Spring loaded hooks!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tony

Hi,

I dont know how many of you read the Anglers Mail but there was an article in there today about some guy who has developed a spring loaded double hook.
It works by being closed like a paper clip until a bite or you strike and then springs open into a double hook until it catches in the mouths. Its barbaric and the inventor needs gaffing in my opinion.
I'll see if I can copy the article and post it up here if no one minds.

Glad to see your all still here, I've been a bit busy lately and scre#ed my PC up to the point where it had to go to PC world

Catch you later, Tony

jel

Tony
I also saw that article , and i make you right , its NOT what the
sport needs in this day and age .

jel .

j white

Peter

'Mugger'
Staff member
Site Supporter
These hooks have absolutly NO place in coarse fishing whatsoever.
Peter.

Happiness is a rod in your hand.

Tony

Here goes---->

"The inventor of a spring loaded two-pronged hook has been inundted with abusive messages from anglers slamming his device as barbaric.
Berriman Spring Loaded Hook creator Phil Berriman who claims to be a down to earth englishman and an avid angler has gone on the offensive and claimed coarse anglers are cruel.
Stokton on Tees, Cleveland based Phil says the device is intended for fisherman who want to eat what they catch and admits it looks a bit gruesome. He has used the hooks to catch pike and salmon.
The spring loaded hook points are carefully snapped in when the bait is mounted, greatly reducing the gape compared to a standard hook.
When a fish takes the bait or you strike the points explode out in both directions giving a fish next to no chance of expelling th ebait without hooking itself. Imaging a safety pin which opens both sides and you have the idea.
I don't think its cruel for a fisherman to maximise his chances of landing a fish that takes his bait. However I do think its cruel to catch the same fish over and over again as coarse anglers do. They have no grounds to take the moral high ground with me said Phil.
Phil has patented his invention and is said to be selling them via his website www.springloaded hooks.com which Anglers Mail were unable to access either from home or office just before going to press.
E-mails including comments like wake up and give your head a shake, sick device and outright unethical. One threatened to write to the authorities to get it banned .
The hooks cost between 85p and 2 each and come in packs of ten in sizes from one inch gape to a massive 75mm.
Some anglers have double standards continued Phil. They are happy to eat fish that have suffered by being netted and even to feed them to their pets. But they seem quite content to give me stick as well.
They have to understand that people fish in different ways all around the world and the UK perspective is not neccessarily the right one. Like it or not most people in the world do not throw back fish they have caught he added.
Pike and Zander ace Neville Fickling said they sound too big to me and i cant see coarse anglers using them, I dont see them catching on.
The row evokes bitter memories of the Snagglemaster, an innovative device launched by southern tackle developer John Sheppard in the late 80's.The four inch metal plate designed to lodge in a pikes throat and remove the need for hooks on a trace never made the tackle shops after being fiercly condemned as barbaric by yhr Pike Anglers Club and the angling press"

I hope the AM dont mind me copying it, but I thought you should allbe able to see the article -- what is this guy on!!

Tony

Trogg

the bouncer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Tony if i am to understand the copyright laws correctly you have changed some of the original content of the article so it should be ok to copy it onto here.

As for the hooks I'm afraid as i am a moderator on this site it would be improper of me to post me the exact words i said after reading the article even moreso after reading the " coarse anglers are cruel"!!!

Lets just say that even Chubby brown would've been shocked

Alan
You've just been moderated

Status
Not open for further replies.