Spray bars

Dusty

Morning all,

5 or 6 years ago I used to use a spray bar for fishing the pole which helped with cattying bait in and keeping the pole balanced.

I’ve noticed on a lot of fishing videos and from fishing matches myself that hardly any anglers use one, preferring to trap the pole with their elbow instead.

Is there a reason for this? I’m considering adding one to my inventory for fishing at 13m, will it be more of a hindrance than a help?

adz1189

Adam
Probably down to preference. I used to use one when I fished on a seat box but found it better for fishing the waggler than the pole. I found it got in the way of landing fish and could never get it at that exact perfect height for the pole. But I reckon it’s down to personal preference!

Scribe

Official Supplier of Pork Pies to the Drowners
Site Supporter
I used to use a spray bar, but found it either got in the way or needed adjusting a lot, if I was fishing at 14.5 metres then wanted to switch to 10 or 5 metres. Also in a match it's a tad more awkward / slower to transfer a fish from landing net to keep net. If you do want one I have two Preston and one Maver spray bars if you want one.

Dusty

I used to use a spray bar, but found it either got in the way or needed adjusting a lot, if I was fishing at 14.5 metres then wanted to switch to 10 or 5 metres. Also in a match it's a tad more awkward / slower to transfer a fish from landing net to keep net. If you do want one I have two Preston and one Maver spray bars if you want one.

Thanks mate.
How much are you selling them for?

Scribe

Site Supporter
@Dusty Rhodes was it one of the Preston ones you wanted I think they both fit 30 mm legs. I will dig them out and check them and take some pictures later.

How about you stick a fiver in a charity box of your choice and if you pay the postage you can have one, how does that sound ?

solwood

Site Supporter
Hi scribe

Strangely I posted to see what bump bar works for original octoplus, toy wouldn't have an idea would you

I am sure they are much thinner than 30mm

Dusty

@Dusty Rhodes was it one of the Preston ones you wanted I think they both fit 30 mm legs. I will dig them out and check them and take some pictures later.

How about you stick a fiver in a charity box of your choice and if you pay the postage you can have one, how does that sound ?

Hi Scribe, I have a Preston seatbox so I assume the Preston would fit?
That’s a great offer thanks, really appreciate it!

Scribe

Site Supporter
Just checked and will fit a 32 mm leg I had it on my Preston Absolute

Scribe

Site Supporter
Hi scribe

Strangely I posted to see what bump bar works for original octoplus, toy wouldn't have an idea would you

I am sure they are much thinner than 30mm

Hi @solwood sorry I am not sure my self are they square legs I know there are a number of inserts that could solve the problem if it's square leg / small size.

solwood

Site Supporter
Just to complicate, they have octagonal

They do an insert, add I managed to pick up a second hand bar and they had a couple of inserts for only £10!! Today

Neil ofthe nene

Doing things differently.
Site Supporter
All I can add is that I have never used one (nor a footplate) and have never felt the need for one.

But then fishing less than 10m most of the time ………..

Neil ofthe nene

Doing things differently.
Site Supporter

Are you not both fishing Janson's in two weeks?

chefster

Shedster!!
Site Supporter
All I can add is that I have never used one (nor a footplate) and have never felt the need for one.

But then fishing less than 10m most of the time ………..
I wouldn't be without one on really windy days when you need to hold a bait dead still, even fishing short

Scribe

Site Supporter
@chefster have to agree with you there it's probably the only time I would use one though.

chefster

Shedster!!
Site Supporter
@chefster have to agree with you there it's probably the only time I would use one though.
I sometimes have it on just to rest the top kit on when baiting, or unhooking, but don't use it to fish with, and I fish 16m if I need to, but don't need a bar unless it's really windy

Dusty

There must be an art to cattying in whilst holding the pole then! I really struggled with it the other day, found that the pole kept swaying to the side whilst trying to trap it under my elbow.