Sports Personality of the Year 2021

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Teenage US Open champion Emma Raducanu has been voted BBC Sports Personality of the Year 2021.

Raducanu, then 18, ended Britain's 44-year wait for a women's Grand Slam singles champion with her remarkable victory at Flushing Meadows.
Her fairytale win followed a run to the Wimbledon fourth round in July on her Grand Slam main draw debut.

In a public vote, diver Tom Daley placed second and swimmer Adam Peaty was third

A well-deserved award in my opinion....

Neil ofthe nene

Doing things differently.
Site Supporter
A result as predictable as Strictly.

But yes, one heck of an achievement for the young lady (both actually) and quite rightly recognised.

templegater

Site Supporter
She had a great win in the USA and is a tremendous prospect but still only a teenager and has a career ahead of her.
How can the heavyweight champion of the world not get in the top 3? Beggars belief. BBC politics have discouraged Tyson from supporting the concept of the programme.
Not a patch on the occasion it used to be in my opinion.

Reuben

Site Supporter
A deserved result imo. Let’s hope that winning the US Open isn’t the only success of her career.

Chris Calder

Site Supporter
She had a great win in the USA and is a tremendous prospect but still only a teenager and has a career ahead of her.
How can the heavyweight champion of the world not get in the top 3? Beggars belief. BBC politics have discouraged Tyson from supporting the concept of the programme.
Not a patch on the occasion it used to be in my opinion.
Because Fury publicly said he did not want to be in it to start with, so they duly obliged and did not vote for him :)

baboboy

Site Supporter
Oh come on, there was none of the big guns entered in the US Open. She hasn’t won a match since. Whilst Adam Peaty goes up against the best in the world, and wins, often breaking world records. As already stated World Heavyweight Champion doesn’t even make the frame.
The only missing "Big Gun" was Serena. The others were still their. She even dispatched the Olympic Champion en route.

Geoff P

The MOGerator
Staff member
Site Supporter
Oh come on, there was none of the big guns entered in the US Open. She hasn’t won a match since. Whilst Adam Peaty goes up against the best in the world, and wins, often breaking world records. As already stated World Heavyweight Champion doesn’t even make the frame.
You can only beat what is in front of you!!! And at the US open she did that, without losing a set or being involved in a tie break.

baboboy

Site Supporter
True, I believe she beat one seeded player. Lost all her matches since. I don’t believe that warrants SPOTY.
She beat 2 seeded players Belinda Bencic seeded 11 and Maria Sakkari seeded 17. But the fact she beat every player ranked higher than her without dropping a set is unbelievable. She's also won her first WTA matches in Romania on the way to the quarter finals. After he US Open victory and she's only 18.

baboboy

Site Supporter
You can only beat what is in front of you!!! And at the US open she did that, without losing a set or being involved in a tie break.
Well said Geoffrey she also dismantled some season tour players.

Keith Sparky

Site Supporter
I thought the key bit of SPOTY was supposed to be the personality bit .... its rubbish nowadays as you cannot have a personality without offending someone or something... just ditch the award and show as we all know its worthless

RMNDIL

Site Supporter
I worry ER will end up being a celebrity and not a tennis player. Shame if it happens. Hope not.