on and off the site.

Anglers can do their bit to stop the spread of the disease to other fish populations. They should not use coarse fish as livebait or deadbait and nets and boots should be disinfected before and after fishing. Ideally, keepnets should be left at home. If someone fishes an SVC infected water, they must not leave without disinfecting their nets and equipment and equipment should be thoroughly dried between fishing trips.

In addition, the Agency reminds fishery managers that it is a legal requirement for all introductions or removals of fish (including livebait) at their fisheries have the prior written consent of the Environment Agency.

The Agency also recommends that:
- any fish that are introduced to their waters have a recent valid written health check which matches the batch of fish they are about to introduce.
- a temporary ban on keepnets is implemented at the discretion of individual fishery managers.
- facilities for disinfection are provided at the entrance to their waters and that anglers thoroughly disinfect their nets and boots before and after fishing.
- stress in resident fish stocks is reduced by avoiding high stock densities, preventing overfishing and ensuring that where keepnets are used they are of adequate size and fish are not retained in them any longer than necessary.
- fishery managers check their waters regularly for signs of disease. Infected fish may be lethargic and have bleeding gills or skin, abdominal swelling or swollen eyes. If a manager thinks they may have SVC at their fishery, they should immediately contact CEFAS by telephoning (01305) 206 600.

Fishery managers can also download the booklet Combating Fish Disease by visiting the DEFRA web-site at www.defra.gov.uk/fish/fishfarm/index.htm or by emailing CEFAS at fish.health.inspectorate@cefas.co.uk, or information@efishbusiness.co.uk They can also contact the Environment Agencys Fisheries and Recreation team for advice by telephoning (01543) 444 141.

Dave Datafile2.gif

Apache

Wasn't that the diesease that those illegally imported carp had, in the recent court case? It could have decimated the British population of carp.

Tight Lines,

Matt
DataFile.asp

Heathlands Angling Club - http://www.heathlandsanglingclub.8m.com

esox.20

04/11/01 - 12/10/15
In Memoriam
I just logged on to report the outbreak of SVC. Its on teletext pages for the central area.

This is the second outbreak in the midlands, Cudmore being the other.

Although its recommended for anglers to disinfect all nets, The best way is to dry all nets till there BONE dry. The source for doing this is taken from the DEFRA pamphlet on SVC.

chill out go fishing

Datafile2.asp

G

My club pond has been closed for close on two years now Dave, all thru this bloody decease.

We had the EA in,experts on SVC, all sorted out with the officials etc,

The cause of the outbreak was pinned on KEEPNETS,

I hope the fishery has nipped it in the bud,if not, god help them,a lot of income will be lost.

Good luck to the owners

bablefish.gif

catch me if u can
Andy,
Datafile3.asp

esox.20

04/11/01 - 12/10/15
In Memoriam
SVC was diagnosed at Cudmore last year. It seems that it hasnt stopped them expanding. Several new pools were dug out recently on the site. So if this disease does get spread we only have ourselves to blame. Rather than boycott these places for the sake of the fish selfish anglers keep returning so increasing the risk of spreading the disease.

chill out go fishing

Datafile2.asp

Admin

Forum Admin
Staff member
Site Supporter
Personally I think that one of the biggest problems with the spread of it is ignorance. Many anglers do not know about it nor are aware what it is and a fishery with it is highly unlikely to put a dirty great notice up telling everyone as it might mean a loss of revenue.

Most fisheries ban the use of keepnets unless in matches and as these are the biggest earners for the commercials, well I leave it up to you to fathom the rest out [V]

Dave

Trogg

the bouncer
Staff member
Site Supporter
I've never seen the use of keepnets to be honest (other than in matches), at a lot of places i hear complaints from other anglers (pleasure) "why can't we use keepnets" & other moaning along the same lines.

I look at it this way, why bother keeping fish in the nets if you're pleasure angling? the more people using nets & keeping the fish the less fish there are to catch so you're more likley to blank, then of course the moans about blanking will start!!

If i ever owned a fishery i'd ban keepnets out right & wouldn't hold matches, it would be a pleasure fishery only.

Alan
Datafile3.asp
The ball is most definitely back

G

Agree with you there Alan, i prefere not to use keep nets on commercials, dont bother me in any way,

Huge notice saying we have SVC,,

I would have thought the the EA would close the fishery down,not for the owner to put a notice up.

They closed our club pond down,so why not the commercial ????

bablefish.gif

catch me if u can
Andy,
Datafile3.asp

Last edited:

MALC

quote:Originally posted by Admin

Personally I think that one of the biggest problems with the spread of it is ignorance. Many anglers do not know about it nor are aware what it is and a fishery with it is highly unlikely to put a dirty great notice up telling everyone as it might mean a loss of revenue.

Most fisheries ban the use of keepnets unless in matches and as these are the biggest earners for the commercials, well I leave it up to you to fathom the rest out [V]

Dave

You've hit the nail on the head there Dave.

It amazes me that the EA/DEFRA do not automaticly enforce a fisherie to shut the doors when such things are found but as you say it always appears that the money talks.

Personally i would NOT entertain fishing a water with SVC for fear of spreading the problem further and jeopardiesing other fisheries.

MALC
Datafile2.asp
IT'S CATCHING ...BUT ARE YOU !!!

Polepot

Poles
I have felt that when issues of illness are discused that DEFRA and the Environment agency should co-operate.

I understand why a fishery does not close - there are clear economic reasons.

But if SVC or indeed anyother major fish illness meant that a fishery had to close - just like Foot & Mouth could the fishery seak compensation or would it then be an insureable loss.

Just a few thought from a rambling mind.

Poles

wales.gif
Great info, great guys, great fun, thats Maggot Drowners
fish.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.