Sponsored angler videos

crackatoa

Site Supporter
A few years back I was laid up for 6 months, Nov-April, stuck at home on my own all day. All I did was watch fishing vids on YouTube. I took it all in, everything the top anglers said. I was itching to put my new knowledge into action. I retied all my rigs, just as the pros did and thought I would be unbeatable when I got back on the bank.
How wrong I was. I suffered greatly from info overkill. All the simple things that I had previously done and had worked for me were ignored.
To say I ended up in a confused mess is not exaggerating. It must have taken 12 months for me to get back to the level I was at before.

Maesknoll

Chris
Staff member
Site Supporter
A slight take on Neils video idea, I would like to see a top name shadow an avg Joe in a match asking why are you doing that, have you considered this etc etc.... I think you would get an insight of both the angler and the coach thought patterns. Like having a golf caddy for the day......
Depends how receptive and able the average Joe is, it might all end in tears.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
I'm the opposite to crackatoa, in one ear and out the other. But I do find myself watching a lot of videos on places and methods that I'd never fish.

I find them more fun to watch on places that I do fish to see how people do things differently and what results they get. I end up watching everything I subscribe to though, too much time on my hands.

Northantslad

'Any indications?
I ask myself the following when watching the first few minutes and with a view to watching to aid learning, i get my entertainment on the bank personally.

Is it on a venue i can access or part of a venue i can access?
Most of the time they are, but am always wary if i get a sniff its on someone's private venue or stretch- no good to me at all. I find these ones give false hope to people not in the know too.

If good so far, then can i recreate the setting?
Again, strange when you watch some of them, that they are the only person, or at least one of very few on the venue. So not realistic. I need info on how to catch when all pegs are taken and bait is going in left right and centre like on a typical Saturday. If the venue has been shut specially and or prepped in advance, then again, no good to me.

If even the bait bucket at the start is turned round with the logo visible to the viewer, then it usually goes off, so unless i am looking for reviews on a piece of kit (rare as i like to get real reviews) seeing kit being plugged throughout, again not for me.

I suppose its all down to what people want and why they are watching them overall, but unless shown otherwise, i am usually sceptical, i think too many times people watch them and adopt a see it do it mindset, when sometimes its impossible to do so or they try and do it on their local, after buying all the kit too, whereby they and the platform for it is a tackle manufacturers dream.

G0zzer2

Site Supporter
I subscribe to a few channels on youtube with tackle companies or sponsored anglers, seems they always bag up. Maybe this is down to various factors. Are there any videos of such anglers where they don't catch much at all, and if so, would they still post it or would this be bad publicity?

We had this question many times on Angling Times and the other mags. The answer is that while a good angler can give brilliant tips, if you can't show the reader or viewer those tips actually working a) they could be sceptical and b) it's easier to remember something if you see it actually work (preferably several times).

So the bottom line is that you can't learn much by watching someone catch nothing. Nothing to do with bad publicity, because we all know that not every angler - even the best - go all season without having some poor days.

HawkerMan

Site Supporter
I fish with some very good anglers and they will fish with the lightest float, lowest diameter hook length, smallest hook and lightest elastic they can get away with. The most important part is the feeding, how much and how often. They normally start on pellet and switch to maggot if that doesn't work.
It amazes me how they know when to change and how quickly they work out how they want to feed and what the fish want.
They are very confident in what they do and comes with the results to prove it.

JLK

I'm the opposite to crackatoa, in one ear and out the other. But I do find myself watching a lot of videos on places and methods that I'd never fish.
I've noticed this. 😃 You ask a lot of questions about certain methods then ignore the advice given, then come back and say how bad you faired. 🤦🏻‍♂️🤦🏻‍♂️
Same with items of tackle. Ask a million questions on rods/reels etc, then go out and buy yourself something completely different. It's quite funny really.👍🏻😃

Maverick

Site Supporter
For myself it started with my Grandaughter wanting to see the big fish I had caught :p

I took a few pics on the phone next time I was out fishing, these wern't good enough as Grandad was taking the photo's and wasn't in them.

I then asked on here about phone mounts and remote buttons that would enable me to pose with a fish and take a photo myself that I could show her.

A fellow member then put me onto a small Yi action camera that only cost about £20. Then I bought spare batteries and a charger, camera mounts and entered the intriguing world of editing videos and how to start a youtube channel and upload the results for her to watch.

I even spent about £200 building a new computer just to do the editing on, as my old one wasn't fast enough. Costs and the desire to do it can run away with you.

She said they were boring :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

It becomes very addictive at first and you find you are filming everytime you go fishing and uploading all kinds of rubbish onto youtube. Thankfully I came to my senses and haven't done one for a long time now.

Did get a little bit better, and realised silent videos are boring to everyone, you have to talk on them and describe what you are doing and at least attempt to make them appear interesting. I did get a few kind comments on one or two but I never wanted to do it seriously like those who make money from it.

