Spooling a Reel

Status
Not open for further replies.

harty

hi when you use cheap backing line for your spool how do you know how much to put on ??? when i do it im always left with a lip on the spool after i put my good line on i can never seem to get it right

Cooky

if you have a spare spool the same size put your good line onto that then the backing that way you have the right amount of line on then wind the line from that spool back onto your other spool

harty

great idea unfortunatly only have the 1 spool each on the 3 reels i use which are different sizes ...2500 4000 6000

Cooky

the long way round would be do as i said then hand wind back onto an old empty line spool then back onto the reel from there time consuming but accurate

banksy

Life Member
Site Supporter
Originally posted by Cookyr

the long way round would be do as i said then hand wind back onto an old empty line spool then back onto the reel from there time consuming but accurate

I'm going bloody nuts here, thinking about this !

If you fill the one available spool with as much "good" line as you have, then top it up with backing to the correct level ...

Then you wind it onto an empty spool / spare reel, the backing is loaded first, then the good line follows and ends up on top.

So when you re-load onto your original reel, the good line goes on first, and is covered by the backing.

My brain hurts now, but I think you have to re-spool it twice, before reloading to your original reel.

[?][?][?]

getfishing

Pete
Originally posted by banksy

If you fill the one available spool with as much "good" line as you have, then top it up with backing to the correct level ...

Then you wind it onto an empty spool / spare reel, the backing is loaded first, then the good line follows and ends up on top.

So when you re-load onto your original reel, the good line goes on first, and is covered by the backing.

My brain hurts now, but I think you have to re-spool it twice, before reloading to your original reel.

[?][?][?]
you're right banksy, hit the nail on the head. I had a think about this when I reloaded one of my spools and in the end just filled it with backing untill it looked about right and then loaded the good line.

PS My backing is a bulk spool of 4lb sensor, 6lb would be better.

Last edited:

Cooky

Originally posted by banksy

[?][?][?]

correct missed that bit out for some reason lol thats why iu said time consuming as it takes a while

banksy

Life Member
Site Supporter
Thank God for that, I'm going to bed now.
[;)]

harty

sorry for giving some of you brain ache but your replies are very much appreciated ,thanks again ..Chris

Stretch1066

Life member
Site Supporter
Spool up line good stuff first backing on last.
Find yourself an empty football pitch and a handfull of garden canes, cane in ground attach line walk to other end of pitch, another cane loop line round and walk to other end of pitch. So on and so forth zig zagging until all the line is payed out. Back to the first cane fix line to reel and wind line on collecting canes as you go, job done and you have had some good excersize as well.

Cooky

2 canes would do 1 to loop the first loop over and thew second like wise

Trendy Angler

This is turning into the most complicated spooling up I've ever come across. They'll be diagrams and blueprints up in a minute [:D]

Reminds me of when I was a kid I would use me nans wool as backing coz it was free and line wasn't [:)]

Cooky

Originally posted by Trendy Angler

This is turning into the most complicated spooling up I've ever come across. They'll be diagrams and blueprints up in a minute [:D]

Reminds me of when I was a kid I would use me nans wool as backing coz it was free and line wasn't [:)]

tell the truth it was your wool and you used to make pom poms from it with 2 bits of card cut into discs with a hole in the middle

Trendy Angler

Originally posted by Trendy Angler

tell the truth it was your wool and you used to make pom poms from it with 2 bits of card cut into discs with a hole in the middle

Nan... is that you?

pitindall

jeez....[:D] just buy a spare spool and do it the way explained or buy bulk spools of line!(none wasted as you can turn it round when it needs changing!)i personally fill the whole spool with mainline and reverse it after a few months.[:)]

Trendy Angler

I bought some bulk mono on a recommendation from this site

http://www.mullarkeys.co.uk/angling/fishing/mono/0/28/

Cheap as chips and good stuff.

JayZS

My God, some of you make life difficult don't you?

1) Using cheap bulk backing of similar diameter to your good line, fill the spool right up to your exact required level.
2) remove 100* yards of backing and discard safely
3) add 100* yards of your good line.

Easy.

* dilute to taste.

No need for multiple spools, and you can safely let Man United play their game, uninterrupted by garden canes and home made spider webs.

Last edited:

pauln

Dreadexit
Site Supporter
Originally posted by JayZS

My God, some of you make life difficult don't you?

1) Using cheap bulk backing of similar diameter to your good line, fill the spool right up to your exact required level.
2) remove 100* yards of backing and discard safely
3) add 100* yards of your good line.

Easy.

* dilute to taste.

No need for multiple spools, and you can safely let Man United play their game, uninterrupted by garden canes and home made spider webs.

This assumes the backing is the same thickness as the good line

JayZS

Nope: it only assumes that people read the post properly before replying[:)]

Status
Not open for further replies.