Spring Lea, Lea Cross, Shropshire

WickerDave

Site Supporter
A last chance to fish yesterday afternoon before the inevitable lockdown. The venue was Spring Lea, which is a 5 pool complex where the pools have different characteristics, with the exception of the two main carp match pools, Mallard and Orfe, which are both tree lined long rectangles.

DSC05349.JPG

The only two other anglers already there were both fishing on one of the smaller pools. I started on Mallard and found a lot of carp basking at the far end with some cruising the margins.

DSC05320.JPG

Surface fishing is banned here, so the plan was just to wander around with a shallow bait under a small crystal waggler and flick this in front of visible fish. This worked well, the second fish of the day was a long common of 11.5lb that turned out to be the biggest of the day. You have to use fishery supplied landing nets here which are a bit on the small side!

DSC05326.JPG

A move to Orfe halfway through the session found plenty of carp but spread throughout the pool rather than concentrated at one end. The Orfe fish were as obliging as those in Mallard.

The session tally was 21 carp and a single roach and rudd for a 135lb total. Apart from the common the rest of the fish were from 9lbish to 3lbish, with most of the bigger fish being stumpy near leather mirrors.

DSC05333.JPG

DSC05341.JPG

dc81

I know what you mean about the net sizes there - I have this one last summer and struggled to get in in the landing net!

2019-07-25 19.47.34.jpg

WickerDave

Site Supporter
Nice common @dc81 (y). The triangular nets they supply on Horseshoe are better, those round ones are a pain as they are so shallow.

WickerDave

Site Supporter
A long afternoon trip here yesterday, on Mallard this time. It was sunny when I started with plenty of carp cruising shallow and in the margins. Feeding fishery 4mm pellets in the margins soon had carp rooting around. However, the showers then came, and they were heavy! This didn’t put the carp off, there is a feeding boil at the left edge of the rain picture.

DSC05973.jpg

Margin carp were landed at regular intervals and somehow a couple of gudgeon managed to get in amongst them.

DSC05977.jpg

All on luncheon meat until a slow spell late on when I then tried different baits, soft hooker pellets and sweetcorn made no difference, worm produced immediate bites from micro perch, and then banded 8mm hard pellets produced a good run of fish.

The carp were a mix of regular shaped commons and mirrors, with only a couple of the stumpy mirrors.

DSC05980.jpg

DSC05983.jpg

The rain cleared late afternoon for a dry end to the session.

DSC05987.jpg

The final tally was 26 carp from 3lbish to 9lbish and a few tiddlers for 145lbish.

WickerDave

Site Supporter
After a biteless Severn session the previous afternoon, it was time for some commercial carp therapy yesterday afternoon. There was only one other angler on Mallard at the car park end so I set up at the far end.

DSC06110.jpg

It had started sunny and calm, with a few carp visible cruising in the middle. A shallow bait repeatedly flicked in front of them was eventually taken and a 5lb common was landed. The wind then got up and brought in a long spell of heavy drizzle before calming again. Despite the cooler weather recently feeding the margin with pellets soon had waving tails as the carp moved in. This produced steadily all afternoon for eleven carp with several of the stumpy mirrors in the 8-10lb range.

DSC06103.jpg

The method feeder rod flicked out to the middle was much slower, only four smaller carp and a couple of skimmers, the first bream I’ve caught from there.

The final margin carp nudged the total over 100lb.

WickerDave

Site Supporter
A calmish and sunnyish afternoon today which gave me a chance to stalk some of the basking fish in Horseshoe, trying to pick out the bigger carp. The first fish of the day was a venue personal best at 15.4, a long, lean and slightly manky common...

DSC06131.jpg

The resident kingfisher was flitting about all afternoon, just visible perched in the right edge of the tree...

DSC06137.jpg