Spring thoughts.

Rick123

Site Supporter
My thoughts are turning to spring now and I'm sorting out some gear. The next trips will be trotting for some roach on the Trent with bread punch after being inspired by a You-Tube clip. But come March and the local bream and tench will come into my head. It's fished for carp so the fish know fishmeal, boilies, hemp corn, and pellets. So I'll either start on a hemp and maggot groundbait approach, or straight into pellets and corn, small boilies. Have you any thoughts about spring, and what will you be fishing for?

Picture two double's.

Attachments

• IMGP0531.JPG
    IMGP0531.JPG
    511.3 KB · Views: 9
  • IMGP0616.JPG
    IMGP0616.JPG
    546.7 KB · Views: 9

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Depends on what you consider spring really, I think of it as the end of the season up until the end of April as from a fishing point of view Early March is winter and May is summer really.

Generally in April and May I have a few sessions on my local Stillwater for roach and perch and a couple sessions on the south coast for bream and smoothound. Will try have a couple canal sessions as well for whatever bites. A lot depends on if I get my annual Florida trip in as that’s looking like June but could be May.

Zerkalo

Some cracking slabs you have there.
Definitely be on the Tench as soon as it warms up! Will allow me to carry on feeder fishing as it will be closed season so rivers are out and my Bream lake doesn't open till august so I will probably be on the pole at local fisheries again. Might feel a bit odd as I've been feeder fishing throughout all of winter and quite enjoying it.

Dusty

I fished a venue a couple of times last year that I had been told was good for a Tench or 2. This turned out to be the understatement of the century as on my first visit I managed 40+ and about half that amount on a short session a few weeks later.
Come the spring I’m going to be paying a lot of attention to this place, most of the Tench I’ve caught from here have been around the 1lb mark but I’ve been told they go over 7lb.

nejohn

Site Supporter
I have been told of very little fished small water not a million miles away from me that I have been able to secure some access to, it apparently has a good head of big roach tench and some wild carp but gets very overgrown, so I am hoping to get a few sessions in before the weed growth got to heavy to try to get a bit of an idea what actually is swimming in it's murky depths. So April and May could either see me having a lot of blanks or some very satisfying sessions