Spring / Summer piking, Frowned upon?

rd115

Barbus Minimus
Site Supporter
I know it's the wrong time of the year to ask this, but if the autumn/winter carries on as wet and miserable as it is i may consider extending my pike hunt a bit into spring.

Now i know traditionally people say pike fishing is from October to March, but is it frowned upon completely to fish for them in the warmer months?

I don't mean being stupid and deadbaiting when they're more likely to completely engulf a bait, i know they can be savages in warmer water.

I was thinking of just lure fishing, with heavy gear to get them in quick, not play them for ages, and only on rivers where oxygen levels are higher, and obviously not on stupidly hot days. Would be a nice change from catching water pigs on commercials.

Thoughts? :unsure:

Carp attack

I know it's the wrong time of the year to ask this, but if the autumn/winter carries on as wet and miserable as it is i may consider extending my pike hunt a bit into spring.

Now i know traditionally people say pike fishing is from October to March, but is it frowned upon completely to fish for them in the warmer months?

I don't mean being stupid and deadbaiting when they're more likely to completely engulf a bait, i know they can be savages in warmer water.

I was thinking of just lure fishing, with heavy gear to get them in quick, not play them for ages, and only on rivers where oxygen levels are higher, and obviously not on stupidly hot days. Would be a nice change from catching water pigs on commercials.

Good question, did quite abit of summer piking years back, used to love walking the clear drains spotting pike an dropping a dead bait close, good fun, might just have to try it out again! ??

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Every pike I've ever caught has been by accident float or feeder fishing for silvers June to September and they always seems to go back fine, just got to make sure you look after them.

rudd

Site Supporter
Its more that they fight until tired out and in warmer months theres less oxygenated water to help them recover.
As long as you hell them recover, not a problem.
Some lures are designed for the summer to zip through weedbeds, lillies etc.!

squimp

Site Supporter
I used to fish a lake in Wales with 2x 20 plus pike in it. I caught the smaller of the two twice in the winter with no issues.

my fishing mate hooked a big fish one night the next summer whilst we were tench fishing (bread on the hook !). On 6 lb line it took 20+ minutes to land the fish and it turned out to be the very same pike ! Because of the warm water it didn’t want to go back upright. We spent 4 hours in the dark nursing the fish but it didn’t make it. Very sad.

if you do summer pike fish (many waters don’t allow it) fish heavy gear and really look after the fish you do catch.

Simon R

Site Supporter
It still does puzzle me why the 'pike season' is during the period when the fish is at it's heaviest due to being full of spawn.
Surely pike should be protected when about to spawn so they don't eject it prematurely.

No doubt it dates back to the days when taking a pike for the pot wasn't so unusual and also the days when slinging a pike up the bank wasn't unheard of either.

Summer pike are great fun - much leaner and fitter than they are in winter , they'll take and chase lures enthusiastically and can usually be persuaded to tail-walk too. Never noticed any fish actively in distress after catching and returning one but of course once they swim off anything could happen.

Simon

G0zzer2

Site Supporter
I don't quite understand the question. If pike fishing finishes on March 14, which is the last day of the legal season, how can one fish for pike in Spring?

Incidentally, in the old Nene River Board days pike fishing used to not be allowed until October 1, as they take more time to recover from spawning (or in fact any form of stress) than most other species. In those days it was, indeed, considered poor form to target pike in the Summer, even if it was allowed. I don't now fish for pike, though I used to.

Stuart Bowler

Is this article any good to you mate? Pike Fishing In Summer | The Do's And Don'ts -