Sponsored anglers videos and lockdown rules?

markyboy

This is not meant to cast aspersions on people or anything like that but am just wondering if some are using the 'travel for work' ruling and others are using the 'stay local for exercise' rule. For example the latest videos from the likes of Jon Arthur, Rob Wooton, Des Shipp and Joe Carass have all been very close to home. The latest video from Andy May and Jamie Hughes could not be considered local. If the latter is using the 'travel for work' rule then maybe they should refer to this because I know there will be some that think it's ok for Jamie to travel from the Wirral to Weston Pools so I can do the same. Just wondering what peoples thoughts are because I do enjoy watching the videos from the top guys during this lockdown so dont want them to stop but also dont want the 'rules' being broken.

Maesknoll

Chris
Staff member
Site Supporter
This is not meant to cast aspersions on people or anything like that but am just wondering if some are using the 'travel for work' ruling and others are using the 'stay local for exercise' rule. For example the latest videos from the likes of Jon Arthur, Rob Wooton, Des Shipp and Joe Carass have all been very close to home. The latest video from Andy May and Jamie Hughes could not be considered local. If the latter is using the 'travel for work' rule then maybe they should refer to this because I know there will be some that think it's ok for Jamie to travel from the Wirral to Weston Pools so I can do the same. Just wondering what peoples thoughts are because I do enjoy watching the videos from the top guys during this lockdown so dont want them to stop but also dont want the 'rules' being broken.
Difference between sponsored and full time angler.

Paul Cresswell

Site Supporter
Des Shipp on one of his q and a sessions said he went from Yate where he lives to Acorn fishery which is definitely over 20 miles, didn’t sound like he was filming! I’m working on 5 miles being local so sadly not fishing!

carphauler

Barbel Tickler
Difference between sponsored and full time angler.
Irrelevant, if you make money from YouTube, it can be classed as work so you can do anything that falls into those guidelines, there's loads of YouTubers travelling all over the country filming.

Ken the Pacman

Site Supporter
I travel up to around 50 miles each way at times to collect bait for the shop when I cant get them to deliver, did it all last year nobody has ever stopped me.
I class it as work because I would not go unless it was necessary.

Deejay8

Site Supporter
I guess most anglers who make money from doing videos on YouTube, can choose to go fishing where they want and if they film it, legally claim it as work. It's up to them if they choose to or not.

Reuben

Site Supporter
There are far more people breaking the rules who aren’t working than a couple of blokes trying to do their jobs. Dob them in to the authorities if it bothers you that much.

Deejay8

Site Supporter
Not forgetting that their latest video content on YouTube is providing entertainment viewing for us in Lockdown. Jamie and Andy fishing a venue away from their area, is not really much different to a celebrity leaving their home to appear live on a television chat show. It's work it's legal.

Markywhizz

Clueless member
Site Supporter
How do you know that the latest videos going on youtube were not filmed before lockdown? It usually takes a while to edit them etc.

OldTaff

Site Supporter
I’d say their travel falls under the work category - they earn a living from the companies who sponsor them and these videos so it’s fine.

Mike atkinson

Site Supporter
I havnt got a fishery within 5 miles of me, that’s open, I drove 20 mile yesterday, got out me van, set up, fished, paid my day ticket into a landing net, packed up, came home, I don’t see any harm in that, 1st time out in ages, I’ll go demented if I don’t fish, now the weather’s getting better 👍

markyboy

There are far more people breaking the rules who aren’t working than a couple of blokes trying to do their jobs. Dob them in to the authorities if it bothers you that much.
If you read the original post it was purely a question, nowhere did I say it bothered me.

Dave Spence

MD virtual champion 2020. Golden Pie winner 2018.
Site Supporter
I'm sticking to the rules for my wife's, and my own benefit. We don't want to catch it, we don't want to spread it so we comply with the advice given. Once lockdown is over I will carry on as I am now until I am satisfied that we are safe.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
If they are doing it for income then that’s fine by me.

Tbh the whole local thing is a bit trivial anyway. Certainly people shouldn’t be going on over an hour round trips as it’s just not in the spirit of things as much as anything plus you are definitely not particularly local then as are very much going to a different area. But I personally think anything less than that is fine seeing as people are doing such journeys for work and shopping every day anyway. So on the tiny chance you did spread it you wouldn’t actually be spreading it any further than it’s being spreaded already. Plus in every day life such distances would be considered local.

Still I’ve personally not ventured more than about 5 miles this lockdown but purely from the point of view of avoiding potential aggravation. From a conscience point of view I’d have no problem going 3 or 4 times as far as whether I sit in a field 5 miles away or 15-20 miles away doesn’t make any difference on its own if I’m on my own. It’s not how far you go but where you go that determines the risk, distance won’t spread it social interaction will. When you think about it it’s probably ever so slightly more risky on my local commercial than it is club waters further afield given you have to interact with someone to pay your day ticket.

Still seems like just another 5 weeks to put up with it so not too bad in the grand scheme of things however unnecessary it seems.

mikeb511

Site Supporter
HI i no Andy very well we fish in the same teams for a long time IT IS HIS JOB for me, I look forward to seeing their videos (y)(y)

Whisker

Site Supporter
Yup it’s their job. No different to me travelling from Derbyshire > Basingstoke > Southampton last week (key worker I might add) except I don’t fish to make a living... jammy gits! 😝