The editing takes a lot of time and effort and I take my hat off to those that do it well.

Have a go and get it out of your system. You won't regret it and it's always something you can leave behind for you family to watch when your long gone. That was my reasons behind having a go. (y)

PearTree

Calder Exile
Site Supporter

I find them more fun to watch on places that I do fish to see how people do things differently and what results they get. I end up watching everything I subscribe to though, too much time on my hands.
Tell me about it :

😋

PearTree

Calder Exile
Site Supporter
We had this question many times on Angling Times and the other mags. The answer is that while a good angler can give brilliant tips, if you can't show the reader or viewer those tips actually working a) they could be sceptical and b) it's easier to remember something if you see it actually work (preferably several times).

So the bottom line is that you can't learn much by watching someone catch nothing. Nothing to do with bad publicity, because we all know that not every angler - even the best - go all season without having some poor days.
One of the things that stands out for me that had a major influence on my fishing was Ivan Mark's weekly column in the late 70's / 80's.

This was a guy at top of his game explaining the basics in a way that even I, just starting out at the time, could relate to. The articles he did on how to cast correctly, illustrated with photos at each stage of the process, set me on my way, and still stick in my memory.

angry_vincent

i also find sponsored videos to be of lower value, videos online are victims of predefined algorithms -- likes, shares, ratings, etc. usually, in such media products, anglers use too thick mainline, too big floats, some usual baits and their preparations, then video gets edited, as MarkW pointed so that you are misinformed and fall into distorted impression. Not all of such videos an it's my own impression. Maybe, a few do actually present videos with tackle and tactics as they fish in reality. You need to filter aggressively through what you see. I learned some good tips but also was confused greatly many times

rudd

Site Supporter
Not aimed at you @Zerkalo 👍but most of the people on here who watch all the videos from the top anglers ,think they know it all after watching them , Ha! One minute they’re a beginner, then “hey presto” they seem to know everything
I dont know everything but know enough so dont watch videos and to to OP, if I did why would I want to watch someone blanking as I am an expert at that! 😉

Jimpanzee

Site Supporter
I enjoy watching anyone catching fish, whether it’s a pro angler or an amateur. I know before watching the odds are stacked in the Pros favour with regards to choice of waters, swim location etc..but if the angler is a good presenter than I generally enjoy watching them. Des Shipp, Andy May and Carl & Alex are 3 I enjoy watching the most.

Realistically I’m never going to get close to their standard but I generally watch these videos for enjoyment more than anything else..

For tutorial style videos I will watch any presenter provided it is short and easy to follow..

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
I mostly watch tackle company videos tbh as the quality of filming makes them more TVs show like. Mostly watch drennan, Preston, cadence, browning, matrix, sonubaits, guru off the top of my head. Then do watch a few individuals as well like Avon angling, winning ways, Dave Roberts, John Arthur, Rob Wooten, Rich Wilby, IP fishing, our own @MarkW etc plus catch more media who obviously compile videos of all sorts. Then I watch loads of American stuff as well. TV programs like addictive fishing, world of saltwater fishing, watermen, flats class, reel animals, into the blue, saltwater experience etc and then a loads of individuals channels as well.

I watch videos both for entertainment as in to see the fish, surroundings, personalities etc and to learn from the tactics and tackle etc but it is the former primarily as there's only so much I can take in or would even want to take in. I just need to be a good enough angler to catch enough to have a good day so I don't get bogged down in the detail required for that extra 10% too much.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
I've noticed this. 😃 You ask a lot of questions about certain methods then ignore the advice given, then come back and say how bad you faired. 🤦🏻‍♂️🤦🏻‍♂️
Same with items of tackle. Ask a million questions on rods/reels etc, then go out and buy yourself something completely different. It's quite funny really.👍🏻😃
I can't remember fairing that badly (had a slow start to this year but that's for other reasons), and have been pleased with everything I've bought except my seat box. This seems an unfair perception, but a few people have said it now so it must be true?

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
I watch videos both for entertainment as in to see the fish, surroundings, personalities etc and to learn from the tactics and tackle etc but it is the former primarily as there's only so much I can take in or would even want to take in. I just need to be a good enough angler to catch enough to have a good day so I don't get bogged down in the detail required for that extra 10% too much.
This is a good way of putting it and applies to me to.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Advice on the bank usually comes from 'venue experts', it's worth listening to them depending on what they have to say. In a coaching situation it is easier to follow advice than online because what I've noticed is it sometimes descends into 'battle of the egos' with advice that sometimes isn't appropriate for the situation in hand.

G0zzer2

Site Supporter
I note that several posters seem to have made up their minds before watching a video that if the angler is 'sponsored' the information will be next to useless, indeed misleading. And that is one reason there is a gap between the better anglers and the not-so-good. The refusal to learn.