Spool sizes

MrBen

Site Supporter
481266B9-4934-4B71-B3CA-F86D3C744D69.jpeg
Renewing some reel lines today and I often see questions about reel sizes so put the sizes all together from left to right 1000, 2500, 3000, 4000 and what daiwa call a distance.

Interesting to see how much wider but not taller the distance is compared to the 4000, and the larger the size the more tapered the spool lip is.

Pompous git

Site Supporter
My usual reels are Shimano all 2500, if I were to fish heavier and have bigger reels say 400 again they would be all the same type.

Having the same spools makes life a lot easier.

I bottled out this morning because of the frost, turning into a right girls blouse.

Sam Vimes

Site Supporter
Be very wary when attempting to be definitive when it comes to reel numbering and sizes (spool and reel itself). Daiwa have recently changed their numbering system. A 4000 Daiwa reel of a few years back is not the same size as their very latest 4000 sized reels.

That's before you consider the fact that 2500 (or 3000/4000 etc) sized reels from a single manufacturer can have significantly different sized spools (and rotors) fitted to them.

Each of the following spools are Shimano 4000 sizes.
DSC_0479.JPG

DSC_0480.JPG

Pompous git

Site Supporter
My shimano`s are two seido and one each of exage and stradic all the same generation. As Samuel says beware.

Dave Spence

MD virtual champion 2020. Golden Pie winner 2018.
Site Supporter
My usual reels are Shimano all 2500, if I were to fish heavier and have bigger reels say 400 again they would be all the same type.

I bottled out this morning because of the frost, turning into a right girls blouse.
Was the right girl okay with that John?🥰

Pompous git

Site Supporter
Not trying to be coarse but I can remember the first time I managed to get a girl`s blouse undone and get a view of the lovely little
apple like thingy with a pink nose, the blouse was white with a tiny red rose pattern.

One of life`s great pleasures looking down a nice blouse and its free:)

Back on topic, I feel like buying a new reel. Don`t need one but so what? It will probably be an exage but if the spools don`t my older
ones I won`t bother.

MrBen

Site Supporter
It does but when you sometimes go drop shotting and other times long distance feeder fishing, with anything else between, having them all the same just wouldn’t work for either tackle balance or efficiency.